Thread: E-DRUM Horror Story

User Info Menu

Cool E-DRUM Horror Story

Why Is It When You Put Yer Faith In An E-kit,pads,
    Or Sampler You Also Must Account For Failure And Have Spares ?....Thank God My Intuition Was Correct And I Still Have My Acoustic Kit Cos My Yamaha Pad Brain Shorts Outs And Lord Knows How Long It Will Take To Get It Fixed....I Am REALLY "B- E- N- T "(pg Word) But Thankful By Years Of Experience To Have Not Put All My Faith In One Product.....Any Other Thots???????
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 07-04-2008 at 01:39 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-DRUM Horror Story

I have to agree with you Phroggee. I do not own an E-Kit and would rather have better electronics around the house than that. However, it always seems that if you have just one of something you can bet that the day will come when you wish you had a back-up. Now that I think about it, is that why so many of you have multiple drums sets?

User Info Menu

The electronic kits aren`t totally reliable, not like an acoustic kit...it depends on the kit too....you cant compare the high-end Rolands to the cheap 400 kits....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Cool Re: E-DRUM Horror Story

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I have to agree with you Phroggee. I do not own an E-Kit and would rather have better electronics around the house than that. However, it always seems that if you have just one of something you can bet that the day will come when you wish you had a back-up. Now that I think about it, is that why so many of you have multiple drums sets?
    Trouble is, using that logic, you end up having so many "back-ups" you don't have room to "back up" in your own drum room! Bad pun, man, but the point is, you CAN have too much of anything (and you'd never think you hear me say that, did you?)...

In the case of an e-kit, however, it may be justified...look how long it's taken other electronic devices (calculators, computers, etc.) to develop any kind of dependability record. E-kits are about where computers were when we jumped from Commodore 64 to the first IBM-compatibles...

Belated congrats on your 1000th post, BTW !
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

When playing out a lot of musicians carry spare parts, guitarists often bring two guitars, extra cables, and a back up amp to a gig. I would think with an E-kit you could have some spares on hand don't need an entire back up E-kit but an extra pad, spare cables, and a spare brain (possibly one of the cheaper ones for a back up), you probably could get by plugging in to the PA system direct so may not need a spare amp. If you're making money playing out being prepared for a gear failure is very important. If you can't perform because of a grear failure it can spoil your rep pretty quickly.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

hey, my toaster broke the other day..

i have to light a fire if i want to cook some bread now..

things that plug in are going to be less reliable than that which doesnt..
    im sorry to hear that it broke phroggee, but as soon as you put some reliance upon stuff that is made in china - its going to break for sure!

never rely upon computer technology.. a backup plan is always needed.
    BB wrote:
    n the case of an e-kit, however, it may be justified...look how long it's taken other electronic devices (calculators, computers, etc.) to develop any kind of dependability record. E-kits are about where computers were when we jumped from Commodore 64 to the first IBM-compatibles...

LOL thats really very true

User Info Menu

So I Know Dis Guy Who Works For A Musicstore He Happens To Run Da Drum Section ....(me),,,He Gets One Of His E-whiz Buddies And A Handy Dandy Soldering Iron And My MACHINE Is Well Again(for Da Moment) I Just Hafta Remember I Have Bags Of Percussion Stuff (in Addition To My Regular Kit) In Case Santana Calls....THANK You Jim Keltner For Reminding Me How To Be Creative "In Da Moment"...I Sometimes Think We All Should Be Reminded Of That,,,It Keeps Our Creative Doors Open So The Winds Of Change Can Carry Us To "Play It Forward"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I got a simmons sd5k for 599.. after about 6 months, all the screw mounts in the cymbals had snapped off, and they made an awful noise when i hit them.

8 month mark the cymbals died. the internal solders had come undone, had to open them up and resolder all the cymbals probably 10 times each

1 year mark the drum brain frizzed out on me. it became shock sensitive so i had to put it on a stand. also it got stuck on the '1' drum kit and nothing else worked

14 months the bass drum died, had to sacrifice my tom2 to make a bass drum (which effectively made my drumset a 3 piece)

18 month mark the cymbals basically exploded into pizza slices. bought some plastic cymbals on ebay and some piezos and turned them into cymbals

22 month mark those died too, as did one of the snare/tom pads

so yeah, the thing didnt even last 1 year. at the 2 year mark its basically a practice pad set in horrible condition. but its still good for practice, so yeah.

Electric drum sets just cant handle abuse at all. i'm definitely jaded from E sets and definitely wont buy one again

User Info Menu

Everytime I Put My Faith In E-drums,I Am Severly Letdown....IT Saddens Me Greatly Cos The Potential To Have A Complte Library Of Sounds That You Can Pick Up And Cart Off Easily Is Every Drummers Dream And Many Drummers Dissappointment....Bummer To Me That My Yamaha Pads Shorted Out During An "Audition"...and Definately Thinking "Outside That Box" And My Creativity Saved That Job For Me....Can Someone Say "More Cowbell"????

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Can Someone Say "More Cowbell"????
    More Cowbell!!!!

(Did I pass the audition?)
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    More Cowbell!!!!

(Did I pass the audition?)
    (ahem...) Not quite...it's like MORE COWBELL!!!

roon, there's something to be said for old-school technology, mate...I purchased a Sunbeam toaster which was manufactured somewhere in the 1950s about 1993 to replace an inexpensive toaster that didn't even last a year after I bought it to replace our previous toaster--the darn thing still toasts extremely well. Best $5 I ever spent at a yard sale....

And many old drums, if taken care of, can still sound better than some of the newest kits on the market today!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

But if an e-kit is all you can have it's better than nothing at all.......

User Info Menu

No dissin' of E-drums intended, DC...but the E in E-DRUMS could stand as much for "evolution" as well as "electronic." Like anything electronic--from the first radios to the first pocket calculators to the first E-drums--the first improvements came as a result of field testing by customers who bought the first models--and the companies learned from their mistakes!

I prefer acoustics, but I've played a few E-kits which were pretty darn good; if that's all I could use for whatever reason, I'd be happy with them...and you have done darn well with yours!

Charlie

User Info Menu

If We Could Only Get Some Kinda Warning Before They Freak On Us At Da Most Inconvienent Times!!!!! I LOVE THEIR CAPABILITIES BUT THEIR DURABILITY LEAVES ALOT TO BE DESIRED!!!!

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

Ya Got That Right Brother Phrogge! But It's More Like The Ding! Ding!! Ding!!! Usually Catches Ya Off Guard When Ya Least Expect It!

Later, Bro'!

Charlie

User Info Menu

ELECTRONICS!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!...cant live with em....cant live without em!

all the best..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    you end up having so many "back-ups" you don't have room to "back up" in your own drum room!
    You have a drum room??!
    Tovaste 7pc drumset
    Zildjian14"Hihat
    Zildjian16"Crash
    Meinl16"ThinCrash
    Sabian10"Splash
    Sabian18"China
    Meinl20"Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamiDrummer View Post
    You have a drum room??!
    Yes - it only took me 40 years to get it...........I was very patient. There were lots of twists and turns in my drumming life from 1965 until now.
    Just reminiscing here .................

I am looking at getting an electronic kit........maybe this one:
    http://www.roland.com/products/en/HD-1/index.html

I played it last week in a local drum store and it was lots of fun. Where I live they're $800 a total of just over $1,000 with tax and the center speaker.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Rami....I Have A DrumRoom Wanna Come To Phoenix Arizona And See It?

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA

User Info Menu

I'm reading a lot of BS in this thread. E-kits are just like any acoustic kit. You get what you pay for. I've been playing drums for over 30 years. I've played with touring bands, I've used entry level acoustic kits that fell apart from being on the road and I've used top of the line acoustic kits that had no problem at all.

The same goes for E-kits. I've been playing Yamaha E-kits Exclusively since 2005. I own the DTXTREME 2 and the new DTXTREME 3 kits. I have never had an issue with either of these kits. All the modules, pads, and hardware have performed flawlessly. Back in the mid 80's I owned a low end Simmons E-kit and it broke down , it couldn't handle the constant use.

Don't lose faith in E-kits, just know that if you are going to use an E-Kit as your only kit, spend the money and get the top of the line kit.

Last edited by NPYYZ; 12-04-2008 at 04:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'm reading a lot of BS in this thread. E-kits are just like any acoustic kit. You get what you pay for. I've been playing drums for over 30 years. I've played with touring bands, I've used entry level acoustic kits that fell apart from being on the road and I've used top of the line acoustic kits that had no problem at all.

The same goes for E-kits. I've been playing Yamaha E-kits Exclusively since 2005. I own the DTXTREME 2 and the new DTXTREME 3 kits. I have never had an issue with either of these kits. All the modules, pads, and hardware have performed flawlessly. Back in the mid 80's I owned a low end Simmons E-kit and it broke down , it couldn't handle the constant use.

Don't lose faith in E-kits, just know that if you are going to use an E-Kit as your only kit, spend the money and get the top of the line kit.

beauty kit

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

i completely disagree. the 'you get what you pay for rule' doesnt really apply to electric drums

what would you say is a healthy price range of drum sets? 350 bucks all the way up to $5,000.

now for electric kits? lets see. a cheap ****ty one is gonna be like 499. and the top of the line yamaha/ rolands are like 5,000

to keep my point short and sweet, comparatively the 350 dollar acoustic kit is gonna last a hell of a lot longer compared to the 5,000 acoustic kit whereas the 499 electric drum kit will be totally dead after a year or 2.

acoustic kits are pretty simple. unless you get one with shells made out of pressboard or some ****.

basically, my whole point is, theres no point in buying an electric kit unless its a high end kit that costs atleast a couple grand, because everything else is pure garbage, whereas even garbage acoustic kits will hold up for a long *** time

User Info Menu

any one know the adverage life of a high end kit.

I know that overvoltage (an issue around my area) kills electrics easy as anything. I would have to put some kinda filter on one if i got one.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanforever View Post
    i completely disagree. the 'you get what you pay for rule' doesnt really apply to electric drums

what would you say is a healthy price range of drum sets? 350 bucks all the way up to $5,000.

now for electric kits? lets see. a cheap ****ty one is gonna be like 499. and the top of the line yamaha/ rolands are like 5,000

to keep my point short and sweet, comparatively the 350 dollar acoustic kit is gonna last a hell of a lot longer compared to the 5,000 acoustic kit whereas the 499 electric drum kit will be totally dead after a year or 2.

acoustic kits are pretty simple. unless you get one with shells made out of pressboard or some ****.

basically, my whole point is, theres no point in buying an electric kit unless its a high end kit that costs atleast a couple grand, because everything else is pure garbage, whereas even garbage acoustic kits will hold up for a long *** time
    you get what you pay for goes for pretty much anything you purchase nowadays, e kits included.

Official cowbell hater.