Thread: Drum builders?

User Info Menu

Default Drum builders?

Has anybody here ever made thier own drum? If so, what is it and how did you make it?

I made my own Djembe out of a 2' x 4' oak log. Spent many,many hours sitting out in the woods carving that thing by hand with a chisel and a rasp. by the time I finished, it measured 13" x 27". I got 3 metal hoops, a goatskin, and a bunch of hemp rope and I laced it all together. To this day, I take more pride in that drum than any other instrument I own!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Im trying to make a set of those drums that get longer in stead of wider made them out of 2 ply fiber glass but its not going so well cause i dont have and hoops for them...T.T i need like 6in hoops
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

DrumBum, sounds cool. How 'bout some pics?

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd have the patience to do it...

User Info Menu

thats so cool a self made djembe if i tryed to make somthing like that it would never come out right

User Info Menu

I'l post a pic, but I have to borrow a camera again to do it, so give me a few days. I'm such a skinflint! I should break down and buy a camera. Who knows, Christmas is'nt too far away!! (hint,hint)
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Maybe you should ask for one in the corrupt a wish thread?

User Info Menu

Wink Drum builders?

Hey, roaddebris, you KNOW what happens when you put something in the Corrupt-a-Wish thread --especially when I follow you!

1DB, I can't wait to see that djembe...and I can only imagine how cool that drum sounds...are you able to tighten or loosen the head to compensate for weather conditions and/or add different tones?

At the risk of a super-bad joke...are you as tight as the heads on your hand drums?? That djembe rocks--and I daresay you play it more than any other drum you own!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Hey, roaddebris, you KNOW what happens when you put something in the Corrupt-a-Wish thread --especially when I follow you!
    Wha? Hey, btw- how's that kazoo holding up?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I can change the head tension, but it takes about 20 minutes to restring it so I don't do it that often. It usually does'nt go outside when it is cold out, so the tone does'nt change too much. I keep it moderatly tight so if it does shrink or swell, it does'nt over stretch it. And yes, I do play it more than any other drums, excluding my kit.

RD, your nuts if you think I'm going to wish for a camera on there. There's no telling what you will do to me!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    RD, your nuts if you think I'm going to wish for a camera on there. There's no telling what you will do to me!
    I have no idea what you are talking about.

User Info Menu

I made my own drum, with Stan the drum man.

It took about 13 hours (done in two days), but was well worth the work.

Stan's a great guy, I highly suggest taking one of his build a drum classes. They're cheaper then buying the drum outright too!

User Info Menu

Cool Drum builders?

Hey, bear, welcome aboard! Checked the Stan the drum man site, but doesn't look like there's anything close to my neighborhood...yet... maybe for next year?

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome BB.

Email him, and let him know you're interested. It may inspire him to do something in your area.

User Info Menu

Default minnesota renisance festival

i heard on the grapevine that the minnesota renisance festival has a djembe kinda of drum making workshop, anyone know for sure?

User Info Menu

Cool Drum builders?

Might check and see if the MRF has a website...I can't say for sure, but it might be worth a look.

Sounds like you're into hand drumming--in which case, this is the place to hang out! (You'd never guess by my member name, would you?)

Hope you enjoy it, man!

(Incidentally, they do have a website...http://renaissancefest.com/ BUT the '06 festival was August 19-October 1...)
    Last edited by bongobro; 11-11-2006 at 06:18 PM.

Charlie

User Info Menu

anyone can start themselves out first i'ld recommended keller maple shells from precision drums or something like that i'm asking for all the parts to make a bass drum for xmas, I have two additions on my house(well my parents house) and one is my dads santuary, a wood shop with countless opportunities with all his damn tools that he swears are necessities, now it's my turn to use em all. i'm pretty confident that we'll have everything we need for drilling the hardware holes and bearing edges, most likely a 45 degree, rather sharp one for optimal 'boom' and tunning range, I like a big ol' 'thud'. I don't think I would have made it to the minnesota rennisance festival anyway, some of those people give methe willies.
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

jarhead Guest

you guys have way to much time on your hands

User Info Menu

Cool Drum builders?

Maybe, jarhead, but we find plenty of cool things to do with our hands, too!

Charlie

jarhead Guest

good point...you are hand drummers...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum builders?

Back in the 90's I built several crude drums because I could not afford much and the selection was thin too. I built 5 or 6 drums out of stacked plywood rings and paper tubing. At the bearing edge and skin I used some goat skin tar drums for 4 of them (12", 14", 16" and 18"). They had a thunderous bass tone and I used them with the Afro-Cuban group I was playin' with. I also had built a found object rack (like the Fat Albert band) with musical junk mounted on angle iron supported by a folding walker I bought for $2 at a second hand store.

Music is made this way in many 3rd world nations. I play steel drums and they were invented with junk oil drums. One man's junk is anotherman's treasure.

User Info Menu

I like building drums. My latest projects are staved djembes.
    Here is my facebook link to the process
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...853&aid=215508

Last edited by bongobill; 03-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Sweet work bro. What kind of skin?

User Info Menu

goat