Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fill Ideas

User Info Menu

Default Fill Ideas

As im new to drumming (half year) and have not takin lessons (taught myself) i would like to have like a repertoire of fills for improvisation as my band enjoys jamming during live gigs. Are there any specific fills that you guys really enjoy and use frequently, i dont care how difficult they are as i want to really improve. And any ideas of creatin my own
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Hi Amp,
    I use a lot of odd phrasings and roll variations and stuff like that but you don't want to start with stuff that's too advanced. Start with things that you can grasp onto real fast like taking 4 sixteenth notes and playing the first three on snare (RLR) and put the 4 note on the kick drum. You can do this down the kit. Pick up the Carmine Appice book for a lot of great variations of fills just like this.

User Info Menu

well heres one i made up not too long ago...

snare=s
    hightom=h
    floortom =f
    bassdrum=b

s lo-------f-o-------f-oooo--oo--ool
    h l--o---------o-------------------l
    f l----o---------o-----------------l
    b l------oo--------oo------oo--oo--l

sorry that f means flam hope this gives you an idea

User Info Menu

S=snare
    C= crash
    B= bass
    B2= 2nd bass
    its played in triplets between bass and snare i dont know how to tad out triplets yet so sorry!
    simple snare and bass fill that you can add in almost any thing to
    S [-----o-----o--o--o--o[
    B [---o-----o---o--o--o-[
    B2[-o-----o----o--o--o--[
    i dought this is tabbed out right cause the triplet parts but yea its fun to play
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Here's one I made up yesterday and it's pretty simple.
    s-snare
    h-high tom
    L-low tom
    f-floor tom

s[-------o----------o]
    h[--oo-----oo--------]
    L[-----o------oo-----]
    f[-------o--------o--]

This is a kind of verse type thing or for a bridge. Not nessacarily for a turnaround.

User Info Menu

That fill is almost identical to a fill used in a Thin Lizzy song

User Info Menu

Really? Actually, I don't even know who that is. Sorry.

User Info Menu

is cool ive come up with serveral beats and fills only to relize they are the same or nearly the same to a song or parts of a song
    an Thin Lizzy is a old band ...60's to 70's ...i think?

User Info Menu

I've never heard of em'.

User Info Menu

sounds good guys; any more input would help tho; ive started using those fills when im jamming tho they work well
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

anyone who is asking others for fill ideas is in drumming for the wrong reason... u need to feel the music and play what comes to you, improv is everything

User Info Menu

Instead of hitting a crash or w/e in a fill or after it try using ur high hat too it can sound pretty cool if used at the right time, open or closed. And you could also try doing some doubles on the bass drum and like flams or just some single strokes on the toms gives a cool sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpie420
    anyone who is asking others for fill ideas is in drumming for the wrong reason... u need to feel the music and play what comes to you, improv is everything
    true but not every one is a creative as others...and as a group we need to share our knowledge...

User Info Menu

if u get the basics down, 26 essential rudiments, there will be no limits to the fills you'll see yourself coming up with, don't get discouraged, it's all about the fundamentals, guitar players have their chords, us drummers have our rudiments, learn to love them and Be able to play them at the drop of a hat(whatever that means) I typed this on my iPAQ w/ an onscreen keyboard hopefully it wasn't a waste of time, but I don't think it will be
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

it was....people who are not creative don't just magically gain creativity from knowing rudiments....and don't even tell me that you have to know all the rudiments to be creative....i taught myself to play drums and have come up with every single beat and fill that i do and i am only now beginning to learn all the rudiments...turns out...i have allready figured out all the rudiments on my own i just didn't know that they were rudiments...point is...either you are creative or you arn't and it doesn't matter how technical you are, some of the best musicians in the world are only technical and arn't creative....there is nothing wrong with not being creative and creative people arn't any better than non creative people....we can all spread what we know and we can all learn from everyone else

User Info Menu

anyone will tell you that rudiments are one of the most important aspects of drumming. so waht you make up stuff on your own, that's like making up finger stickings for a guitar player, yea it makes noise, but so what? you're going to need to learn them at some point so why not start with them as your building blocks, like my very succesfull drum teacher did. i still have my first drum notebook from lessons... what were the first two things i learend besides quarter, eighth, sixteenth notes etc. was the paradiddle and flams. theres no reason to put off rudiments because they're hard to learn or you don't think you need them, that's like saying you won't need to learn how to read music to be a well rounded "real" drummer

User Info Menu

yes but u forget one very important detail...."real" musicians play, because they love music and if they are having a good time it doesn't matter how technical they are being....if u listen to music just for technicality then u r missing a whole other world of beauty....and starting with rudiments is not the best solution for everyone....if you are creative then i found that it's best to not start with anything that anyone else has done because then u get locked inside a small box that is hard to get out of....i began playing what i wanted to play and i didn't care if anyone like it or not i was having a blast and that's what matters and now i am learning rudiments as a way to build my repituare but i am not relying on them for creativity because their is so much more out there then 26 rudiments.....and u can be a "real" musician without reading music....u just can't do studio work and if u'll have a harder time teaching.......i want to teach so i learned to read as a way to express ideas with my students...that's all reading is, 1 method of communication and to say it's the only method of communication is to ignore your own artistic development...don't think that i'm dissing reading music or learning rudiments i do think they are very important but they are NOT to be relied upon...unless u want to sound like everyone else...plus...are u even thinking for yourself? all u said is that anyone can tell u blah blah blah, but if u actually listen to others u will see that everyone has a different opinion...i'm not saying that your teacher was a joke, i'm sure he was very talented and wise, all i'm saying is think for your self...plz...

User Info Menu

dearly noted but I am thinking for myself and that's truly how I feel about the matter. I found it a great way for me because i'm allready seeing how my knowledge of the aspects of drumming surpass that of some who have been playing as long as i've been alive. i've seen it first hand and even been commented on about it from drummers you would expect to know it. I would put what you're saying into something along the lines of the pitcher in baseball who can't hit or field the ball for the life of him, but does nothing to improve . yeah, he's a "baseball player" but come on, not to the extent that I would be proud to be a part of.to ME, seems like IF your serious about drumming YOU HAVE TO STUDY EAT SLEEP AND BREATH RUDIMENTS, IF you want to be serious, or maybe I like the idea of becoming the best you're capable of.

User Info Menu

Everyone has their own opinion and i respect that but im VERY serious about my drumming ive been playing for two years and i still dont know all the rudiments... i only recently have even begun to learn the basic ones...but the comment about being a serious drummer only if you learnt the rudiments kinda ticked me off cause that was completely uncalled for.
    and just to shoot you down...WHAT IN THE H*ll do you think rudiments are if not some clever little fill idea that some one thought up and decided to share?!
    Last edited by Chiko; 11-15-2006 at 09:54 AM.

User Info Menu

haha, yeah something like that. i'm not going to argue about this pointless topic. all i'm saying is that I GREATLY benefited from learning them WHILE I was still being introduced to drumming and it gave me a lot of confidence knowing that I was doing everything in my power to become a better drummer, why not offer a newcomer the same path that I greatly benefited from? don't be a negative nancy just because you did it a different way. and btw, sure, someone who doesn't want to Build a profession around drumming doesn't need to learn rudiments, but at the end of the day, knowing the most about drumming,and being that much more well-rounded, TO ME, offers me a better chance to succeed beyond someone who is limited by their knowledge, or therefore, lack of. and that's not what rudiments were designed to be, they were specifically for snare players in military and marching bands, and then LATER adapted to set playing

User Info Menu

EXACTLY....thank you chiko...porkie-it's great that u are so talented with rudiments, but they've got u locked in a box and you have no idea how much more is out there if you don't step outside the box...however i agree with you in the sence that if that is what makes you happy, then great, that is what is right for you....for me and chiko, being confined to only 26 rudiments isn't enough...we want to explore a whole wealth of knowlede far beyond what someone decided was going to be the basics of drumming....think of it like this, what if mozart or any of those guys never stepped outside the box and wrote what they wanted to write?....you see, back in those days, mozart and chopin and all those guys were not very popular, because they played something different, something beyond what was said to be the rudiments of those days...and now they are reveried as musical geniouses and real pioneers in music....so stick to your 26 rudiments if you want, but don't expect to be remembered.....

User Info Menu

I draw VERY little of what I play from rudiments but I think it's very important nonetheless to be familiar with. when i'm jamming and improvising rudiments are the last thing on my mind, hands down. therevis NO way that familiarizing yourself with rudiments is going to lock anyone of us in a box, that's crazy talk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpie420
    YOU HAVE TO STUDY EAT SLEEP AND BREATH RUDIMENTS, IF you want to be serious,
    what ever happened to this comment? huh? i mean you just said they're the last thing on your mind when you improv. but earlier you said that they helped you improv. ...? ..sorry but you seem to be lacking conviction in your arguement..perhaps this is all just a fluke and im completely misunderstanding you but seriously if you had no information to give... so why did you even post in the first place? especially a post the was negaltory towards the person who asked the question...

User Info Menu

fight lol

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

User Info Menu

drum battle between the three to determine if rudiments are more important than drumming from your soul

lol as if that would determine anything, i still think people should start posting videos of themselves

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity