Thread: WOW! it realli holds me!

User Info Menu

Default WOW! it realli holds me!

Well, i was just wondering how many people have tried standing on their drum heads. I've tried my snare head and was soo amused that it could hold my weight! Just wondering if any1 has been surprised then moved on to try their tom heads and snap! "Goes through the head".. i know one of my mates.. lets just say curiosity got the better of him. haha
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

Default Re: WOW! it realli holds me!

o_O
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Snare heads will be the only heads that can do this, \maybe the kick heads as well.

Reso heads, couldn't do this no matter what.

User Info Menu

That line sounds like that joke:

"What are redneck's last words?"

"Hey, fellers, watch this!"
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

what is the purpose or reasoning behind standing on your heads ? is it some new tai chi move that I just dont know about yet ?!?!
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Some people promote standing on a head while slightly tensioned as the way to seat a head. Some head manufactures need to have the glue ring popped when the head is tensioned, and standing on them was an extreme way to accomplish this. I personally think that it is an easy way to damage bearing edges and heads and pull a shell out of round or distort it and would never attempt this under any circumstances! But that is just me to each their own.

User Info Menu

Yea, Simon Phillips, in one of his videos, starts jumping up and down on his bass drum. I said to myself, "Oh no... he didn't just do that!" LOL

Although quality heads will usually hold you, I don't think it's a wise practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yea, Simon Phillips, in one of his videos, starts jumping up and down on his bass drum. I said to myself, "Oh no... he didn't just do that!" LOL

Although quality heads will usually hold you, I don't think it's a wise practice.
    I wouldn't really say I'm fat but I think Simon Phillips weighs about as much as one of my legs.

Little guys can probably get away with standing on drum heads. I would never even think of doing that. I cringe when I seat drum heads with my open palms.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yea ive only seen people do it with their hands but I get nervous doing that too. Maybe because Im just a rookie though. I'll sit my doberman on my new heads when I buy them, I would fall straight though.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Cool Re: WOW! it realli holds me!

Sounds like the old Crazy Glue commercial where the construction worker is held to a steel I-beam by his helmet, which is Crazy-Glued to the beam...

I got news for you, man...I don't think there's a snare drum head made that would hold up nearly 250 pounds (my weight) without not only breaking the head, but also tearin' up the bearing edge!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    o_O
    same here, friend. same here.

User Info Menu

haha i just tried on my old snare and it worked

User Info Menu

Wow.
    I can honestly say i do not want to try that.

lol
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

ooh no
    im going to teach my kids not to do it.
    when i first read the post i thought you had inverted yourself and were standing on your head on the snare head.

User Info Menu

LOL

well i can say the remo emperor snare head could hold 75 kg :D, only did it too crack the glue.... soo lazy, yet soo Australian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    That line sounds like that joke:

"What are redneck's last words?"

"Hey, fellers, watch this!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

So wait, I'm not supposed to be using my bass drum as a trampoline so I can dunk on my neighbor's b-ball hoop?

Crap...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I think that maybe if I have a spare head laying aroung then I might try it but i think that if i stood on my drum and broke the head my parents probably wouldn't buy me a new one.

User Info Menu

only try the snare head :D

User Info Menu

hey...new idea...if someone could break dance, in the middle of a solo, if your snare is mounted level, you could do a headspin!...hehehehe...oooo yeah....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I tune my bigger toms quite loose, so I have done this for many years to seat the heads, it does work and takes alot of the repeated extra tweaking out of a new head.