Thread: Double pedal

User Info Menu

Default Double pedal

I have been reading alot and I noticed that alot of drummers first upgrade to their kit is the addition of a double bass pedal. Is this pretty much mandatory for modern drummers now? I know im planning some different upgrades before I even think about getting into double bass. Just thought Id get some opinions on the subject.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double pedal

I don't think that is true. But so many drummers listen to music (metal) that is played with allot of double bass and they want to play what they hear. I don't play music like that and could easily do without it. I do use them for big endings and messing around. I think it is fun to sit in the pocket and just play groove through out the song and then if the song warrants it play a big ending and blow off a bit. It surprises some that I do have some chops, but I choose not to reveal them very often.

User Info Menu

BTD, I don't have any chops, so i don't reveal them at all!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ive been playing for about 30 years and dont have a double pedal.........yet.

Like BTD , I dont have a need for one but I do think it would be fun sometimes to have one , and was checking them out .

I like the VEX double pedal that 2slow got for himself ,supposed to be alot of pedal for under 100 bucks .

User Info Menu

I got my double bass pedal about a year and a half after i started playing, its a dw 4000, but if ur goona get one, i reccomend the DW 9000! all the way
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I started playing a single pedal and fell into the " i gotta have it " with a double pedal. As everyone has said, it's fun to fiddle with but I've have gone back to a single pedal. It did help in developing odd patterns between my hi-hat and bass while I'm playing the ride cymbal. Focus on upgrading your cymbals, hardware or your drumheads first and if your going to buy one make sure you play it good first. Remember, a high prize tag doesn't alway mean it's the best!! What works for one drummer may not work for you.

User Info Menu

if you play metal a dbl. pedal is mandatory. i have a PDP dbl. pedal, it is a peice of crap.

User Info Menu

Get the BMW before you buy 20 inch wheels for your Tercel.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I had been drumming on a kit for over two years before getting my first double pedal.

User Info Menu

It all depends on what type of music you like to play and whether you want to do anything more than double-stroke hits or maybe triplets on the bass drum.
    What kind of music do you play/want to play?

User Info Menu

yeah if u play medal than its a def. if u play rock then i would prolly say get it, but it all depends..
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

It's not that necessary....
    I got DP...and I rarely use it...

True....If you play Rock ++(Metalcore,Heavy Metal etc)
    It's essential...
    Otherwise...You can spent your money for other things....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I only got a double peddle beacuse of what people wanted me to play. I would have rathered more toms and or more cymbals.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

my band is playing Rock music and i'm using the double pedal very rare but when i'm jamming alone i really enjoy it
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

You should check out a pedal called "The Dualist". Rather than tell you how it works you can see a demo on their site. It costs a ton but it is cool! I have an Iron Cobra double pedal that I use mostly for fills, solos and such. I don't think I'd enjoy playing a song with a constant double bass beat in it....way to physically demanding....but very cool when it is done well (Jason Bittner, Chris Adler, etc.).

Shazane Guest

It's not just for metal and rock, contrary to popular belief, it originated in jazz, a double bass pedal can be used in any style of music. If you don't use the hihat pedal alot and have a single pedal I think you're just wasting a limb. Even if you use the hihat pedal its typically not for the kind of rhythms that you'd play double bass on, and you can use a drop clutch to make up for alot of it. I really don't see any advantage to not using a double pedal.

User Info Menu

I use a Tama Iorn Cobra Jr.
    I like it, its fun to throw in there every one in a while. Its nice, I got it used for cheap, and its still nicer than all other pedals I've tried. It might just be me though. I would suggest getting one of those, but not unless you really really want it.

User Info Menu

I think im gonna get some more cymbals and what not first and then maybe think about getting one. I dont forsee myself needing one anytime soon, I was just curious to see what everyones opinions were on it. Thanks guys.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    Get the BMW before you buy 20 inch wheels for your Tercel.
    I would consider that statement right there for a signiture line.

User Info Menu

Up untill recently, I never thought about needing or even wantin g a double pedal. I'm not sure that I will ever get one but if I did, it would be only for the purpose of moving my playing into a different phase for my own personal edification. I doubt that I would use it with the big band but it would be fun to explore other facets of drumming by having one. Does that make any sense?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Up until recently, I never thought about needing or even wanting g a double pedal. I'm not sure that I will ever get one but if I did, it would be only for the purpose of moving my playing into a different phase for my own personal edification. I doubt that I would use it with the big band but it would be fun to explore other facets of drumming by having one. Does that make any sense?
    It makes sense Frank, that is really the only reason I have one was to develop limb Independence. Like I said earlier it is fun for endings and stuff, but as far as playing music that requires I use it through out the song; I probably never will!

User Info Menu

i bought a double bass pedal and never used it. Part of it was that I wasn't totally solid on the bass at the time and the other thing was i don't need it for the jazz i play and even in the rock I play I only need one pedal. I know guys that can make much tastier bass beats with one pedal than two. So my advice is to buy one when you absolutely know that you need one. I just sold mine.

User Info Menu

i think you need to ask yourself 2 things... 1)''can you do everything you wanted on a single pedal''?

and 2)"do you really need a double pedal"?

Ive always thought about a double pedal but always choose not too 'cos i cant do what i want with 1 yet.. you dig!
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads