Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: taped marching sticks?

User Info Menu

Default taped marching sticks?

So, our drumline uses thom hannum STH sticks for snares. Our director tapes them up for us but now that's it's beginning of the season, I need a practice set. I was wondering what kind of tape would be used to tape up a pair. Any suggestions?

===============
    Advertisement

Buy Drumstick Tape at DrumBum

Drum Tape for Drumsticks

User Info Menu

Default Re: taped marching sticks?

Athletic tape...it will get dirty by end of the season and easy to remove.

User Info Menu

I always used electrical tape , and still do .

User Info Menu

Electrical tape is great! I use it even though I can't march due to the whole thing that is me being a football player. I practice with marching sticks and I use electrical tape.

User Info Menu

Electrical Tape will probably win out here, but theres no really removing it after, you will have some ugly sticks, and they would'nt look right in a line. Especially If you tape the sticks all the way, your hands will get sticky from the old adhesive.

User Info Menu

Electrical tape all the way. We do a bunch of cool patterns and stuff with ours too.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Electrical Tape will probably win out here, but theres no really removing it after, you will have some ugly sticks, and they would'nt look right in a line. Especially If you tape the sticks all the way, your hands will get sticky from the old adhesive.
    I dont tape mine end to end . I start about an inch below the tip and overlap it for about 5-6 " , it really saves the sticks . There is no need to go any further than that .

User Info Menu

When I was a band director many, many, many years ago...I used colored tape for the snare line during marching band season. The kids thought it was cool and neat until they understood my objective. I could tell who was weak and not up to snuff just by the color. It worked!! I had a great drum line back then and was soon asked to write cadences for other lines as well as mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    When I was a band director many, many, many years ago...I used colored tape for the snare line during marching band season. The kids thought it was cool and neat until they understood my objective. I could tell who was weak and not up to snuff just by the color. It worked!! I had a great drum line back then and was soon asked to write cadences for other lines as well as mine.

Hmm, What was your objective? I tried re-reading it and I can't catch what the colored tape meant.

User Info Menu

My intent was that I could readily tell who wasn't keeping up with proper form and sticking. For the most part it was Jeff...green taped sticks. He was a good kid but I had to be on him to give me his best. Nancy, red tape, understood right away and she never faltered. Eventually, the entire line got in shape and this method continued for several years afterwards.

User Info Menu

Oh! It was just used as a assistance for you? To see the sticks better?

User Info Menu

Yes, that's right. Our "Performance" sticks were painted white and spriraled in red tape.

User Info Menu

I use the tape they wrap tennis racket handles with...you can get it at wal-mart in many different neon colors, it has a real good feel to it, I hardly ever drop a stick now ...last along time to but gets dirty after as while.

User Info Menu

use white vinyl electrical tape.....it's the most common tape out there and its like 2 bucks a roll....u dont need anything fancier.....the tape is there to prolong the life of the stick and give a better grip.nothing else
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

If you remove the old tape and put on new before they get completely nicked up, it's not as difficult. And I use a pocket knife and gently cut it off- it's a lot easier that way. Also, we only tape our sticks to the writing. You really don't need anything more than that, at least in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Years, Years ago when I was in several drumlines (school, city band, and Drum Corps) I use this white tubing my dad gave me ( he had a construction company). All you had to do is slip it over the stick, Take a hair dryer, heat the tubing up and it would shrink to the stick, then trim off the excess at the butt and tip end.

User Info Menu

thanks to everyone

User Info Menu

Talking Re: taped marching sticks?

hello. just a word of advice. when taping sticks, use a brand that doesnt leave a sticky residue if you decide to change the tape.

User Info Menu

My drumline just uses electrical tape. Saves the sticks. You will need to replace it from time to time though. Mostly snares, from what I've seen. All the rimshots they do tear up the tape :D

User Info Menu

Years before you had sooo many choices in marching sticks we stuck with the 3S model. Pro-mark had these golden oak sticks we used. We could cut an inch off the butt end and tape the tapered end with black tape ,then cover the stick with white tape. They were really tip heavy. We sometimes pin striped the stick. I like that they have sticks now that are already colored.

User Info Menu

Our drumline uses this really strong tape you can buy from the hardware store. We replace tape before every competition. I would suggest to re-tape them before competitions so you know the tape wont ware out and your stick ending up breaking while you are playing a show.
    my band got 2nd place at BOA Reigonals woo!

User Info Menu

Hmm, What was your objective? I tried re-reading it and I can't catch what the colored tape meant.
    We've used electrical tape depending on what kind of football game we're playing for. For example: For regular games, we wouldn't tape them up (yup that's right, we're lazy), and for a blackout game, we would wear black bandanas and tape them up with black electrical tape, and same for whiteout games except white, and pinkout games(the last one we have in the year) is same, but pink.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

ive used electrical tape for years. i tape everywhere except where i grip the stick. mostly cuz i like the feeling of the stick rather then the tape. it definately gives them longer life. but i have discovered, but never used, there is a site called sticktape.com and judging by the name their tape is made for drum sticks.. anyone used it before?

User Info Menu

an some drumlines giv u tape if u make the drumline.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

haha our drumline borrowed the color gaurd tape because they had white, and we needed white tape, but i went to home depot and bought a pack or assorted colored labeling tape for some style and electric tape for protecting the sticks
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.