Thread: single pedal...

User Info Menu

Default single pedal...

I have been playing the vex and tama doubles on and off for sometime and find I prefer a single pedal for the type drumming I do. Any one else prefer single ?
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: single pedal...

I do. I've been a single player forever....hmmm that doesn't sound quite right.

But I use double pedals when playing out because of the need for certain things like big rolls or ends of songs or just generally messing around.

I'm learning more and more how to encorporate double pedal into the show but will probably always be predominantly single pedal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

For me it depends on the gig. For my classic R&B, Soul and Funk band a single pedal is what I use. Nothing I play requires anything more. With my variety band I use the double. We play some Kansas and STYX in our sets that require double bass to sound correct.
    I think the real trick is to practice both and be proficient at both. I all but stopped double bass for the last 5 years, joining the variety band has forced me to get back into it. I have to say I am really enjoying it, I forgot how much fun a driving double bass boogie shuffle is to play

It will only make you a better drummer
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I do. I've been a single player forever....hmmm that doesn't sound quite right.

But I use double pedals when playing out because of the need for certain things like big rolls or ends of songs or just generally messing around.

I'm learning more and more how to encorporate double pedal into the show but will probably always be predominantly single pedal.
    I am like Bish I use it for endings and all but I don't play music that really requires it.

User Info Menu

I learned a good amount with the double pedal but I still use single more (to lazy to pack the double kick much of the time). I've got a fast foot so I can play a lot of licks with one foot that sound like double bass is being used. If I ever get around to it, I'll post some stuff one day.

User Info Menu

Ive played single pedal for the past 30 years and wouldnt mind getting a double just to mess around with . Im not much into Heavy Metal where I would need one either .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    I have been playing the vex and tama doubles on and off for sometime and find I prefer a single pedal for the type drumming I do. Any one else prefer single ?
    HOLA COMO ESTAS 2SLOW*Mi amigo CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THATS Very cool that you Feel your own unique STYLE (ARTISTRY) with useing Single Peda...,within all of Each unique creative Drummer artist as their own Feel & within their ARTISTRY is ALL that this
    AMAZING VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM is ALL ABOUT *A Very DISTINCT UNIQUE Creative artistic FLOW (FEEL) (ARTISTRY )within Complimenting ALL Music with Finesse' (GRACE).& with RESPECT AND A VERY OPEN MIND**..I use DOUBLE PEDALS within ALOT of TYPES of MUSIC AND the ANCIENT ART OF SOLOING** and I also
    Love JUST USEING THE Hi-HAT(SOCK) its A VERY HARD PEDAL (INSTRUMENT)
    too Develop (DISCIPLINED TECHNIQUES as the SAME (DISCIPLINE within
    controled STRUCTURED(TEXTURED*COLORED*DYNAMIC*ACCENTED* SIMPLE to VERY ADVANCED COMPLEX TECHNIQUES (RHYTHMS)
    of and USEING DOUBLE BASS DRUMS OR DOUBLED PEDALS ,,ITS ALL FANTASTIC WHAT EVER WORKS for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED
    ARTIST IS ALL GREAT within their Own UNIQUE JOURNEYS within THEIR (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 07-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Yup,
    Old school here... Primarily use a speedking or ghost. I am turning the corner tho. I am really beginning to like my dbl bass pedal. And using a remote for my hats is alot better, For me anyway. Still have the opportunitty to do single pedal work. Haaah... yeah running a tune out really sounds full with both feet thumpin.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

I bought a DW double pedal, and began taking lessons. I sold it after about 10 months. I didn`t like the way it played. I found it took away my focus from the snare and hh.

I sold it, then i bought a single pedal Iron Cobra. (strap drive) I love it. Not to say i wont buy another double, but I dig the single pedal...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I learned a good amount with the double pedal but I still use single more (to lazy to pack the double kick much of the time). I've got a fast foot so I can play a lot of licks with one foot that sound like double bass is being used.
    When gigging I am the laziest person you'll ever meet. You'll be lucky if I show up with a 4pc and a crash. Normally though my gigging kit is a 4pc with a hi-hat and ride, occasionally a china and one or two crashes are used.

This undoubtedly means that the chances of me showing up with a double is like 1 in 10, sure I do show up with a double every now and then, but I usually over use it resulting in un tasteful playing.

However I also have a fast foot, I havn't actually seen how fast I can go but from experience 8th note triplets at 200bpm are something I can do if needed at a gig.

User Info Menu

I have thrown away my doubles as they have surpassed their day. I just cannot waste my time and effort playing doubles on pedals that are holding me back. Anyway, until I afford new pedals, I am having plenty of fun with a Gibraltar single pedal. Sometimes, I think you can get caught up trying to play doubles and miss out on so much dynamics and variations playing single and and using the left for some really cool funk patterns on hi-hat or cowbells
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

agreed..............
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes