Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Female Drummers, Speak Up

User Info Menu

Default Female Drummers, Speak Up

For the record, im male....i was just wondering...How many female drummers OR percussionists do we have in here?

User Info Menu

does that mean female all the time or just certain days of the week? (i don't know what that means, just ignore it)
    max

User Info Menu

o goodness
    hahaha
    im sensing a little cross dressing thunder.
    have anything you would like to share?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

ok i know im a bit late to join this conversation but i just came accross this site now I just want to say that im really having a difficult time.Ive just joined a well known band here and because they are already established everyone knows they got a new drummer....but the comments are never anything about my drumming only about that im female and if they think im goodlooking or not.Its so irritating because i take drums seriously and they dont take me seriously because im a girl.been drumming for 8 years and its my life and everyone always has preconcieved ideas that girls cant drum!

User Info Menu

ChixStix [great name BTW] - welcome - rock on, more power to ya. Yeah, ya kinda learn to expect that kind of ignorance a lot. Just blow it off & Don't waste yer drummin brain power on stoopit stuff like that. Just keep practicing/playing.
    Some of my fave drummers are femme...Terri Lynne Carrington, Sherry Maricle, Sheila E, Cindy Blackman, there's a few serious players right there; there's many others AW. Kin Thompson, Hilary Jones, "Sherry Baby," but a few more, & that's just "on" the radar...of course, someone like Gina Shock & bands such as Vixen, etc [& there's more today] were a high-profile influence on a lot of young ladies [& guys!]..."word." /;-]
    I'm male BTW...not that it matters...[unless you're a gynocologist or urologist...or "plumber," or the mail-or-milkman/woman]... j/k lol

Peace out, rock [jazz/funk/blues/RnB/clasical/fuso/bluegrass] on...
    Last edited by Trane Weck; 06-01-2006 at 12:08 PM.

User Info Menu

good to hear chixwstix....it's always nice to see female musicians especially ones that take it seriously....keep rockin...

User Info Menu

hey .im looking for drum tabs to the view from the afternoon by Arctic monkeys. Does anyone know where i can get them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chix with Stix
    ok i know im a bit late to join this conversation but i just came accross this site now I just want to say that im really having a difficult time.Ive just joined a well known band here and because they are already established everyone knows they got a new drummer....but the comments are never anything about my drumming only about that im female and if they think im goodlooking or not.Its so irritating because i take drums seriously and they dont take me seriously because im a girl.been drumming for 8 years and its my life and everyone always has preconcieved ideas that girls cant drum!

So are you ?....you know...."good looking" ?

HA!....damn, I just get funnier every day!
    Please, somebody stop me !
    Just kidding...
    ....Welcome to DrumChat. Make yourself right at home.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    So are you ?....you know...."good looking" ?

HA!....damn, I just get funnier every day!
    Please, somebody stop me !
    Just kidding...
    ....Welcome to DrumChat. Make yourself right at home.
    You are terrible!!!! LOL!!!
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trane Weck
    ChixStix [great name BTW] - welcome - rock on, more power to ya. Yeah, ya kinda learn to expect that kind of ignorance a lot. Just blow it off & Don't waste yer drummin brain power on stoopit stuff like that. Just keep practicing/playing.
    Some of my fave drummers are femme...Terri Lynne Carrington, Sherry Maricle, Sheila E, Cindy Blackman, there's a few serious players right there; there's many others AW. Kin Thompson, Hilary Jones, "Sherry Baby," but a few more, & that's just "on" the radar...of course, someone like Gina Shock & bands such as Vixen, etc [& there's more today] were a high-profile influence on a lot of young ladies [& guys!]..."word." /;-]
    I'm male BTW...not that it matters...[unless you're a gynocologist or urologist...or "plumber," or the mail-or-milkman/woman]... j/k lol

Peace out, rock [jazz/funk/blues/RnB/clasical/fuso/bluegrass] on...
    Thanx for your advice,although it does kinda make things more difficult and is kinda a damper on things, i think im strong enough to ignore it and when they see ive made it they all gonna be kicking themselves!!
    Anyways,,,,our website is up finally so please go check it out....www.chixwithstix.co.za its still new and needs lots of changing but its something for now. Rix

User Info Menu

Cool website, I wish you guys the best and keep up the good work!!!

Keep us posted on things.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chix with Stix
    Thanx for your advice,although it does kinda make things more difficult and is kinda a damper on things, i think im strong enough to ignore it and when they see ive made it they all gonna be kicking themselves!!
    Anyways,,,,our website is up finally so please go check it out....www.chixwithstix.co.za its still new and needs lots of changing but its something for now. Rix
    That web sight is very cool.
    I'd love to see some more live shots of your gigs!
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

hey nice site, did you design it yourself or hire someone?

User Info Menu

I bet it is hard to deal with that extra pressure when performing. I checked your site out and would love to hear a sound clip of the three of you.
    Keep rockin, and do not worry if guys think your good looking or not. Its one of those stupid guy things we do.
    Keep rockin

User Info Menu

Chix, I went to a well known music school years back and there were two types of female drummers there; ones that used their femininity to try to get things or gain an advantage, and those that took drumming "very" serious and did their absolute best. The latter had the attention and respect of everyone there, despite their level of competence on the drums.

If I can give you a piece of advice; put the female thing out of your mind. The more you give it attention, the more it will spill from you indirectly. You may not realize it, but it is happening. For example, your footer in this chat forum. I would advise choosing one states your confindence rather than your sensitivity of the male/female drummer issue.

Welcome to the group. We're glad to have you here!! ...Now kick some ***!!

User Info Menu

uh...Thank you Dr.Phil.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc777
    hey nice site, did you design it yourself or hire someone?
    thanx i just got a friend to do it as a quick fix.still needs work but at least its something for now.Just wanted to get something up for thte moment

User Info Menu

Drummer:
    its so much easier said than done.ive just come back from tour and even though ive been playing for 8 years, i feel less confident than ever! Dont mean to give you a sob story but i am one of those hard working ones that take it seriously.i mean for 5 years i went twice a week for lessons,took it as an extra subject at school, taught and still a little bit teaching, taught at a performing collage here and the girl thing is so much of a non issue that ive just come back fron a 3 week tour with 28 guys! But when you are constantly put down for something you cant control its very irritating...and i mean constantly.and ive ALWAYS said i want people to close their eyes...have a guy play and then i play and then see if they can tell the difference and then judge me but unfortunatly no1 does that! .....*breath*

User Info Menu

OK...I've got my eyes closed....mmmm....you're wearing Chanel # 5 , aren't you? nice.
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

lol....ur a hoot boo

User Info Menu

Im a female drummer. it kinda runs in the family, ive been playing for 7 years, and im 12. I think girls are SOOO much better than guys!! for example: My sister Lindsay, when she was trying out for honor band, got the #1 percussion tape in the whole San Juaquin Valley for all freshman-seniors, and shes a sophomore!!
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

How much for your weemen ?
    BOOOOOO!!!

User Info Menu

and de children?

User Info Menu

we girl drummers need to stick together!
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

STICK together...lol....badum chie...good pun