Thread: Stick help

User Info Menu

Question Stick help

Hi guyz :3

I was just wondering whether any of you could give me some tips on choosing sticks. At the moment im using some 5A Zildjian Hickorys but i've been reading a bit about sticks recently and considering i mainly play rock and occasionally metal, i thought a different type of stick might give my playing a different sound .

So what do you guys suggest?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick help

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManMonkey View Post
    Hi guyz :3

I was just wondering whether any of you could give me some tips on choosing sticks. At the moment im using some 5A Zildjian Hickorys but i've been reading a bit about sticks recently and considering i mainly play rock and occasionally metal, i thought a different type of stick might give my playing a different sound .

So what do you guys suggest?
    if you have very small hands try a 7A very light, if you have meduim hands try a 5A or 5B, 5B is heavier though. if you have large hands try a 2B very heavy.

User Info Menu

thanks guys

another question, nylon or wood tips?
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Get yourself a pair of each and decide...

User Info Menu

yeah if u live next to a good music store, go in there and try each size out on a practice pad or somethin, and i would go wit vic firth or promark, but thats opinion
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

nylon tips sound better on the cymbols, but i like wooden ones better but is seems like everyone else likes the nylons
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Sticks are a very personal thing. You can listen to people's suggestions, but ultimately you need to go and whack some drums with as many different sticks as you can until you find the one that suits you. It could take years to find the perfect stick, but you'll get there.

My advice would be to stay away from the cheaper sticks. There are exceptions, but they are usually cheaper for lots of reasons.

User Info Menu

I'd do what Justin said, if you do live next to a music store you mine as well try some out.
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

I like wooden tip sticks because they make cymbals sound better. But that's just my opinion.

User Info Menu

I have to travel a bit to get to a music store, but next time i'm near one, i'll take your advice

thanks guyz
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

I like Vater sticks, I've tried a bunch of them and just think Vaters feel right to me. There's no right or wrong answer, it's really all about what feels best to you.

User Info Menu

I prefer wood tips. I had a pair of ahead sticks. Never really liked them. I sent them to my brother who is "a bassist that tinkers with drums"!

User Info Menu

hey man ive been using these pro mark sticks for my 3 years of drumming i would say best sticks in the world my two idols neil peart and mike portnoy also use them i recomeend them to you heres the link highttp://www.interstatemusic.com/wcsstore/InterstateMusic/ims/ipf/SM009747W.jpghly good luck

User Info Menu

I prefer wood tips. The reason being, with wood tips, all the force of the impact goes into the head, and it's the head that'll chip and shatter first if you're playing it wrong, which isn't too bad as it usually means it's got some more life in it. With nylon sticks, all the force goes into the stick itself, which means if you're a hard hitter and not holding it just right, the stick itself breaks. The only pair of nylon sticks I had shattered within 2 days because of this...but I've found a great pair of sticks, called Power 5A's, made by Vater. Basically, the head design is different, and the tips are more rounded and like beads, which makes them harder to chip away, which makes them harder to break.
    Just my two cents, or, with current inflation rates, 1 penny.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Stick help

If Yer Playin Metal Check Out "AHEAD" Drumsticks(Lars Ulrich/Tommy Lee/Joey Jordison And Phil Rudd Of Ac/Dc
    Sez Sometin About Their Sticks ,,,,,I Been Usin Em For 15 Years And Will Use No Other....try Em Ya Might Like Em.....ya I Know $35 A Pair But They Outlast Wood Sticks 50 Pairs To One!!!!worth Lookin Into...They Sound And Feel Diffrent Than Anything On Da Market!!!Yer Hands Will Thank You!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

wood, i figure you just let someone get you sticks without looking at em, cause if you have atleast 3 pairs, then what do you have to lose? but wood, and brand is how i choose, dont really worry about the sizes

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Vic firth 5BN for me bro. I have a medium hand and they flow nice for what im playin,(Heavy stuff). They realy hold together for the rim shots gig afta gig afta gig. Its what feels right to you!!

Larrysperf Guest

Also depends on type of music you play. I likeGadd or Wekal signature sticks but you have to discide what you are most comfortable with. I have tried Neil Pert signature & find they vibrate in hands. But could be just me lol. Good Luck. Also if you want some real weird sticks Van halen signature sticks are huge.

User Info Menu

dont you guy's find the nylon tips mark your cymbals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    dont you guy's find the nylon tips mark your cymbals?
    yes,it is irritating, but it makes my ride sound so nice
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I play just about every genre of music, so I end up with 7A, 5A and 5B sticks with and without nylon tips. I've been using 5A Hornets off and on the last three or four month. They do have a nice balanced feeling to them. If your in the habit of breaking sticks, try the Hornets.

And yes, my left ride is loaded with stick marks.

Dennis