Thread: Clueless drummer in need of new cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Clueless drummer in need of new cymbals

Been playing about a year on a Yamaha Rydeen set that came with bottom of the line Pulse cymbals (hihats, crash, crash/ride worth a total of about $80). I want to upgrade to something better, but not something worth more than Bill Gates.

I want cymbals suited to rock drumming and willing to dish out around $600 for crash, ride, and hihats.

Thanks to anyone who gives advice. rock on

User Info Menu

Default Re: Clueless drummer in need of new cymbals

You can get really nice Zildjian A custom cymbal packs for a little over $600.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    You can get really nice Zildjian A custom cymbal packs for a little over $600.
    kk, thanks

User Info Menu

you can get also Avedis Zildjian cymbal pack for even less and then you will need a better kit
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Once you start upgrading it never, ever ends..........

User Info Menu

hi there! welcome to drumchat!

the yamaha rydeens will be ok for now...you have a few options for 600, maybe a cymbal pack with zildjian. Either the Avedis line, A Custom line, or Sabian AA, Sabian AAX.

good luck!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

HRA, if I were you, I'd hang out at a music store with my sticks in hand, and hit everything that looks flat and shiny! You've gotten some good advice here on cymbal packs near your price range - and they're good quality cymbals - but until you start hearing different cymbals and decide what sounds best to you, you'd be making a mistake to buy. Personally, I've got a mix of cymbals on my kit, and it took me quite a while to figure out the sounds that I wanted. My crashes are Zildjian A Customs (16" crash and 18" fast crash), I also have an 18" Zildjian K crash/ride that sounds awesome in the right place. My ride is a sweeet 20" Sabian AAX studio ride, and I also have a 20" Zildjian medium ride that I can play (I don't like it in the confines of my living room). I also have an 18" Wuhan china, a 12" Wuhan splash, and 12" Agazarian china. Each one is the perfect cymbal for me, and each one was purchased individually (and most of them lightly used).

All I'm saying here is that cymbal packs can be good, but make sure you know the sound you're after. For instance, cymbals for jazz, will be different that cymbals for Metal. IMHO, you should take you time, and buy just once.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Try Avedis Zildjian....

But a lot of Rock Drummer such as Tommy Lee use Z custom in their kit....
    Nice to try as well...

And nice to meet you mate...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I would suggest either Sabian AA, AAX, or APX for something in that price range. YOu can get an APX Performance Pack (Ride 20, Hats 14, Crash 16 for $620. APX might be a bit to bright for you even though you play Rock. (they are the brightest cymbals Sabian makes) If thats the case than you can get AA Rock Performance Pack (or regular) for $680.

User Info Menu

TOSCO HATS lol, $53 on musician friend, ilove them!

You can get alot of nice cymbals for that much. sabian AAX and APX are about that much for a pack.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    so true

User Info Menu

There are many,many good quality cymbals out there try as many as you can and then after you decide what sounds best TO YOU look at used you can save a pile of money and maybe get an extra crash ,splash or even have a start on upgrading your drum set !

User Info Menu

try some Paiste Alpha's too you might like em
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tlabrie View Post
    so true
    yes but it is so fun when you do upgrade!

and maybe dont buy a pack, i mixed and match my cymbals Tosco 14" hats, Sabian Xs20 16" medium thin, sabian Xs20 18" medium thin, Zildjian Avedis 20" Medium Ride and they all sound very good together.

but if your going from b8's the Xs20';s are really nice and not very expensive. i just upgraded my cymbals in the course of a month from the b8 pack just look for deals.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    HRA, if I were you, I'd hang out at a music store with my sticks in hand, and hit everything that looks flat and shiny! You've gotten some good advice here on cymbal packs near your price range - and they're good quality cymbals - but until you start hearing different cymbals and decide what sounds best to you, you'd be making a mistake to buy. Personally, I've got a mix of cymbals on my kit, and it took me quite a while to figure out the sounds that I wanted. My crashes are Zildjian A Customs (16" crash and 18" fast crash), I also have an 18" Zildjian K crash/ride that sounds awesome in the right place. My ride is a sweeet 20" Sabian AAX studio ride, and I also have a 20" Zildjian medium ride that I can play (I don't like it in the confines of my living room). I also have an 18" Wuhan china, a 12" Wuhan splash, and 12" Agazarian china. Each one is the perfect cymbal for me, and each one was purchased individually (and most of them lightly used).

All I'm saying here is that cymbal packs can be good, but make sure you know the sound you're after. For instance, cymbals for jazz, will be different that cymbals for Metal. IMHO, you should take you time, and buy just once.
    Great advice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Pastor Bob hit the nail on the head with this one.
    When i first started, i honestly did'nt realize how different cymbals were, i thought all sabians were just sabians and all zildjian were zildjian. But you really should take the time to find each individual cymbal.

For example find one cymbal that you absolutly love, and build from there.

I found a ride that I loved (zildjian 20" Avedis medium) and started from there. Then i found Hi Hats that sounded great and complimented my ride (Tosco 14" Hats) Then looked for crashes that fit perfect after some trial and error i got (sabian Xs20 medium thin crashes)

So take your time, when your first starting the most important cymbals are you hi hat, so start from there and then take your time and make sure you find what fits with everything else.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

you can never spend to much on good cymbals

i would recommend having a look at the....(zildjian A,k,z) -(pastie 2002,paint,sound formula)-(sabian aa,aax,hh,)

User Info Menu

I do like the Zildjian A customs, and always say if you buy good cymbals to start you can put them on any drum set and will never need to buy them again .

Larrysperf Guest

Paster Bob said it best take your fav. sticks go to drum store & try out different ones to see what sound you want. But they will be the end of it as you will get the bug. lol
    I have gone from b8 toZ to Hand hammered to AAX Now I have AAX crash Stage ride, New beat 15" Zil, to a Z crash, wuhan china & a custom cymbal that is 20 " & has custom holes in it. 10 & 12 splash. just remember no set rules till you get endorsments lol

User Info Menu

Check out eBay. I've picked up some quality stuff for reasonable prices. Actually, a couple of them were downright steals. I'm a Paiste 2002 fan myself, but go with what sounds best to you. Good luck!

SK
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    That is so, so ,so true.
    Joe-

www.bebo.com/cleargunshot
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My Band,One Song On The Page

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=pastor_bob;94031]HRA, if I were you, I'd hang out at a music store with my sticks in hand, and hit everything that looks flat and shiny!

Easy now Big boy, My last grilfriend Gave me that exact description!!

Note to self, .................never ever shop near PB's home town.

Official cowbell hater.