Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Congas: What's the best?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Congas: What's the best?

Thanks Red1, yea, i have seen some fiberglass congas..but I guess chalk it up to old fashioned, but I do prefer real wood.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Thanks Red1, yea, i have seen some fiberglass congas..but I guess chalk it up to old fashioned, but I do prefer real wood.
    Same here!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Congas: What's the best?

Good call, red1! If you find a set that rocks for you, buy it...but keep in mind that you're makin' a big commitment in time and money, no matter what congas you finally buy!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I remember walking into my favourite club and there was a great band on stage. The percussionist was playing a very scruffy set of old Congas.
    After the gig, I asked him if they were "Natal" Congas but I already knew the answer from the delightful and distinctive tone they have. Given the scruffiness of the set he was intrigued to know how I knew that indeed they were Natal (Fibreglass) Congas.

Natal seem to have introduced cheaper sets made from that generic Thai Oak or whatever it is. But It's the high end fibreglass ones that you should check out.

I have until recently had wooden Tocas which were 'OK' for most purposes. I did buy some 'Players series' on Ebay but they were terrible and decided to relist them.
    I simply have to save up for Natals one day.
    I think the Toca players have inferior heads but I thought that the glass was a few mils too thin as well which is why I got rid of them soonest. Pearl did some much better (Fibreglass) ones once but I'm unsure now what model they were.

Other comments would be. Fibreglass (Thick as poss) = Great projection for live work
    Wood = Warm sound for recording and light acoustic work.

I was interested in the comment above about Remo Congas. The Remo Mastertouch drum set was made from "Acousticon" which was in reality compressed cardboard with epoxy or similar. However, they are still among the best Live drums I have ever heard and far exceed the qualities (in my humble opinion) of modern sets costing $,000's.
    If you see a set going cheap. Buy it, you will be impressed.

If the Remo Congas are made from this stuff (which I'm sure they will be) then they would most certainly be worth looking at.

User Info Menu

I use these. Picked up the congas with the stand used in 2004/2005 at the local music store for $400 (?). Anyway, I like the sound and quality.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Great looking drums. They make my LP classics look kinda boring!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    Great looking drums. They make my LP classics look kinda boring!
    Thanks! I was a little conscious about the look at first. It was the sound that I liked. But I have received several compliments on the pattern over the years and I do really like it.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto Pediangco View Post
    All Asian made drums are of same materials & made in same factories, only the design elements & parts change. Lps are often over built shells & lack bass tones as a result. The common models using wood or glass shells are going to sound the same regardless of brand so there is no up grade in music qualities, only in price range. The more dressed up & beefed up the drum is...the less good it seems to sound ! ? Pearl, Meinl, Tycoon, Rhythm tech., Sonar & others are all made too similar so its a matter of fashion or name / brand nonsense. The only way to truly compare drums is using a uniform head like remo plastic since it is a consistent thickness if same type. The heads are the key ! The shells have a part to play as a resonator. Wood density adds volume, softer woods are warmer & hard woods approach fiberglass in high end frequencies. Shell size & fatness of bellies adds to resonance of some tones. Hard wares and internal fiberglass reinforcements that are too heavy will mute resonance a bit and make wood shells sound more like glass shells. This is why many Lp's suffer from not having full bass tones. My LIST : For tone, volume shell integrity & hard ware function dependability is : #1 ~My 1998 Ash wood, banded Gon Bops w/ new Cowhide heads ( general purpose from accoustic to big band gigs ) #2 ~Timba ( same as Orig Gon Bops but w/ design corrections ), #3 ~ Meinl top end models ( not Siam Oak soft woods or rubber woods ~ equal to Valje but more dependable hard wares. #4 ~ Lp/ Valje Armando Peraza model w/ Cherry wood shells & rubber booted bottoms. #5 ~ Volcano ( love the tone in accoustic settings but not for Salsa unless a slightly thinner head were available when I tested & played them on gigs ). # 6 ~ Fat Congas of Santa Barbara ( vintage! mid 70's ) for accoustic gigs. #7 ~ Lp Fiberglass & Meinl Fiberglass are tied for Salsa ! # 8 ~ Meinl Float Tune shells. #9 Ritmos & Skin on Skin are tied for accoustic or small band ( over priced considering obsolete problematic hard ware designs )# 10 ~ Remo w/ NuSkynz heads ( not FiberSkynz ) For Salsa & Latin Jazz general purpose work horses w/ ugly shell wrappers that go out of fashion in 4 months ! LOL ! I select based on performance environment settings, practical function & drum sound...not taking cosmetics into account except for Remos poor choice of fashion designs that must be aimed at 14 yr old & house wives.
    What do you think about the hickory 50th anniverary LP drums? Any better than the siam oak/rubber? How do they compare with Ash?

User Info Menu

I bought my LP Classics used a few years ago. They were in as new condition, still had the plastic on the badges. I bought the three piece set of congas, stands for the congas, bags for the congas and a set of matching bongos for $450. Yes, that is a crazy deal. I bought them at a GC in Virginia, just outside of DC. I bought the bongo stand and bongo bag separate. For what I paid, I absolutely love them!

I've done a ton of shows with them over the years and really have no complaints. I know that there are better out there, but these have done the job well and still look beautiful after nearly four years of constant gigging. (The thick padded bags are to thank for that.)

If I had the budget, and were buying again I would buy the Gon Bops. In the low priced models, I don't see huge differences between them.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Here is one more recent shot of my LP Classics, this is in my practice space.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Congas: What's the best?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I bought my LP Classics used a few years ago. They were in as new condition, still had the plastic on the badges. I bought the three piece set of congas, stands for the congas, bags for the congas and a set of matching bongos for $450. Yes, that is a crazy deal. I bought them at a GC in Virginia, just outside of DC. I bought the bongo stand and bongo bag separate. For what I paid, I absolutely love them!

I've done a ton of shows with them over the years and really have no complaints. I know that there are better out there, but these have done the job well and still look beautiful after nearly four years of constant gigging. (The thick padded bags are to thank for that.)

If I had the budget, and were buying again I would buy the Gon Bops. In the low priced models, I don't see huge differences between them.
    Mike. those LPs are doin' the job from what I can see! Looks like you're diggin' those drums as much as the audience is diggin' the sound!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I love Fat Congas of Santa Barbara. They no longer make congas, but have to say those are the best that I've played and continue to play.

User Info Menu

I've own a Lp Galaxy wood drum I thought was made of American oak(it's heavy enough). It cracked on me twice. This is after buying the Lp/Valje quintos that also cra cracked on me. I'm still playing my Fat Conga that is still hanging in there after going on 20 years. No cracks and a very nice sound. My drum was made in the 90s and is maple.

User Info Menu

If you do Gon Bops, invest in the California Series or the Alex Acuna Series. The shells for the California series is Appalachian Red Oak. The Alex Acuna Series does North American Ash. The lower priced Gon Bops are the cheap Siam Oak which is a rubber �� and softer wood. I found domestic woods do better in our climate.