Thread: tabourine on drum set

User Info Menu

Lightbulb tabourine on drum set

a while back i got a tambourine as opposed to a cowbell and i haven`t really been able to play it really most of the time it just turns out to sound kinda random any suggestions on when to play it
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

Mount it by your hats and ride it like you would the hats. That's what I usually hear and see done. Or better yet, find a new way to use it in a style all your own and teach it to us!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I see drummers play it on two and four a lot to fatten up a backbeat.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

i dont got one....its on my to-do list
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I have one, and I don't currently have it mounted, but you don't really need it mounted, you can just hold it in your right hand and keep a cool beat.

I suggest that you experiment with it and just play ranom crazy things, and maybe you'll find a nifty beat. Good Luck Dude.

User Info Menu

I tried using it as a boomerang once. It never came back.

User Info Menu

I have one! I don't use it too much, but at least it's there for when the song calls for it...
    I mounted mine to the right of my floor tom so I can ride on it if I want. I cut the seam where it connected to the back of it. It was in the shape of an eye, but when I cut it, it sprung open to the way you see it. Now I'm able to hit it where I need to (with a stick or my hand).

Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Lightbulb tambourine on drum set

1DrumBum has a good idea, but I also recall seeing a small headless tambourine that fastened onto the high hats and jangled each time you hit the pedal. Can't think of the brand name, but you might want to check that out...I think it was popular in the '70's on some "bubblegum" recordings, but don't let that keep you from tryin' it elsewhere!

If you do find another way to make it work, share it with us!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i heard some good notions about one from the goo goo dolls...city of angels?
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Lightbulb tambourine on drum set

Found the brand name of that headless tambourine I was talking about a couple posts back, mojo...

It's called "Hat Trick," and as the name suggests, it mounts onto the high-hats. Should be fairly inexpensive...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Default try this...

i was recently at jam session with guys twice my elder and i was trying to incorporate everything i could, my PP aux snare, egg shakers, etc. my uncle had a handheld tamborine and it didnt have anyhting to mount it to obviously, and seeing as both of my hands were occupado, i set it right next to the foot pedal of my high hat and used my heel to get that sucker rockin. did the same thing playing acoustic set w/ my djembe and just stomped on it like i was keeping the beat. tell me how it works out for you

User Info Menu

Cool tambourine on drum set

Welcome aboard, porkpie!

Did I read right--were you usin' the foot pedal on the djembe as if it were a bass drum while you were playing the set? Sounds different!

I posted this elsewhere, but I saw someone on a concert segment of one of the morning news shows who had a bass and a high-hat going with the foot pedals while playin' a funky beat on a conga drum (had sort of a gospel feel to it)...

Charlie

User Info Menu

i've done that before too bongobro but i meant stomping on the tamborine with my foot while playing the djmebe, also play the dejmbe while having the feet on the normal hi hat and bass drum for some trickery
    "Can't this wait 'til i'm old, can't I live while i'm young?"

User Info Menu

i like that....i have taught myself to play my hh pedal with my heal and the left pedal of my double pedal with my toes.....gives just a little extra somthin when u need it

User Info Menu

Cool tambourine on drum set

Thanx for the clarification, porkpie--Utopia's suggestion sounds like a keeper... might try that myself...

Charlie

User Info Menu

groovy...be carefull though, you have to turn your foot almost all the way sideways.....i strained my ankle a couple times when trying to get this down...good luck..