Thread: What would you do?

User Info Menu

Default What would you do?

most of you probably know, but a refresher...

not long ago i switched from a 5-pc kit to a 4-pc, which is what is in my sig...

i love it, it's great

BUT..sometimes i really, really, miss the 2nd rack tom.

i currently have: 22x14 bass, 14x6.5 snare...my toms are 13x9 and 16x16.

ok, i could get a 2nd tom holder (the one I have is a vintage, holds only 1 tom) that i believe simply slips into the bass upon removing the current single tom holder i have. i.e. no bass alteration, just loosen a wing nut, take out the STH and slide in the new double tom holder.

what i am getting at is, since the change of setup would or SHOULD be so simple...i am considering adding the double tom holder and getting a 12x8 tom, and a 2nd floor tom, a 14x14.

plus i want to add 3-4 more cymbals varying in size from 14-21 inches.

i love the vintage of the 1 up-1 down setup i got. but sometimes i want more. not only the 2 extra toms, but another ride on the left, possibly even another ride on the right (making for 3 total rides - i love rides) and another small crash or 2 "stacked" on top of the rides...

good idea or bad?

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What would you do?

I think you should do what ever you want. If you want 1,2,10 more toms you should get them who are we to say what you should do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I think you should do what ever you want. If you want 1,2,10 more toms you should get them who are we to say what you should do.
    because i get great advice from everyone on here. no one is an a**.

neither are you, not at all. in fact you're kind of answering me Q for me

since adding a rack tom pretty much just means slipping out the STH in place of the DTH and a FT can be moved just by picking it up...i can move between the vintage 4-pc to the 2-up 2-dwon pretty easily it seems. the only problem being since they are classic maples, buying those 2 drums will take a little time

but ya always gotta have somethin' to look forward too, right? (not to mention the other rides @ about 250 a piece lol)

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

User Info Menu

If you get the extra toms, you can always reduce your set back to a four piece, when the gig would benifit from the more scaled down kit. Having the extra toms gives you more options, and you can always go back. I'd go for it if that's what you want to do.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Luddy , I have a set of vintage Ludwigs from 1967 . In 1978 I drilled a hole in the top of my BD and added a new double tom holder , hung a 12 x 15 tom on it and never looked back . Been lovin it ever since . Good luck with it .

User Info Menu

i would get more toms! do whatever you want, if you want more toms get them. you will always be wanting those.

User Info Menu

Playing 4 piece quite a while and now going back to 5. I've found (for myself at least) adding a second rack tom gives me a little more options especially during a solo. Besides, I have learned some new patterns that call for a five piece set up. I picked up a tom on ebay for dirt cheap yet it matches my Chrome O Wood Ludwigs perfectly. Needs a little cleaning but it looks just fine and sounds perfect!
    I concur, do as you please and feel comfortable with.
    Last edited by Styxx; 07-07-2008 at 07:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Luddy , I have a set of vintage Ludwigs from 1967 . In 1978 I drilled a hole in the top of my BD and added a new double tom holder , hung a 12 x 15 tom on it and never looked back . Been lovin it ever since . Good luck with it .
    how could you violate that vintage bass drum! shame on you Lou!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

If you feel like you want more, get more my friend....its like you said though, the toms are gonna cost you some cash...lots actually...cymbals aren't free either. Going to a 6 piece kit will give you many more options...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luddy71 View Post
    because i get great advice from everyone on here. no one is an a**.

neither are you, not at all. in fact you're kind of answering me Q for me

since adding a rack tom pretty much just means slipping out the STH in place of the DTH and a FT can be moved just by picking it up...i can move between the vintage 4-pc to the 2-up 2-down pretty easily it seems. the only problem being since they are classic maples, buying those 2 drums will take a little time

but ya always gotta have something' to look forward too, right? (not to mention the other rides @ about 250 a piece lol)

I went back and reread my earlier post and it sounded kind of sarcastic and I apologize. When I posted my remarks that was not my intent. What I was trying to convey was; there are those on the forum that are die hard 4 piece players and will argue the merits of playing a small kit. You will also find players that prefer a large kit and will argue the merits of why they need a large kit. Me I play a large kit for the show band I am in, and will scale back accordingly if it is a jazz gig or country etc. If you miss the extra toms occasionally, then by all means purchase them and have them for the gigs that you want more variety of sounds for. That is what I meant by "who are we to tell you what to do." That is what makes drums so much fun is you can reconfigure all the time to lkeep things interesting.

User Info Menu

Luddy...I'm assuming that you will want to get a Ludwig 8 x 12 tom, is that correct? From what I've been told, it's not easy finding that size today but, perhaps the Classic maple from Ludwig might still have it. I, too, like the vintage look and feel. My sizes are:
    9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 16x20 bass; 5 1/2x14 snare. I also added the 16x18 floor tom. If I were to add a 2nd rack tom, it would be either 8x10 or 8x12 and would be on a cymbal mounted holder. My main concern would be the closeness of the interval between the 12" and 13" rack toms.

User Info Menu

i would go for it and get the extra toms, if u ever are going to a gig and u dont need them all then u just dont have to take them
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Options, nothing but options, don't you just love it?
    There is no right or wrong, set up and play what you want and put it where you want. The most important thing is you are comfortable and you enjoy it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    how could you violate that vintage bass drum! shame on you Lou!
    LOL crazyd , they werent vintage back then . If I had a 2nd chance I would not do it over knowing I would still have them 30 years later .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread other than to say I once spray painted a really nice red sparkle wrapped Ludwig jazz fest snare. I painted it black to match my then kit. this was in like 1979. Then it was an old snare that a friend was going to throw out, it certainly wasn't worth what it is today. I think of that now and just laugh at the stupid stuff I did.

User Info Menu

If you have the Fab Four kit, here is the double tom version of the single that you have. Model # LR2980MT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jrock; 07-07-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Some people say that changing your kit around from time to time will inspire new ideas. Try going down to a 2 piece for a while (bass and snare). Add a hi-hat, then a crash/ride...whatever. You might find that the ideas you get on a smaller kit can really be developed into killer stuff when you 'go large' again. Change is a good thing sometimes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Some people say that changing your kit around from time to time will inspire new ideas. Try going down to a 2 piece for a while (bass and snare). Add a hi-hat, then a crash/ride...whatever. You might find that the ideas you get on a smaller kit can really be developed into killer stuff when you 'go large' again. Change is a good thing sometimes.
    Agreed....look at some stuff steve gadd developed with BD, snare, HH. It make him incredible around the kit...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrock View Post
    If you have the Fab Four kit, here is the double tom version of the single that you have. Model # LR2980MT
    thanks, exactly right.

now what i'm wondering is...the part that is actually screwed directly to the bass is identical on both holders, correct? so all i would have to do is simply loosen the wingnut and put in either the single or double, whichever i want to use. if that's the case, i know what i'm gonna do...

time to check the price on a couple toms

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luddy71 View Post
    thanks, exactly right.

now what i'm wondering is...the part that is actually screwed directly to the bass is identical on both holders, correct? so all i would have to do is simply loosen the wingnut and put in either the single or double, whichever i want to use. if that's the case, i know what i'm gonna do...

time to check the price on a couple toms
    thats what you would do boss....