Thread: Combining Acoustic & Electro

User Info Menu

Default Combining Acoustic & Electro

Hey guys,

The story is, i sold an acoustic kit to buy an electronic kit, Yamaha dtxpress 3, as i was moving into apartments, now however i am moving to a property where i can play and have gigs coming up, so i have bought a quality kit to gig with but have stretched myself financially to do it that i have not the money to complete it with cymbals So what I was thinking is setting up the elec kit up around the acoustic and using the 7 sensor pads all set to cymbals, which means having to play with amps and stuff, the sound is not bad on the electro kit. has anyone done this, any advice and stuff aprecciato muchimuchi

Will.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Combining Acoustic & Electro

Well, okay; that will get you through the transition time; but you'll probably find you are wanting to get real cymbals real soon.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

woo first post!

I'm in a 3 piece prog rock band. we are just guitar bass drums. if you've seen a rush show live, you know where i'm going with this lol. I bought a roland SPDS sampler pad to help me start handling some of our bands keyboard parts. our bass player and guitarist both share a set of MIDI foot pedals to trigger stuff as well. I've mounted a small roland PD8 trigger pad right inbetween my hi hat and snare drum (ala neil peart) and i also have a trigger pedal to the left of my hi hat, and another to the right of my bass drum pedal. It has worked so effectively, I have been pleasently surprised. I use 2 little 50 watt amps for band practice, and the samples still sound pretty good. It took me a long time to get all the levels of the electronics to come close to the sound of my acoustics, but the project has paid off immensly.

Another thing, i've found that electric cymbal sounds aren't really all that great. there is a guitar solo in one of our songs where i switch to electronic drums, and for a while i would also use a crash cymbal sample in this section. i really don't know how to describe the sound other than "fake."

If you take the time to research and set everything up right, and fine tune the electronics to your liking, you'll be very happy i think. Hope i've provided at least some helpful info!

User Info Menu

I agree that you can probably get by for a while, but you will be longing for some real cymbals soon. Most electronic cymbal sounds are pretty fake sounding...

BTW, I saw some really good deals on Zildjian cymbal packs on one of the online music sites, (you know, the one that is your 'friend'?)... Right now they are throwing in a free cymbal and a Zildjian bar stool with a bunch of the packs...

User Info Menu

That was subtle peach!

User Info Menu

Combining ur acoustic and electric set wouldnt be that hard, as long as u have room... i mean look at neil peart. His set is combined between electric and acoustic and it sounds great!

User Info Menu

you guys friggin rock
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

I like combining acoustic and electric !!

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shift85 View Post
    Hey guys,

The story is, i sold an acoustic kit to buy an electronic kit, Yamaha dtxpress 3, as i was moving into apartments, now however i am moving to a property where i can play and have gigs coming up, so i have bought a quality kit to gig with but have stretched myself financially to do it that i have not the money to complete it with cymbals So what I was thinking is setting up the elec kit up around the acoustic and using the 7 sensor pads all set to cymbals, which means having to play with amps and stuff, the sound is not bad on the electro kit. has anyone done this, any advice and stuff aprecciato muchimuchi

Will.
    use them for anything but cymbals!

i Just got rid of a TD 20 kit because the cymbals SUCKED....if youre talking special effects, they rule becase they are controlled so easy...if you'll notice on neil pearts kit, he uses them for special effects only. When he wants the walls to breathe he lays hammer to the DW's.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes