Thread: beater weights

User Info Menu

Default beater weights

Does anyone other then me remove the adjustable weights off of the beater shafts? I followed the instructions on how and why to adjust them but I didn't really feel a difference. The Yamaha double pedal I got this weekend didn't even come with any nor did my Speed King. Once I got the pedal adjusted to where I wanted I really didn't see a need for the weights. I also like the combo drum key / hex wrench that came with the pedal.

User Info Menu

Default Re: beater weights

I scraped mine for the same reason you suggest, I just didn't feel any difference one way or the other.

User Info Menu

It took me a while but I do notice a slight difference by adjusting the beater weight upwards towards the beater on my Iron Cobra pedal. I can get a bit more force w/o having to be so aggressive with the pedal. I've had the pedal for 5 years now and, like I said, it took me quite while to get accustomed to it. I still have my SpeedKing from early 60's and use it on occassion...it's a Grand Pedal, she is.

User Info Menu

I cut my drumming "teeth" on a speed king.The newer ones have a slightly redesigned foot board but other then that they are smooth and very responsive. The beaters that came with my Yamaha pedal are old school felt types that suit me fine. I've tried some these so called new and improved types of beaters but I'll stick with the old school ones.I remember when I was a kid we used to take a skateboard wheel and attach it to a beater shaft. Remember, this is when you only had felt or wooden beater heads to choose from. Things have come along way. Don't get me wrong. I've seen the drum industry come a long way since when I started playing in the late 60's. Most of it good but there have been some losers to boot!!!

User Info Menu

I always thought it was a good idea but I never used them nor ever felt I needed them.