Thread: Bass Drum Trouble

User Info Menu

Question Bass Drum Trouble

Hi everyone,
    Whenever I play the drums along to songs, I always have trouble keeping a consistent bass drum beat. If I don't concentrate/pay attention to my bass drum then my foot just takes off and does whatever. If I do pay attention to my bass drum then I don't get as creative around the kit. I am a little frustrated. Does anyone know how to fix my problem or do I just have to keep practicing?
    Thanx!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Drum Trouble

Well I think you pretty much summed it up.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Practice, practice, practice, practice.......

thats the solution to most problems drummers have with drums...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Yeah, practice and RELAX! Don't do it! e.t.c.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Nik, the key is to slow down until, by repitition, you build the muscle memory. Then you'll be able to speed it up, and then you'll begin playing it without even thinking about it. It's all about doing it over and over.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Whenever I play the drums along to songs, I always have trouble keeping a consistent bass drum beat. If I don't concentrate/pay attention to my bass drum then my foot just takes off and does whatever. If I do pay attention to my bass drum then I don't get as creative around the kit. I am a little frustrated. Does anyone know how to fix my problem or do I just have to keep practicing?
    Thanx!
    I remember having the same problem myself a few years back. I was straining and labouring away and it seemed like i was getting worse. Eventually with a lot of practice, i maneged to get my foot to RELAX. Since then i aint had no problems with feet.
    The moral of my story is to not try and foce it through. Do the opposite, just relax when you play and itll come with time.
    Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Wood shed brother, wood shed!

Shazane Guest

Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice

User Info Menu

Nik... playing the drums is a real RUSH and a whole lot of fun. The only thing that truly gets in the way is trying to do it all at once. Sorry to say but, it takes years to really master the set and do what sounds so easy. I would think that if you have a method book like Drummers' Cookbook, this will help you tremendously all the while you would be learning some terrific Rock and Funk patterns. There is plenty of material available and you should have no trouble finding something suitable for you to start working with.

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys! Well I've only been playing about 3 and a half to 4 months so I guess I have to be more patient with myself and practice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Thanks you guys! Well I've only been playing about 3 and a half to 4 months so I guess I have to be more patient with myself and practice.

Just keep thinking how cool it will be to play the drums and in a way that defintely shows you to be a PLAYER!! There's a lot to learn but, there's also a heck of a lot of fun going on while you're learning. I've been doing it now for 48 years and am having a blast!

User Info Menu

FOURTY EIGHT YEARS
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

yeah practice...... it sucks and isn't usually fun unless you just get something down and rock with it, but it is a very essential part of drumming.