Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many cymbals, so little... money!!!

User Info Menu

Question So many cymbals, so little... money!!!

Hey, guys.
    I haven't been here in a while, started at University and been extremely busy! Really sad, cause I love it here and all the info I always get here! So I have a big choice to make, and thought this is probably the best place to get some opinions and great advice!

There's a bit of cash coming my way and I'm going to use it for new cymbals. I have some bottom range Wuhan cymbals and it's irritating me beyond measure!

I can either buy a set of Zildjian ZXT cymbals (hi-hat, crash and ride) and save some more cash to expand it with an 18" crash and a china (also ZXT). Then I have more cymbals and pretty good cymbals. But I think this is more of an entry level cymbal. And I want to buy something that I'd enjoy for a few years.

Or I can buy a crash and hi-hat of better quality and save money to buy a new ride at a later stage. Here I was thinking of Zildjian or Sabian AAX. I don't have a shop nearby that I can go and test the cymbals, so I would love to hear some comments on Sabian and Zildjian and what ranges are good.

Here's some extra info, if it helps:
    I have a Pearl Vision 5 piece kit (absolutely love it! ).
    I mostly play rock music. But still would like a versitile cymbal that suits a few genres of music.

Any help would be awesome!
    And if you need more info, please ask!
    Thanx!!
    In truth, Rock music is the most pure and honest art form ever born.

Realx... I'm a drummer...
    Girl Drummers are Amazing!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: So many cymbals, so little... money!!!

The ZHT and ZBT Zildjians arent their best quality cymbals. Sounds like youre already using something along the same lines now.

I would upgrade to Zildjians A custom style cymbals , if $$ is a little tight then try e-bay or buying them used from a local store to get the higher quality cymbals at a good price .

Shazane Guest

ZBTs and ZHT/ZXT may be entry level cymbals, but there's really nothing wrong with them, they're incredibly durable and don't sound bad at all, definitely much better than low end Wuhan cymbals, ZIldjian still puts alot of work into them, they just use a cheaper alloy with less copper and no silver. Since you're worried about price I assume you aren't planning to buy high end cymbals right away as an entire setup can go over $2000, while an entire ZBT setup can be less than a single A Custom cymbal.

But the cheap Wuhan chinas don't sound bad; if you have one of those, I would get the ZXT crash, hihat and ride and keep the wuhan china, then worry about upgrading to high end cymbals while having something decent to work with.
    Last edited by Shazane; 06-25-2008 at 12:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Buy the best cymbals you can for the money you have to spend. If you can only afford new high hats now then buy the top of the line hats and buy your ride and crash when you can afford them. Cymbals last for ever if taken care of, and no matter what you do you cannot make a bad cymbal sound good. You already have entry level cymbals so why replace them with more entry level cymbals or cymbals just a step above where you are now. If you can afford to upgrade to pro level even for just a pair of hats or a ride them upgrade to pro for what ever cymbals you can.

User Info Menu

Yeah im with gone fishin...I have a 16 in. crash, 20in. ride a china and a pair of hi hats that are all zbt..i also have a 10 in zxt splash cymbol and an A custom 17in crash, the zbts sound good but are nothing compared to my a custom

User Info Menu

Wow, thanx. Didn't expect replies so fast. I have between $500 and $600 to work with. I think I'll probably end up buying the more expensive cymbals, even though it will take me longer to get all the cymbals I want.
    What new cymbals would you buy with $600. I want to replace the hi-hats and crash first...

User Info Menu

Sofar sounds like Zildjian A customs are the way to go?

User Info Menu

I'd have to agree DG*

I know Zildjian has an A series cymbal pack with 20" ride 14" hats a 16" crash and bonus FREE 14" fast crash and cymbal bag for 659.99 will do more than the trick.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Shazane does bring up a good point , there are tons of people who do like the sound from the ZHT cymbals........its what sounds good to your ear that counts .

BTD comments are good too ........good cymbals will last just about for-ever and you can buy a new set and take your cymbals with you .

If you like the Zildgian line , go to their web-site and listen to their sound clips to see which ones catch your ear , then go find them at your local store to see and listen to them in person .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerGirl* View Post
    Hey, guys.
    I haven't been here in a while, started at University and been extremely busy! Really sad, cause I love it here and all the info I always get here! So I have a big choice to make, and thought this is probably the best place to get some opinions and great advice!

There's a bit of cash coming my way and I'm going to use it for new cymbals. I have some bottom range Wuhan cymbals and it's irritating me beyond measure!

I can either buy a set of Zildjian ZXT cymbals (hi-hat, crash and ride) and save some more cash to expand it with an 18" crash and a china (also ZXT). Then I have more cymbals and pretty good cymbals. But I think this is more of an entry level cymbal. And I want to buy something that I'd enjoy for a few years.

Or I can buy a crash and hi-hat of better quality and save money to buy a new ride at a later stage. Here I was thinking of Zildjian or Sabian AAX. I don't have a shop nearby that I can go and test the cymbals, so I would love to hear some comments on Sabian and Zildjian and what ranges are good.

I mostly play rock music. But still would like a versitile cymbal that suits a few genres of music.

Thanx!!
    I would get better cymbals and get the ride later. otherwise you will want to upgrade later and it will be more expsenize.

