Thread: Your input is requested!

User Info Menu

Default Your input is requested!

Exposition: I currently have a 2001 Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit in Vintage Natural, 10x9, 12x10, 14x12, and 22x18. I have no complaints about the quality of the workmanship. When I purchased this kit, I scaled down from (left to right) a 14x12, 10x9, 12x10, 16x14, with a 22x16 bass. That kit was scaled up from my first kit, which was a generic fly-by-night operation that was 12x9, 13x11, and a 16x16 floor tom with a 22x14 bass.

In recent months, I have scaled the MCAs down to a four piece- 12x9,
    14x12, 22x18, plus snare- and for all intents and purposes, I both love the look of the smaller kit and how it has forced me to focus more on what I'm doing, rather than trying to keep track of everything when it does move. Some things are traditional for a reason, so I've settled that the new kit will be 22x18 (virgin), 13x9, and a 16x16 floor tom.

I live in Massachusetts, so local company Noble & Cooley has my eye. They've given me a rough estimate of $2,500 for the three drums, which is fine- Ayotte wanted $4,000 minimum, so $2,500 seems like a steal (I figure the sale of the MCAs will cover a little more than half of the cost, so $1,000 seems all the more reasonable).

- Does anyone have experience with N & C? I worked at the only Massachusetts dealer, and have been invited for a factory tour, but we didn't sell that many N&C kits- the boss was about pushing Stage Customs.

- I am also considering full tube lugs, identical to these:

My reasons are cosmetic. What are the pros and cons?
    Last edited by drummer; 07-02-2008 at 09:06 AM.