Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticks Stick Sticks!

User Info Menu

Default Sticks Stick Sticks!

hey everyone, i was wonderin what ur favorite brand and type of sticks u like, and what size u use.
    let me know
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticks Stick Sticks!

I currently am using Vater XD 5A. I also love the Pro-mark 5A and the Vic-firth 5A. 7A is way to light and thin. I've never owned a 5B. The 2B is fun to play with, espessially if your playing a Pantera song, but its kind of heavy though.

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth JoJo Mayer model for normal playing and Vic Firth AJ2 model for lighter playing.

User Info Menu

yeah i use 5A too, usually promark but sometimes vicfirth, im wit u deathmedaldrummer, 7A is way to small!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Pro Mark 5A nylon tip, natural finish.
    It's amazing how much difference there is between 5A and 5B. I'm so used to 5As that if I pick up one of the 5Bs I used to use in another band, it feels completely different, way to much heft & weight to it...
    It's all personal preference anyway!
    Last edited by peach_tx; 06-27-2008 at 09:06 PM.

User Info Menu

i used to use nylon tips but i dont have good history with them! almost every pair ive owned i would be in the middle of playing something on the ride or somethin and the tip would shoot off! lol ive done that to atleast 6 or 7 stix lol

User Info Menu

Pro Mark is an Oak stick and the others are generally Hickory. Beyond that, pick out a couple of pairs at your music store and try them out on a pad. Get a feel for what you like in terms of size, weight and feel. Don't concern yourself with brand names or sizes. You should be able to find a couple of different pairs to play with. 5A is an all purpose stick and 7A is okay if you play light jazz.

User Info Menu

I like to use Vic Firth American Classic 5B wooden tip sticks.

User Info Menu

i havent played that much with 5B, im not to sure wat type of fill they give

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peach_tx View Post
    Pro Mark 5A nylon tip, natural finish.
    thats a great stick

User Info Menu

I have always used Regal sticks , mostly Regal Rocks . On occasion I will use Regal Jake Hanna for jazz.

I always use nylon tips because I prefer the way they sound and react on the cymbals .

User Info Menu

yeah i like the sound they make on the cymbols, they jus dont last that long for me

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's just me or if it's the Pro-Marks, but I've never knocked a tip off of these, and I've probably gone through about 30 pairs in the last couple of years since I've been with my current band. Then again, I never hit hard with the tip end of the stick on the outer edge of my hi-hats like some people do. If I'm bashing the edge of the hi-hats, I hit them with the shank of the stick, if you dig what I'm saying.

Any nylon tips sound great on my A Customs, they bring out all those nice high-end frequencies from smooth, slick surface cymbals like those or some Sabians.

User Info Menu

i dig u peach lol, i dont hit my hi hat hard with the end either, but i do on my ride, its kinda hard not too unless u just wanna play real soft

User Info Menu

I use too use 5A vic's, but now i use the zidiljan 5A dips, The black covering on them just gives them soo much more grip, and when i play for long periods, i dont get blister's, as for a tip, i just use nylon.. no real reason just never realli used ones that are not nylon tipped
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

i like timbale sticks, perferably the alex acuna sigs, because there lightwieght double butted sticks, extra long, and extra strong. i have this habit of shearing off little bits of the tip on my hats(i tip them for a different sound shaft for stronger sounds) and these dont do that.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I'm currently buying new models of sticks and changing my preferences. But after breaking my practice sticks I've started using Zildjian Pipe Band sticks for practice, and Vic Firth 5B sticks for playing.
    Last edited by Roger; 06-28-2008 at 10:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I like Zildjian Travis Barker Artist signature....
    It's cool...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Promark 5A's or Regal Tip 5A's and Zildjian drumstick wax for grip.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Regal Tip Randy Cook's.........great sticks...

