Thread: ^^Best Resonant Head^^

User Info Menu

Default ^^Best Resonant Head^^

How about we spout off on what we feel is the best resonant head to put on a tom. Yeah, sure we all have our favorite batter skin, but what about whats on the bottom....

I put the Evans Black resonant heads on my Gretsch kit...im not sure if i like them or not...might try something else...if i get any suggestions...

So....what is it....

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Default Re: ^^Best Resonant Head^^

remo ebony ambassadors

User Info Menu

Remo Diplomats.

User Info Menu

Ambassadors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    So....what is it....
    If there was one resonant head that was "the best", no other heads would exist.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily true Vinny, because "best" might come at a price that some are not willing to pay. In order to stay within my budget, I might be willing to take second best, and save a few ______ (fill in an amount of your own currency here).

Having said that, I like resonance so I'm with BTD on the Remo Diplomats.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i have always used clear ambassadores. i have been using evans batters for awhile now, but havnt seen a need to change the reso heads i've had on the kit since i bought it. i have been using clear g2 2ply batter for recent gigs instead of the usual coated 1ply so i am thinking of trying a lighter diplomat weight reso to open em up a little.

User Info Menu

Hey Funky! Good to see ya again! I've missed your wisdom around here.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thnx pb. been real busy lately. good to see everybody doin good.

User Info Menu

Funky!!

User Info Menu

Funky has the right idea...a slightly thinner head as a Reso generally will compliment what you have as a batter. Interesting, too, is that we don't usually change out the Reso's so, go with a good quality head. On my kit, I have a Remo Ebony reso on my bass drum. Looks terrific against the red sparkle wrap and is a nice compliment to the Aquarian clear Force 1 batter I use. On the toms, I use Ludwig WeatherMasters, coated, as reso's and Remo Pinstripes, coated, as batters. The Ludwig snare has the Remo Emperor and my Slingerland snare has the Aquarian Modern vintage head...again, both are coated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Remo Diplomats.
    never heard of these.....how do these sound tuned up quite high?

one more question...what would you suggest for a good pairing on the batter head...something like an Emperor, Ambassador, G2, EC2,.......
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

They are the head Remo designed primarily for resonant heads, they are single ply 7 mil thick heads. you can use them for batter heads but they dent real easy but you get maximum resonance and sustain for days. I actually use them as a batter on my eight inch tom because thicker heads seem to choke that little drum.

User Info Menu

I was wondering, What head combinations (resonant with batter) would you all recomend for a lot of attack, little sustain, and no overtone? Peferably at pretty low cost.

I'm set up in my garage and I think my overtoned pearl pro's that came with my shell pack are causing echoes and just plain loudness outside of my house.
    Is their anything I can do to fix the echoes outside without completely muting my set or puting something on that is going to affect rebound?

Larrysperf Guest

Ambassadors and g1 for resos and its not what is best its what works for you as a drummer
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 04-16-2009 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Since I last posted here, I have put coated Ambassadors on my toms batter side and clear Diplomats as the resos. Both are single ply heads with the Diplomat being slightly thinner ply. They do help to "Open" up the natural sound of the drum. The Diplomat is a head for light jazz and orchestral playing. As a reso, it compliments the slightly thicker ply Ambassador.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    I was wondering, What head combinations (resonant with batter) would you all recomend for a lot of attack, little sustain, and no overtone? Peferably at pretty low cost.
    Two words: Remo Pinstripes. They are EXACTLY what you just described.

As for reso heads, clear Ambassadors is da way to go.
    Matt

User Info Menu

So would remo ebony pinstripes be good? I like the look of them. Will they last?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post

I'm set up in my garage and I think my overtoned pearl pro's that came with my shell pack are causing echoes and just plain loudness outside of my house.
    Is their anything I can do to fix the echoes outside without completely muting my set or puting something on that is going to affect rebound?
    Evans EC2s are also good. But, Remo Pinstripes are nice as well. I would say EC2 Batter (clear or coated is up to you) maybe with an Evans EC Reso head.

I for one use Clear G2s as batters over a Clear G1 on my 13" tom and a Clear Pinstripe on my 18" floor tom to make it more controlled. It works beautifully!
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

I have the remo pinstripes on my set and my original "Peace" drum heads as my resos. I like the sound and I am very happy. I think I may get the ambassators as my resos. after reading this post, though.

I don't think I have them tuned quite "correct".
    but i like the sound they make, making the quite correct for me.
    there's a slight resonating sound, but probably not as much as you're describing in your garage!

that's crazy talk.

Also, i know that one problem causing the elongated resonating sound following hitting the snare is by one of the drums being the same tone.
    Does this go for toms as well?
    stupid question?
    Yes, i presume.

User Info Menu

By the way,
    Welcome to DC owens!

User Info Menu

Thank you Lisdexic Hoof.

I decided to go with the remo ebony pinstripes. This guy at guitar center that has always been very helpfull to me reccomended I go with those and keep the same resonant heads on. By the way, do any of you shop at a guitar center? The one I go to in Raleigh has a great staff that are not only really helpfull but also very friendly. I was just wondering if they were all well ran like the one here.

By the way I figured out what was causing my drums to be sooooo loud outside. It's the combination of my garage acting as a drum amplifier (the sound goes from the drums to the garage door causing the door to act like a resonant head) and the pearl stock heads I have on my drums. This caused a very thumpy sound that echoes outside. You should hear it when I make use of my double pedal, it's insane.