Thread: Dented Splash Cymbal

User Info Menu

Default Dented Splash Cymbal

I was thinking over my lunch hour about Deathmetaldrummer's problem with his dented splash cymbal. I was wondering to myself why being dented would change its sound so much and the thought occurred to me that when you dent metal you essentially stretch it in that particular spot and that would cause it to vibrate differently or decrease the vibration in that spot causing the sound to change. I am no metallurgist but I know that stretching metal also changes it molecular structure in that area which I would think would play a role as well.

What do you all think about this, any thoughts?

IL DUCE Guest

Default Re: Dented Splash Cymbal

I'm sure the dented cymbal's sound has changed but to what degree I'm not sure. Splash cymbals themselves have such a small sonic signature I'm not sure how noticable it would be. What I'm saying is depending on the size of the splash to my thinking would be directly linked to the sound being altered. I think it would be more noticable on a 10 or 12" splash than say a 6" splash. But that's just my opinion.

User Info Menu

that does make sense but im not to sure
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Dented Splash Cymbal

Here`s a few Q`s and A`s of the Zildjian sight about cymbal making...really cool info....enjoy!

1. How does hammering affect the sound of a cymbal?

As I said in the first question, hammering simply cold works the metal to add strength and tension to the metal. The more you hammer a cymbal, or the more hammer blows it receives, the richer the sound of the cymbal. At Zildjian, we have two hammering machines that hammer the cymbals with random blows. The tip of the hammer is similar to that of a common ball-pein hammer.

2. What exactly does lathing do to a cymbal?

Each cymbal has an outer layer of oxide, or crust, left over from the quenching process. The K. Constantinople cymbals are lathed free of most of this outer layer. When you lathe off the outer crust of oxide you reveal the gleaming metal below and the cymbal is allowed to vibrate more freely. Lathing also affects the pitch of the cymbal by changing the weight. But some cymbals we make do not get lathed. Cymbals can be used without taking off this outer layer; they just produce a different sound. We do this with some of the drumset cymbals like the K Custom Dry light ride.

3. How does the cup size and shape affect the sound of a cymbal?

The cup size mainly determines the volume and projection capabilities of a cymbal. The cup size also contributes to the pitch of a cymbal. A cymbal with a small cup will only get so loud, where a cymbal with a very large cup really opens up and sings. The curvature of the metal from the base of the cup out to the edge determines the pitch of the cymbal as well. A flat cymbal will have a lower pitch, like the Vintage Orchestrals, and a cymbal with a high curvature will be brighter.

4. How does the weight of a cymbal affect the final sound?

Weight contributes to the overall pitch of a cymbal. Contrary to what a lot of people think assume, the lighter the cymbal, the lower the pitch.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    Here`s a few Q`s and A`s of the Zildjian sight about cymbal making...really cool info....enjoy!

1. How does hammering affect the sound of a cymbal?

As I said in the first question, hammering simply cold works the metal to add strength and tension to the metal. The more you hammer a cymbal, or the more hammer blows it receives, the richer the sound of the cymbal. At Zildjian, we have two hammering machines that hammer the cymbals with random blows. The tip of the hammer is similar to that of a common ball-pein hammer.

2. What exactly does lathing do to a cymbal?

Each cymbal has an outer layer of oxide, or crust, left over from the quenching process. The K. Constantinople cymbals are lathed free of most of this outer layer. When you lathe off the outer crust of oxide you reveal the gleaming metal below and the cymbal is allowed to vibrate more freely. Lathing also affects the pitch of the cymbal by changing the weight. But some cymbals we make do not get lathed. Cymbals can be used without taking off this outer layer; they just produce a different sound. We do this with some of the drumset cymbals like the K Custom Dry light ride.

3. How does the cup size and shape affect the sound of a cymbal?

The cup size mainly determines the volume and projection capabilities of a cymbal. The cup size also contributes to the pitch of a cymbal. A cymbal with a small cup will only get so loud, where a cymbal with a very large cup really opens up and sings. The curvature of the metal from the base of the cup out to the edge determines the pitch of the cymbal as well. A flat cymbal will have a lower pitch, like the Vintage Orchestrals, and a cymbal with a high curvature will be brighter.

4. How does the weight of a cymbal affect the final sound?

Weight contributes to the overall pitch of a cymbal. Contrary to what a lot of people think assume, the lighter the cymbal, the lower the pitch.
    Interesting stuff thanks for posting it up. So I was right in my thinking that hammering it changes the molecular structure of the metal. Or at least it seems that Zildjian has said that in so many words stating that it "Cold Works" the metal. It sounds like the quenching process is used to anneal the metal by heating it to a certain temperature and quenching it (cooling it) to change the molecular structure of it as well. Annealing is a process that tightens the molecules making the metal stronger. A similar process is how they make hardened steel. If you do it enough and at the right temperature you can make it almost impenetrable. Has any of you ever tried to drill out a broken easyout tool They are made of hardened steel and almost impossible to get out once broken off. I bet 2slow would know what i am talking about.

User Info Menu

yeah its definitely a molecular change in the bonds. I read that when they first create a cymbal, its gold in color. They heat it till it begins to discolor and go black. Then they `cool`it rapidly and hammer it. Then, they reheat it till it goes back gold.....really cool....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    yeah its definitely a molecular change in the bonds. I read that when they first create a cymbal, its gold in color. They heat it till it begins to discolor and go black. Then they `cool`it rapidly and hammer it. Then, they reheat it till it goes back gold.....really cool....
    Maybe thats how they made those new paiste cymbals. They might have just heated it until it turned black and then left it alone.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Maybe thats how they made those new paiste cymbals. They might have just heated it until it turned black and then left it alone.
    I don't know the color looks way to consistent and shiny. I think that they use some sort of powder coat or anodizing to color them, whatever they do I think they are ugly!

User Info Menu

agreed...they are ugly.....