Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC Snare drum is finished...

User Info Menu

Thumbs up PVC Snare drum is finished...

Just letting everyone know that my PVC project is done. It looks and sounds great! I took it apart and added vents to it which cured the excessive buzz I had the first time I put it together. I also tried to upload pictures from this site but got only error messages. If anyone can tell me how to put up pics, I have them and will do so immediatley.

User Info Menu

Default Re: PVC Snare drum is finished...

green... you've got to put them on photobucket and then link to it. Can't wait to see it.

User Info Menu

Thanks...probably tomorrow night then.

User Info Menu

Glad you got the buzz solved with the vent GM. I'm looking forward to pics too, but I confess that I'd love to hear an audio or video post as well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Let me figure out the pics and I'll try the other stuff ok?

User Info Menu

GM, you know we'll be happy with whatever you provide. I was just wondering what a PVC snare would sound like.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Roger that PB. I should be able to figure it out.

User Info Menu

Ooo, can't wait to see pics.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Same here can't wait!!!!!!!!!
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Greetings all,

I have uploaded some pics of the PVC drum project as well as of the rest of my kit. I call my kit "The Purple People Eater"....I love it! Let me know what y'all think about both.

User Info Menu

I don't know what intrigues me more, the pvc snare drum, the purple drums, or the oddities in the room. Ok, bear with me for a minute:

1. In the first drumset picture, what is that blue thing on the right?
    2. What is the red thing to the left? It looks like a pump of some sort.
    3. In the second drumset picture, what is that giant gray thing on the right? It looks like a giant sardine can.
    4. Also in the second drumset picture, what is the gray thing on the left that has a black bar coming out of it
    5. Who is Basic Drum Co.? Is that a custom shop?

Cool wooden contraption you built for the snare and cymbals.

User Info Menu

Nice to know that you are interested in my drums...

Here are the answers to your questions in no particular order...

Big gray thing=fuel oil tank for my furnace

Red pump looking thing=filter for aforementioned fule oil tank

Gray thing with bar coming out of it=Sewer pump (because of the geography of my house lot, gravity was not enough to eliminate sewer from the home)

And by the way...lay off my purple drums...I like them. So what did you think of the snare?

BASIC DRUM CO. is a name I came up with for a future drum shop I'd like to make. The ID badges were made as prototypes. They are supposed to resemble military 'dog tags' with the basic in military stencil font. I thought it was cool...but then again...I can be a dork!
    Last edited by Greenmonster206; 06-30-2008 at 04:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't know what intrigues me more, the pvc snare drum, the purple drums, or the oddities in the room. Ok, bear with me for a minute:

1. In the first drumset picture, what is that blue thing on the right?
    2. What is the red thing to the left? It looks like a pump of some sort.
    3. In the second drumset picture, what is that giant gray thing on the right? It looks like a giant sardine can.
    4. Also in the second drumset picture, what is the gray thing on the left that has a black bar coming out of it
    5. Who is Basic Drum Co.? Is that a custom shop?

Cool wooden contraption you built for the snare and cymbals.
    WOW Drummer, you really do have an eye for detail! It took me a few minutes to spot the Basic Drum Co. badges!

User Info Menu

I think the snare is very cool!!!

I like the color of your drums and the setup. Very interesting cymbal layout=all good!

The "DOG TAG" badges are unique and took some creative thinking on your part. Knock off the "dork" thing. You're not even close!

Great stuff and very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Beautiful job all the way around from the snare to the 'Purple kit". I think that finish is not only beautiful but unique as well. I would love to hear a PVC snare, my initial thought would be that it sounds right in line with a vistilite snare, probably with allot of crack and loud as all get out.

User Info Menu

Love the snare drum, I would love to hear that baby. And your drums look great.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

GM , great job on the snare , what size is the snare , and where did you get PVC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    GM , great job on the snare , what size is the snare , and where did you get PVC
    I would like to know the same. great looking snare drum man!

User Info Menu

That snare drum looks fantastic! I bet it sounds just as sweet.

User Info Menu

Love the snare man! And the kit is very interesting, like the color and the badges! Great job!!
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

Very nice look set, and the snare came out looking great!! Bet it sounds as good as it looks!!!
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I like the interesting look of the lugs. Very cool snare!

User Info Menu

It uses a 14" head but the actual O.D. is about 13 and 5/8" or so. I got the PVC at a large supply company. It is actually a 12" coupling for SCH 40 pipe. It was about 13" tall so I was able to cut a 5" and a 6" deep shell. The 6" is my next project. I will try to get a sound file or video up at some point. I appreciate the comments!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    It uses a 14" head but the actual O.D. is about 13 and 5/8" or so. I got the PVC at a large supply company. It is actually a 12" coupling for SCH 40 pipe. It was about 13" tall so I was able to cut a 5" and a 6" deep shell. The 6" is my next project. I will try to get a sound file or video up at some point. I appreciate the comments!
    Very interesting , I didnt think PVC came that big , I thouhjt 6" was the largest . I was thinking you got a piece of sheet PVC and had it welded together somehow .

I was looking at some acrylic to make a set of bongos at one point in time . Great job on the snare , it really did turn out nice . Looking forward to some sound clips when you get to it .

User Info Menu

Hey Green Monster!

Just a suggestion...don't call them Basic Drums...make them sound more sophisticated! THey look great...nice furnace too....

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes