Thread: which gig??

User Info Menu

Default which gig??

hey all, any input i can get here would be much appreciated.
    Im moving to a new city and am waiting for a gig which looks great in a couple months. In the meantime ive found another looking for me to play, don't totally dig the music but just want toplay to keep on top of things. so #1 is this worth playing music i don't dig to stay on top of my game and #2 is this a good thing to do as i am looking and waiting for the better thing to come along.
    thanks for any help

Jamie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by logiejamie
    #2 is this a good thing to do as i am looking and waiting for the better thing to come along.
    As long as your fair to the band that hires you in the interim. Give them a respectful notice and don't stand them up on any gigs.

User Info Menu

you said:
    "don't totally dig the music but just want toplay to keep on top of things. so #1 is this worth playing music i don't dig to stay on top of my game "

IMO, if you're playing to put food on the table then yes, take the gig, but speaking for myself....if I'm not into it, then i'm just not into it....so, would my performance lack luster????

I gotta like playing it!

User Info Menu

Me too, you should like what your playing

User Info Menu

Lightbulb which gig??

I agree with drummer on this one. You can learn something from just about any gig you play, even if it's stuff you "don't dig."

At various times, I have played with country-rock bands, folk musicians, a big band, and a contemporary Christian group. Some of the music I've played is awesome. Some of it...well...it's "payin' your dues." For a couple of months, you can learn tricks from the interim band that you can adapt to that dream gig.

And, as drummer warned, be fair to the interim band...as a dude at my day job once told me, "you often meet the same people on the way up as you do on the way down."

Good luck, jamie, and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I agree with Gmbydmit. If your a professional drummer who does gigs for other bands or with other bands for money, then I would say take the gig. If you’re not drumming for money, then I would say no.

I want to say one thing though. I think if you limit your self from playing different types of music then I don't think you should be a drummer, no offense to anyone. The reason why I say this is because music is evolving into something that I think is a mix of all types of music this day and age. So if you limit your self from playing only one type of genre, then I don't think you can expand or evolve to different types and sounds of music that has never been heard. That’s what I'm going for.