Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a drum circle...

User Info Menu

Cool Starting a drum circle...

Once again, a comment from a brother DrumChatter spawns a new thread!

PHROGGE: My Grandkids Are All Interested In Da Drums But They Are Not Allowed On Da Computer...not Overstaing But They All 6,7.11.14.14,and 15 Play Rather Well

and...

I Need To Start My Personal Phamily Drumcircle

Have any of you started, or are otherwise involved, in a drum circle? Tell us what you've learned...there are as many drum circles, maybe, as there are DrumChatters...what worked for you? What didn't?

I think we all need to start a drum circle!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starting a drum circle...

Sup BB. Dont matter what you start up, or how you do it bro. The circle
    will grow. The drum circle is where I got hooked man. Somethin got into
    my soul and never let go some 20 years ago. Whats the
    old saying?...."Build it and they will come" I've been thinking of starting up
    something local. Trouble is,... the same old trouble round the city. Where
    can we jam in public without having the police shut us down. Best of luck brother.
    Jack
    Register Today its easy!
    http://www.drumchat.com/register.php

User Info Menu

theres a local circle at a venue called mojos that most local bands play at, they have a ton of hand drums that always used to sit there, but one night the drummer for a band called fire under watter and myself grabbed them and stared jamming, we got every drummer in the house into it, one bassist plugged in and joined on his bass, and now in honor of it every Tuesday night we have a circle with a bass and a guitar, and all sorts of random people come in and play, its a blast, last one lasted till 5 am.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

What exactly is a drum circle?
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    theres a local circle at a venue called mojos that most local bands play at, they have a ton of hand drums that always used to sit there, but one night the drummer for a band called fire under watter and myself grabbed them and stared jamming, we got every drummer in the house into it, one bassist plugged in and joined on his bass, and now in honor of it every Tuesday night we have a circle with a bass and a guitar, and all sorts of random people come in and play, its a blast, last one lasted till 5 am.
    sounds really cool Davie...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

As much fun as that sounds my problem would be committing to a specific date . Im always running here and there with the kids and dont always have free time .

Lamb.........a drum circle is when drummers get together to do nothing but sit around and play together , usually no other instruments except drums and percussion .

User Info Menu

Drum circles are as different as the people who attend them! I have been on-again, off-again involved in our local drum circle. My local drum circle falls under the category of "anarchic" - there is no leader, no facilitator, and any kind of percussion is allowed. I have also heard it refered to as "full-on hippie drum circle". The best way I can describe it is barely contained chaos. What normally happens is people are sitting around in the circle tapping, talking, kinda sounding like popcorn, then a groove will start to emerge and everyone hops on. It's texture often morphs and changes as people drop out/in or alter their rhythmn. If dancers are around, they tend to jump in and do their thing. Then after a period of time, it just kind of falls apart and we circle back to tapping, talking, etc.

This is in contrast to facillitated drum circles where you have a leader that guides the group or the Culturally Specfic drum circle which focuses on a specific culture (ie American Indian Drumming, African Drumming, etc.) Since I have never really had much experience in those styles I can't really comment.

The things I like about the anarchic drum circle are the same things that bug me! The music is very organic and different each time. This means it is easy to improvise and get lost in the beat, but it also means that you can not reproduce it at a later date. Nor can you polish or perfect a piece. It can be a great tool for listening and finding the conversation between the drums though.

Usually the best place to do a drum circle is in a public park. People expect a certian level of noise there and as long as it is not past resonable hours it is not normally a problem. Especially if it is a park where musicans perform occasionally.

Some of the different ways I have seen people advertise for their groups are to put up flyers in music stores, create www.tribe.net groups, post meetup.com requests, put things in craigslist, put it in the community events section of the paper, etc. What tends to be the best though is simple word of mouth - if you get started with a small group in a big public park and you are pretty regular, it doesn't take long for the group to grow.

Summer is usually the best time for drum circles. Most people want to do it outside when the weather is nice. In the winter, our drum circle drops back from every wednesday evening to twice a month at some inside location.

No matter how you slice it though, drum circles are a blast if you approach them with the right mindset. There is nothing more fun to be grooving with 20 other drumers while 3 or 4 belly dancers do their thing in the middle, some ageing hippies doing the funky chicken dance off to the side, while the general public stops to watch and listen as they are out at the park.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

I've played my bongos in a couple drum circles. Had a really positive experience. The people were good listeners, as well as players. Everyone got a chance to "solo" or express themselves. This one I was at had a Digeradoo. What a great time!

User Info Menu

hey bongo bro, do all of ur grandkids have a set? or what type of percussion instruments they interested in? and good luck with the drum circle
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

we have an unofficial percussion thing at my jams after the "players" have called it a night........this is for those people with absolutly no musical talent....sometimes accompanied with some "doo wah" singing.......moroccas, hand drums, bongos, rattles, tamborines, wooden block...this last one included my drum kit to a small degree and the chimes I made........it is a great stress reliever, and does not require any talent whatsoever, and surprisingly from a distance sounds awesome, and even the shy ones relax and participate......the best thing is you can use anything handy...cardboard box, hunk of metal, plastic pail........it's surprising how someone with absolutly no rythem will find the groove in short order....(dang where's spell check)....it starts out with people being a little self conscious into a serious effort to keep the beat....and to wanting to do a sort of leading role...highly recommended.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Starting a drum circle...