User Info Menu

yeah i would go with the A custom, i have and A custom 17 in. crash and love it, u might wanna get one of those. but even better i would go with the A series cymbal pack with 20" ride 14" hats a 16" crash and bonus FREE 14" fast crash and cymbal bag for 659.99 that Bish was talking about

User Info Menu

since u said u have 500-600 to work with, if u plan on getting more money to spend on ur drum soon u might want to wait til u get the money to get that 659.99 dollar pack, but if not then i would just go with a crash and the ride

User Info Menu

zildjian A customs, K customs, k and a series
    Sabian AAX, AA, HH, HHX, Paragon-all great choices

User Info Menu

Thank you, to everyone. You've been a big help so far! Haven't decided 100% yet, going to wait till I can go to a decent store to see what they have. I think I'll go for the A customs and see which ones I can afford at the moment. I'm not sure if I can get the A series pack here in South Africa, but if I can, I'll definitely give it some serious thought. Can't wait to get some new cymbals though! Yeah!!!

User Info Menu

I would recommend Sabian. Any of the ones people have already mentioned, I have a Pearl Export 6 peice, and I think Sabian and Pearl sound tight together, and I like the quality of the cymbals for the price. Just my opinion though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    I would recommend Sabian. Any of the ones people have already mentioned, I have a Pearl Export 6 peice, and I think Sabian and Pearl sound tight together, and I like the quality of the cymbals for the price. Just my opinion though.

That's a good opinion, in my opinion.

I have a set of Pearl Masters that I paired the Sabian AA's and AAX crashes and it's a very "smooth to the ear" combination.

and as for DG being in South Africa......sorry, I didn't realize.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

46second, I was thinking of actually getting Sabians from the start, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Think I'll just have to find a place to see what sound I like better.

User Info Menu

Bish, it's fine, we do get a lot of cymbal packs here, just not sure if we have that particular one. But will check. But also going to listen to the Sabians. They also look like great sounding cymbals.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: So many cymbals, so little... money!!!

Go To Cymbalholic.com Or Each Cymabal Website Hearem For Yourself....But Nothin Like Playin Em Live To Hear And Feel Da Response...Sabian And Zildjian Both Have Good Cymbal Packs....remember"Beauty Is In The Ears Of Da Beholder" We Can Only Offer Opinions And Advice,,,the Choices Are Yours....GOOD LUCK LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I got the ZHT cymbal pack to go with my new kit last year. I had heard and played the same cymbals on another kit and liked what I heard. I have since added a Zildjian Custom K ride and a Custom K 17" dark crash because I wanted to add more color so to speak to my cymbal palate. I found that the ZHT ride if played too hard would wash out, whereas the Custom K ride has better stick articulation and doesn't wash out. I still like the ZHT crash. It just depends on what kind of a sound I want. I would add, if you are playing in a group with a particular musical genre, that might determine what cymbal sound you want. Jazz vs. metal, etc. However, if you are only playing for yourself, in the end, it's the sound you like that matters most. So if trash can lids sound great to you then go for it and don't worry if they are the right one because if you like them then they are the right ones.
    Last edited by old stix; 06-25-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: incomplete thought

User Info Menu

Hey, guys.

Thanx!!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMERGIRL *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CATRESS) I use ZILJIAN A CUSTOMS & PAISTE 2002's
    AND ISTANBULS,SUTANS & AGOP *TRX, & BOSPHORUS /AND DREAM HAND HAMMERED From CHINA *ALL these HOT CYMBAL MASTERS of THE VERY FINE ANCIENT ART OF CREATING & MAKEING CYMBALS ALL MAKE EXTREMMMMMXXX ROJO -CALIENTE' (RED-HOT CYMBALS **ITS REALLY all within your OWN CREATIVE ARTISTIC UNIQUE ARTISTRY that Only you Will Within PERFORMING(PLAYING ) each Cymbal ,of which then You CAN decide
    What really works for your OWN UNIQUE CREATIVE STYLE (ARTISTY )
    So just take your time & Gain alot of knowledge from all CYMBAL COMPANYS **MASTERS of THE ANCIENT ART form Of CREATING MASTER piece's **What ever works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is ALL GREAT within their own unique ARTISTRY THEIR JOURNEYS
    within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Hey Drum Girl!

I would suggest spending your hard-earned cash on a Hi-Hat and a Good Crash or 2 if you get a good deal. Why i suggest this is because you're gonna be using your HH alot in rock and also your crash, so you wanna have good ones that are gonna hold up and give you that gorgeous sound. You could go with Zildjian A custom, Zildjian Avedis, Sabian AAX.The better your drums sound, the more you'll wanna play...and thats why we all are in this game...its fun!!!

good luck...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    Hey Drum Girl!

I would suggest spending your hard-earned cash on a Hi-Hat and a Good Crash or 2 if you get a good deal. Why i suggest this is because you're gonna be using your HH alot in rock and also your crash, so you wanna have good ones that are gonna hold up and give you that gorgeous sound. You could go with Zildjian A custom, Zildjian Avedis, Sabian AAX.The better your drums sound, the more you'll wanna play...and thats why we all are in this game...its fun!!!

good luck...
    I went to a music store in a city near me today. I got some prices from them and they also have a cymbal pack, Zildjian A Customs, with a Hi-Hat, Crash and Ride. It costs about $850. I'm seriously considering that. It's more than I would have liked to pay, but I'm thinking if I can get some extra cash, it soud's like a good plan. Going to see if I can get a better deal on that, but I think that could work.
    And you're right, the better the sound, the more I want to play. It's soooo addictive!

User Info Menu

well good luck drummer girl! i hope u can get a good price on it! rock on!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I went to a music store in a city near me today. I got some prices from them and they also have a cymbal pack, Zildjian A Customs, with a Hi-Hat, Crash and Ride. It costs about $850. I'm seriously considering that. It's more than I would have liked to pay, but I'm thinking if I can get some extra cash, it soud's like a good plan. Going to see if I can get a better deal on that, but I think that could work.
    And you're right, the better the sound, the more I want to play. It's soooo addictive!
    Awesome! Best of Luck....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes