Thread: tabla

User Info Menu

Default tabla

i dont own a tabla but I am gonna try to buy one soon, and i just need to know if you use your individual fingers when you play it or just your whole hand if anyone knows?
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Default Tabla

Cool!

Actually, you don't buy ONE tabla...they come in pairs...and from what I've seen and heard, you play them in a seated position (not like bongos, however). You sit on the floor and have them in front of you; there are two of them, one small and one large; one of them sits in a ring that supports it and raises it up a bit to accentuate the sound.

Tabla playing, from what I understand, is a combination of hand and finger action; I can't describe it as well as I would like; there are books available that break down the rhythms into little bits and pieces (might want to check DrumBum.com; I'm sure there's something out there!)...

Haven't played them yet myself, but...there's always a different hand drum to try.

BTW, if you want to really sound sophisticated, "tablas" is pronounced "TAB-uh-lahs."

Go for it, metal-head! ...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Cool!

BTW, if you want to really sound sophisticated, "tablas" is pronounced "TAB-uh-lahs."

i never knew that. Iv'e always heard it called just "Tab-lah". I always thought it would be neat to play them.

User Info Menu

Unfortunatly, I've never gotten the chance to try playing them. I know they sure sound cool. Someday.........
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads