Thread: Got a Little(i mean BIG) problem here

User Info Menu

Default Got a Little(i mean BIG) problem here

Guys....
    I realize that somethin wrong about my cymbals...
    It had a lot of stick marks that cannot be CLEANED !!!
    Man...
    I try Shampoo....The dust is gone...But this annoying Stick Marks still there...
    And its Bad news that no Local Music Store in my city that stocked some Zildjian Polish...
    They only have Pro Mark...and Dunlop...

Here the pic....Maybe anyone can help me...
    ThANKS....
    -Totti-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got a Little(i mean BIG) problem here

if i was u i would order some Ziljian polish, or go back to ur local music store, and ask them if u can look at their catalog, they should prolly have it in there and they can order it for u and u won't have to pay shipping
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I have asked to the owner of my local music store...
    And you know what he said ??

"Mate, You know dollars currently price is high...We evade to buying items from overseas now...We got local items here....Same quality..."
    And he is pointing at Dunlop Cymbals Polish...
    Man...
    You know how I feel...
    My Kit :
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Both those polishes will work fine.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

man that sucks totti, ive never tried the dunlop so i have no idea what its like, maybe u might wanna try it if jimbolimbo says its fine
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I hate to say it but it might be time to try some good old fashioned elbow grease. You may not have any choice. Good luck tottie.

User Info Menu

Heck, take the cymbal to the store and ask them to demo the Dunlop cleaner for you. You shouldn't have to buy something like that with the concerns you have. They should work with you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Mine look like that, too. I have ZBT's. I will never clean them. If anything, I will in the future, just replace them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Mine look like that, too. I have ZBT's. I will never clean them. If anything, I will in the future, just replace them.
    I also have ZBTs. They came with my set and I polished my 16 inch crash with my Zildjian cymbal cleaner just to try it out. It works very well but after about 5 days It starts rusting. I don't know why.

User Info Menu

Well it shouldnt rust for one thing, thats iron

Its probably starting to turn green, which is because you dfidnt dry it, or you didnt go in a circle aroudn the cymbal, Ive heard cases of cymbals chipping because of this

User Info Menu

Thanks for feedback everyone...

Heck, take the cymbal to the store and ask them to demo the Dunlop cleaner for you. You shouldn't have to buy something like that with the concerns you have. They should work with you.
    Hmm....Sounds interesting...
    Maybe I'll try it later...Thanks Bish
    My Kit :
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I clean my K's and Istanbuls a couple of times each year and never truly get rid of stick marks. They are meant to be played on afterall. I use Dunlap shell polish and guitar polish to clean my drums and the product is excellent...though I never tried their cymbal polish. I used several brands and keep coming back to the Paiste cymbal polish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Thanks for feedback everyone...

Hmm....Sounds interesting...
    Maybe I'll try it later...Thanks Bish
    yeah that is pretty smart Bish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    yeah that is pretty smart Bish
    Hey, I'm old. Got a little experience behind these overly exposed ears.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I use Brasso on all my cymbals, and in my opinion it works better then all that other stuff, I guarantee it will remove every one of those stick marks, tarnish and so on, BUT it will also remove your logo.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

I had the same problem. I used a product called "never dull". It's pieces of cotton soaked with metal polish. It took off all of the stick marks. For tuffer stains I used a polish that come in a toothpaste type of tube. I believe it's called "Flitz metal polish".
    Hope this helps..

User Info Menu

try Groove Juice....it works.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    I had the same problem. I used a product called "never dull". It's pieces of cotton soaked with metal polish. It took off all of the stick marks. For tuffer stains I used a polish that come in a toothpaste type of tube. I believe it's called "Flitz metal polish".
    Hope this helps..
    Flitz works well on my older A Zildjian ride. It is allot more work but it comes out nice after I polish it. I sometimes need to use Sabian cymbal cleaner in a spray bottle to clean the black from the Flitz out of the lathe grooves after I polish it however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    Hope this helps..
    I use "Never Dull" also. The stuff works better than any of the polishes I've tried and it has'nt taken my logos off.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

You know Totti I was thinking that those stick marks need something that is a little bit abrasive to get them off without discoloring the cymbal, and it is a ZBT which is sheet bronze so you might consider something that isn't acidic. If it were me I would try some automotive polishing compound. There is rubbing compound that is more abrasive and polishing compound that is less abrasive and then there is what is called swirl remover which removes the swirl marks left when you use a commercial buffer on automotive paint. It takes the minute circular scratches out of the paint left from the buffer. I would imagine all of these products can be easily purchased in your county, and I am sure that they will take the stick marks off without damaging the cymbal. Again start off with the least abrasive and move up until you get a product that will take them off. They are relatively inexpensive too. Just a thought!

User Info Menu

It's only a ZBT anyway :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhaAw@ View Post
    It's only a ZBT anyway :P
    Perhaps, but in Indonesia it my command the price that we would pay for a Zildjian Constantinople. And why should he have to live with stick marks regardless of what cymbal it is?

User Info Menu

Perhaps, but in Indonesia it my command the price that we would pay for a Zildjian Constantinople. And why should he have to live with stick marks regardless of what cymbal it is?
    Indeed....Everything is so expensive here....
    High tax rate....ya know....

Anyway thanks BTD...
    My Kit :
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    I use Brasso on all my cymbals, and in my opinion it works better then all that other stuff, I guarantee it will remove every one of those stick marks, tarnish and so on, BUT it will also remove your logo.
    haven't used that, but someone turned me on to Barkeeper's friend. perhaps these are similar products...

anyway, it works excellent...like you say, it gets rid of everything. My Cymbals are the Z Armand series. they say in their catalog that this line comes purposely without any protective coating so as to duplicate the patina of vintage cymbals. they sound great, i love them. BUT they get to lookin like hell really quick.

next time i "scrub" them w/ the Barkeeper's Friend, i need to follow up with some Z polish. that may help more, because even after i clean them really, really thoroughly, they look pretty bad again within 2 weeks or so.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Put a coat of auto carnuba wax after polishing and it will help them to look nice longer.