Thread: Fill help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Fill help

hey guys
    so recently in my playing i havent been able to think of any good fills. i always use the same ones or i just use the snare only. i feel like i have no creativity when it comes to toms. im sick of all the annoying beginner ones that are just high to low. i feel like i cant put them into a groove together very well. help?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fill help

Think of the fills you are playing now, simple as they may be, and mix up the combinations of drums/ cymbals. For example, the simple 16th note tom run:

Sn Sn, Hi tom hi tom, mid tom mid tom, flr tom flr tom, crash

can be switched up to be:

sn sn hi tom open hat, hi tom hi tom snare crash, kick kick hat hat, snare snare snare crash crash.

It is the same simple 16th note fill. but now it sounds complicated.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Think of the fills you are playing now, simple as they may be, and mix up the combinations of drums/ cymbals. For example, the simple 16th note tom run:

Sn Sn, Hi tom hi tom, mid tom mid tom, flr tom flr tom, crash

can be switched up to be:

sn sn hi tom open hat, hi tom hi tom snare crash, kick kick hat hat, snare snare snare crash crash.

It is the same simple 16th note fill. but now it sounds complicated.
    thats pretty cool, it looks like it would be a pretty good filll, im gonna go try it out
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

You can also mix your bass drum in to the mix as well and make interesting fills as well.

User Info Menu

thats actually a really cool idea man. thank you so much

User Info Menu

well im sure u have a book lying around with snare and snare+bass combinations. Just move from off the snare to around the tom, cymbals back to snare. The combinations are endless. Just pick a few practise them in time with a metronome, then use them in rhythms and beats etc.
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

Triplets on the snare. Start each triplet on the rack tom though. So your right hand and then left hand and then right hand and then left hand is playing the toms whilst the rest of your fill is on the snare. It's cool! It's like the fill intro to Pure And Easy by The Who on the remastered version of Who's Next...but that has a different sticking pattern and some extra notes.

R--L--R--R--- |Tom
    -LR-RL-LRL-L(RLRLR) <- 32nds |Snare
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Work on your rudiments, mate. If you do that properly you will never be short of fills.

User Info Menu

Yeah...i would suggest triplets involving the bass and two separate phrases with your hands...

(k t s) (k s 0)

k=kick
    t-tom (floor toms are better)
    s=snare
    0=open hh

If you play these fast in a TRIPLET feel you can create monster fills. Wanna go a step farther? Put these triplet feels into a straight 16th or 8th note segment...really nice.....

I also like playing what i call doubles....its like a 'mama dada mama dada' feel...

Play the mama's with a snare or tom (RL) then play the dada's with your bass drum. this works well with single or double bass players.

If you're playing double bass, the second double would be played on your bass drum. try alternating your foot patterns along with your hand patterns....enjoy....the bold sections are meant for your bass drum...if you dont have double bass, play them all with one foot!!

Ok..here we go...

RL RL LR LR RL LR LR RL

Its simple but its something different than high to low I guess...hope it helps...I'm sure if everyone was honest, we all go through the stages where we get "bored" of our playing...Good Luck!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post

I also like playing what i call doubles....its like a 'mama dada mama dada' feel...

Its simple but its something different than high to low I guess...hope it helps...I'm sure if everyone was honest, we all go through the stages where we get "bored" of our playing...Good Luck!
    LOL @ that mamadada -

some good points their m8! thanks 4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    LOL @ that mamadada -

some good points their m8! thanks 4.
    lol...whatever gets the point across on paper...lol...i teach alot of 7-10 year old kids. They got the attention span of a Chiuaua...it helps them remember....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

You guys are making me dizzy! I like Ethyl's fill. Pretty cool. I am just getting around to learning fills. I use the hi Tom followed by snare, bass drum, crash

T,S,S,BD,C(w/BD)

Also snare,Bass drum,crash

S,BD,BD,S,BD,S,S,BD,BD,C

User Info Menu

What you do with a fill all depends on the song. Quick flurries can be done on the snare, or on the ride toms with a crash. Longer fills can include any pattern of drums and cymbals, and any patterns of sticking. Just know where you are in the beat, and put together combinations that end where you want it. Then, bingo, you're back in the groove! Just play with it, and have fun!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    What you do with a fill all depends on the song. Quick flurries can be done on the snare, or on the ride toms with a crash. Longer fills can include any pattern of drums and cymbals, and any patterns of sticking. Just know where you are in the beat, and put together combinations that end where you want it. Then, bingo, you're back in the groove! Just play with it, and have fun!

That is it!

User Info Menu

Exactly the same thing you do on the bass, right BLD?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Exactly the same thing you do on the bass, right BLD?
    Yes! It's all about the mood, too.

User Info Menu

What about: S-S-HT-FT-FT-B/C
    S=snare
    HT=High Tom
    FT=Floor Tom
    B/C=Bass and Crash
    HH=Hi hat

Even: S-S-HT-FL-FL-HH(open)

And lastly: S-S-HT-HT-S-HH(open)
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Just close your eyes and hit stuff =D That'll probably end up being totally random and something you've never heard before.

User Info Menu

those last two are pretty cool, i have a good one that i use a lot but its hard to write it out because its not just like a straight throug fill, its kinda got a lil groove to it...
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

yeah, and most of the fills i just make up when i am just jammin around, the past couple of days i have just been playing random beats and addin in some unusual fills to see how it sounds, ive came up with some pretty good ones, and some that sound like crud! lol

User Info Menu

This is simple but i like it.

flam-a-didle sn sn sn sn
    Rl r l l r r r r