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    hey bongo bro, do all of ur grandkids have a set? or what type of percussion instruments they interested in? and good luck with the drum circle
    Don't have grandkids yet...(none that I know of anyway!) ... PHROGGE is the one with grandkids...

Seriously, PHROGGE has said some of his grandchildren have expressed interest in music and drumming. In my case, my daughters played clarinet and sax (older) and trumpet (younger) in their grade school band; the younger daughter has tried playin' six-string guitar.

But for now, I'm the only drummer at the 'bro's house...

BTW, HITL, a drum circle can have as few or as many members as you wish. There is a drum circle in St. Louis I want to hang out with soon, but, like GF, my work schedule makes it rough to join them...I'm getting some ideas about starting one in Granite City...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

my bad bongo bro! i read it wrong! lol sorry
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

There is a drum circle that is on the waterfront in downtown Portland every weekend that it is not raining from sun up to sun down. It has been going for as long as I can remember (at least 20+ years). Most of the time there is usually about 6-8 people, but I have seen it as large as 50+. I make it a point to go down and play on every Saturday that I am not busy. Anyone is allowed to play and they can play whatever they want. There are a few of us guys that have been playing there for many years and we always encourage people to join in.

If you start a circle and do it at regular intervals, people will eventually get the idea that it is there to stay and will start showing up on a regular basis and bring new people with them from time to time.

Like I always say, "it only takes one drum to start a circle" and when other drummers hear it, they're gonna want to join!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

so explain to me how a drum circle exactly works...

User Info Menu

See gonefishin's answer for the basic definition, justinmill14...

but a drum circle starts with one or two drummers...basically, one drummer starts a beat, and the next plays off what he or she is doing...for example, using the names of a few hand-drummin' DrumChatters for demonstration purposes...

bongobro starts a basic beat on his conga...
    1DrumBum picks up the beat on his djembe...
    Jack starts peppering that beat with his bongos...
    midgard takes up bongobro's beat as b-bro drops back for a bit, and he (midgard) adds a few twists to it...
    you then come in with another conga and play off that...
    Jack switches to a djembe while 1DrumBum adds the sound of a cajon...
    and so on, and so on, and so on...the idea is it's structured, but it's also flexible...it's organic, as midgard suggests...what the drum circle does on Saturday evening may not be exactly what the drum circle does on Sunday afternoon...you might have a few shy ones who add a few riffs on maracas, claves, etc. one time and a killer conga dude who takes off and runs with it the next...

It's like trying to define what makes a good pot of chili or a good chocolate cake, but that's the fun part and, as midgard says, that's the frustrating part!

Fortunately it's more fun than frustration!

Charlie

User Info Menu

that sounds like fun, i wish there was a drum circle around here

User Info Menu

start one JUSTIN...
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i dont know enough drummers and i dont know where i would have it at

User Info Menu

thought I'd try and revive this thread because if you haven't tried it you are really missing out on some fun....and as mentioned before, you don't need "real" drums.......doesn't anyone remember as a kid taking the wooden spoon and wacking it on the end of the potatoe pot or garbage can lid.......with a little imagination....and little cost you can get a drum circle going.........get your best friend, then their other friend, then your brother, and maybe your buddies sister.........maybe at the family picnic......then visit the local music store and I think you'll be suprised at the low cost of some percussion stuff
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

sad thing is though, i dont have many friends that can play a beat at all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    thought I'd try and revive this thread because if you haven't tried it you are really missing out on some fun....and as mentioned before, you don't need "real" drums.......doesn't anyone remember as a kid taking the wooden spoon and wacking it on the end of the potatoe pot or garbage can lid.......with a little imagination....and little cost you can get a drum circle going.........get your best friend, then their other friend, then your brother, and maybe your buddies sister.........maybe at the family picnic......then visit the local music store and I think you'll be suprised at the low cost of some percussion stuff
    cheers
    Gerry
    I used to play Quaker Oats tubes (drums) myself!

Justinmill, you don't have to have top-of-the-line stuff to start the circle. Don't know if you have access to craigslist, but google that or even google "drum circles in (your area)" and you'll be amazed at what you'll find. Or start asking around as Riff Wrath suggests...THEY (your friends) may not be able to keep the beat (yet), but you gotta start somewhere!

Good luck!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I tried to start a drum circle but I could only muster 3 other players so we ended up with a drum square, then one left early and it turned into a triangle!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I tried to start a drum circle but I could only muster 3 other players so we ended up with a drum square, then one left early and it turned into a triangle!!
    thats funny,

and Bongo bro, thanks and i will serach it and see what i can find

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post

Good thing you didn't end up with two drummers...it would then have become a drum line, but not the kind we discuss in DrumChat! (whew, that was close!)

Let us know how it goes, justinmill! Great news--and thanks!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    so explain to me how a drum circle exactly works...
    first you stop showering. then you grow some dreadlocks and buy some grateful dead shirts and birkenstock shoes. finally you find a few othe like-minded smelly hippies and start banging on stuff.

thats how we do it.