Thread: is there any problem with

User Info Menu

Default is there any problem with

removing a tom mount from the top of a bass drum?

or would it need to be plugged somehow?

i mean, i don't have a porthole in my bass reso head, but many folks do. would it act sort of like this, or is it different since it is: a smaller hole coming out of the top, and/or not coming out of a reso head?

i am considering mounting tom(s) to cymbal stands, but don't know how removing the bass mount would effect the sound, etc.

- luddy

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Default Re: is there any problem with

I didnt have any problems with mine . Was originally a 4 pc set , I had 1 tom and a cymbal holder on top of the BD . I took both of them off to add the double holder , the rest is history .

User Info Menu

Yup, I went the same way and it doesn't seem to affected my bass boom-age atall.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

i made my 5 piece a 4 piece once and it didnt make a noticable difference, just a gap between drumm sizes

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

If you want to just take it off, you can and it won't pose any problems sound wise. If you are trying to make it look better and plug or fill the hole somehow, I have heard of people making plates to cover the hole. You can actually make one pretty easy. I have thought about how I would do it if I wanted to get a rack or something. Just get a piece of billet aluminum and make a flat piece the same shape as the plate you are taking off. Aluminum is fairly soft metal and easy to work with. The neat thing about it is you can polish it like chrome, and I even thought I would take the new plate to a trophy shop and have my drum brand engraved on it. Just some thoughts but really it is no big deal if you are handy at all and have access to some tools.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    I didnt have any problems with mine . Was originally a 4 pc set , I had 1 tom and a cymbal holder on top of the BD . I took both of them off to add the double holder , the rest is history .

Hey GF....did you notice if your bass drum resonated better or is it no different...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    If you want to just take it off, you can and it won't pose any problems sound wise. If you are trying to make it look better and plug or fill the hole somehow, I have heard of people making plates to cover the hole. You can actually make one pretty easy. I have thought about how I would do it if I wanted to get a rack or something. Just get a piece of billet aluminum and make a flat piece the same shape as the plate you are taking off. Aluminum is fairly soft metal and easy to work with. The neat thing about it is you can polish it like chrome, and I even thought I would take the new plate to a trophy shop and have my drum brand engraved on it. Just some thoughts but really it is no big deal if you are handy at all and have access to some tools.
    i know Pearl actually makes a plate for this purpose. great idea, wish the other companies would do it, too.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

i dont think it should effect your bass drum sound at all
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not sure that I will disagree but, I do know that the very best of quality manufacture will always put out a virgin bass drum with nothing to encumber the tonality at all. That's sensitivity at its best. Any set - in attachments will cause some amount of stress with the drum shell and is, of course, taken in to consideration by the manufacturer. It is this same reasoning that led to the development of the Rims mounting system...maintain the purity of sound by not having to constrain the drum shell. So, if you remove one thing, that hole should be filled. I did this when I had the tom mounting system on my Ludwig replaced with the Rogers Swiv-O-Matic holder. There were four drilled holes and used one of them for the Rogers mounting and filled the remaining three with the carriage bolts from the original Ludwig mount. Keep in mind that I had this done when I bought my set back in 1964. They weren't Vintage Drum then. If I were to sell them today, I would not get near as much for them because of the switch in the hardware...at least, not from any serious collector. So, I didn't really disagree with what has been said but, hopefully, I am giving you some pause to think more about it.

User Info Menu

I currently have a SONOR Maple kit with the bass drum mount. I have moved my toms to a stand and have just left the mount attached to the bass drum. Whether or not I have the toms mounted on the drum or on the stand, I can't tell any difference in tonal quality.

I just ignore the tom mount on the bass drum and there is no harm, no foul.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

When I first moved my toms from the bass to cymbal stands, I felt much more punch and give from the toms; the bass (Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, 22"x18", Aquarian Superkick batter/ Remo Coated Ambassador Reso with a ring of camper's foam for muffling, no hole) seemed the same, as Yamaha supplied the kit with a plastic stopper that goes in the empty hole to keep anything from rattling.
    On my beater set, though (Yamaha Stage Customs), I fully removed all the hardware from the bass drum to clean it evenly. I purposely left the tom mount off, having a similar hypothesis that it might offer some sort of added punch. This kick sounds big, although it is a different animal than the other bass: 22"x16", a broken-in Remo Powerstroke 3 batter, Ambassador Smooth White reso, 8" offset porthole... if I were keeping the Maple Custom Absolutes, I'd change out the heads to Evans EQ1 and EQ3 with a hole- there's too much muffling. Anyway, if you do take that mount off the bass, do yourself a favor and keep everything in a Ziploc bag as you take it apart to make life easier. If I were more uptight about this kit, I'd wonder more about how the wood around the holes isn't finished, and if that could lead to problems with humidity, etc.
    I prefer the look of virgin kicks myself. The only major downside to this is that there's a footprint of the damn mount in the lacquer of the beater kit, but sonically I can't really tell much of a difference. I do know that the brochure for the Maple Custom Absolutes made a big deal that the bass came with five air vents in the shell, instead of the standard one. I suppose (according to Yamaha) that taking the tom mount off could result in some minute sonic benefit.
    Last edited by MrB; 07-28-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: forgot something