Thread: Anyone own Noble & Cooley or Mapleworks?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone own Noble & Cooley or Mapleworks?

I'm in the market for a three piece maple kit (13x9, 16x16 floor, 22x18 bass) and am interested in tube lugs. Noble & Cooley, who are not far from me, have captured my interest. Mapleworks is a distant second for me. I've heard Noble & Cooley had some finishing issues not too long ago- can anyone offer specifics?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone own Noble & Cooley or Mapleworks?

I haven't heard much about them but what I have heard has all been positive.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've heard that the finishing issues were mainly with the bass drums on there old series from the 80's that I believe had the word "star" in the title. Only thing I don't like about them is that they use "rims" mounts.

I've got two Noble and Cooley limited edition 150th anniversary snare drums that are amazing. I've heard good things about there CD Maples kits.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...sary-4099.html
    Last edited by koopa; 06-29-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Never owned a Noble & Cooley but I would dearly love to have one of their steam bent maple snares...one of the most beautiful I've ever heard in live performances. I just don't want to cough up $800 or so.

User Info Menu

I have one of the early model snare drums ( steam bent 1 pc shell) and its very nice. I have not had the opportunity to play their kicks or toms.

Bill
    Last edited by bldrums; 07-01-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: musspell ward

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    I'm in the market for a three piece maple kit (13x9, 16x16 floor, 22x18 bass) and am interested in tube lugs. Noble & Cooley, who are not far from me, have captured my interest. Mapleworks is a distant second for me. I've heard Noble & Cooley had some finishing issues not too long ago- can anyone offer specifics?
    Hello,

I own 1 out of 12 steam bent kits that N & C ever made. Not the star series.. I also own a Mapleworks kit. I am also an endorser for N & C (demetrios kakavas artists page).

I never heard of finishing issues w/ N & C. Their drums are amazing!
    The question.. What application are you planning to use the drums for? Jazz, Rock, Country..

I have the following Maplework configuration:

Satin maple finish (no wrap) increased the resonance of the drums.
    This is my rock kit. 18x22, 6x8, 7x10, 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 and 16x16 with a matching (high gloss) tube snare 6 1/2 x 14. Keller shells 6 ply on all toms,10 ply on kick and 8 ply on snare. At the time, I was able to custom order the number of plies I wanted and shell depth. The drums sound great but would never use them for Jazz gigs.

The N & C is a multi purpose kit even with a 16 x 20 kick. It's the punchiest 20" kick I have ever heard. I commissioned Jay Jones (N&C) recently to build a 14 x 16 floor tom. He had me send a 8 x 10 tom from my existing N & C set and matched the finish dead on. It is one of the best sounding floor tomsI have ever hear! Other than my early 70's 16x18 ludwig 3 ply floor.

Both sets are amazing!! N & C is a bit more expensive but their attention to detain and craftsmanship is excellent! John Davis who owned MW sold the company. Their were shell issue w/ MW but I think this has been resolved.

I hope this helpd and feel free to contact me at any time!

Best of luck!

Demetrios

Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/demetrios_kakavas

User Info Menu

I just purchased a new Noble and Cooley Horizon series kit in black cherry burst gloss lacquer. Absolutely gorgeous drums, beautiful finish and they sound incredible . I cannot say enough good things about this kit.