Im 6"2 with 2 long arms, so i like a nice lightweight extra long stick...any other suggestions? 5a, 7a, 2b's all too short for my liking....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Not to long ago there was a thread about who uses what sticks etc. I remember posting that when I have to buy sticks, I buy three pairs. Two pair of what I use and one pair of something I haven't used. The two pair go in my stick bag and that ensures that I always have a spare on hand. The odd pair is what I usually practice with. When my favorites wear out and splinter, I toss them out...I don't see the sense in using them for practice if I won't use them to gig. For my big band, I always use the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride (5A). When we play some of our Funk and contemporary Rock charts, I use the Vater Rock (5A). When we play some of the Latin...Brazilian Sambas...I often use the Vic Firth Bolero...this model has a thicker shaft and makes a nice rim shot when used as a cross stick on the snare. The butt end really snaps the tones out of the toms when playing at these faster tempos. Using this purchase format, I also acquired the Vic Firth Perter Erskine sig stick and the Zildjian Dennis Chambers Jazz stick. Both are thinner and lighter than the 5A's. I use these strictly for small combo playing. The smaller, rounded bead-tips are wonderful for riding the cymbal...in this case, my K Constantinople 20" ride.
    I got started doing this about 10 years ago when I couldn't make up my mind between two pair of sticks I was wanting to buy. The dealer suggested I buy both and work with them. So, I did. That was when I got the Vater 5A rock sticks...yep, still have them. As it is now, I have about 6 or 7 pair in my stick bag and I don't buy them as often any more. This past year, I did the same with brushes. I keep an older pair to practice with and bought a new pair...the Steve Gadd model with the upturned brush tips. Very nice for the stirring effect when playing slower and softer charts and trio work. I guess that if any of you out there are curious about all the different styles and models of sticks from which to choose, don't be afraid to try something different...you might learn that you'll like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Not to long ago there was a thread about who uses what sticks etc. I remember posting that when I have to buy sticks, I buy three pairs. Two pair of what I use and one pair of something I haven't used. The two pair go in my stick bag and that ensures that I always have a spare on hand. The odd pair is what I usually practice with. When my favorites wear out and splinter, I toss them out...I don't see the sense in using them for practice if I won't use them to gig. For my big band, I always use the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride (5A). When we play some of our Funk and contemporary Rock charts, I use the Vater Rock (5A). When we play some of the Latin...Brazilian Sambas...I often use the Vic Firth Bolero...this model has a thicker shaft and makes a nice rim shot when used as a cross stick on the snare. The butt end really snaps the tones out of the toms when playing at these faster tempos. Using this purchase format, I also acquired the Vic Firth Perter Erskine sig stick and the Zildjian Dennis Chambers Jazz stick. Both are thinner and lighter than the 5A's. I use these strictly for small combo playing. The smaller, rounded bead-tips are wonderful for riding the cymbal...in this case, my K Constantinople 20" ride.
    I got started doing this about 10 years ago when I couldn't make up my mind between two pair of sticks I was wanting to buy. The dealer suggested I buy both and work with them. So, I did. That was when I got the Vater 5A rock sticks...yep, still have them. As it is now, I have about 6 or 7 pair in my stick bag and I don't buy them as often any more. This past year, I did the same with brushes. I keep an older pair to practice with and bought a new pair...the Steve Gadd model with the upturned brush tips. Very nice for the stirring effect when playing slower and softer charts and trio work. I guess that if any of you out there are curious about all the different styles and models of sticks from which to choose, don't be afraid to try something different...you might learn that you'll like it.

nicely put...a true artist you are!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

yeah thats a smart idea fiacovaz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I'm currently buying new models of sticks and changing my preferences. But after breaking my practice sticks I've started using Zildjian Pipe Band sticks for practice, and Vic Firth 5B sticks for playing.
    im not to familiiar with the ziljian, ive only had one pair before

User Info Menu

Have played 7A's for about 20 years. I've been using Regal Tip 7A's for the last couple years. These things are the absolute lightest stick Ive ever encountered! (If you know a lighter stick, tell me.) They are just above chopsticks in weight

I have to disagree that 7A's are just for Jazz. I've played them in every situation: Rock, Jazz, Church - even outdoors, and they've suited me just fine. (Okay, I dont play Speed Metal.) The light sticks give me quickness, endurance, and definitely more dynamics at lower volume.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .