Drum Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Bobby Allende Congas

  1. #26

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Bongobro,
    If you still have your CP Flesh whoop take some thin fabric like an old T shirt and practice reskining with that. Put the whoop over the fabric, put the rim over both with the fabric pulled between the flesh whoop and the rim. Mounted on the drum and connect your lugs. Pull the excess out and practice cutting the excess with a sharp blade. Protect the fabric closes to the drum. I use an old gift card. Now it's the same with flat skins but you have to soak the skins. Hope this helps. Another option that I've done was to find a bigger pre mounted head, soaked it and skinned a smaller drum.
    L4C.
    Thanks for the tip...it'll be mighty helpful...now just waiting on the skin to come in...

    Quote Originally Posted by Te1985 View Post
    Here's another thought that just came to mind Red1: if you're going to gig with your drums a lot...you may want to think about it: Do you want your pretty Giovanni's getting dinged and abused? My Matadors would get dinged up on-stage! I've accidently bumped a drum with my leg during sound check and watched it tumble off a 2' stage riser onto the lower stage! OUCH!!!

    anyway....see ya, from the land of Aloha!
    Red1 -- If you do nothin' else, man, get some heavy-duty conga bags! My black CPs never saw the inside of a bag--and frankly, they look like they've been used for target practice with dings and chips in the finish. They look like but they still sound pretty good after 21 years. Although keeping the congas in one place is no guarantee they won't stay unmarked, either...my red wood CPs get bumped and rattled every so often even though they're in one spot in the music area of my church...funny thing is how my Pancho Sanchez tumba looks pretty much the way I bought it (other than the obvious signs of it being played loudly and proudly!)...

    Good luck on your purchase, mate!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  2. #27

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Ok... so I finally ordered my congas this morning. I went for the LP Classic model in the end after listening to the advice from you guys and doing some research and playing. No one seemed to have anything bad to say about the Classics and there is money left in the budget for new skins if I want to do that.

    Hey Bongo Bro I heard you on the cases so I also ordered some LP Pro Bags with wheels although if I'm not happy with them the shop said I could exchange them for something else.

    I hope to have them either by Friday or early next week. I can't wait!!!

    Thanks for all the advice guys

  3. #28

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Red1,
    From what I can tell, Bobby Allende's are fiberglass so the tone is going to be different. Probably like my LP's. I think if you're looking for a good quality "wood" set, maybe opt for the classics. Because I live and gig here in Hawaii, humidity sometimes can be an issue so I rely on the fiberglass drums with synthetic heads a lot. Though I will say those Bobby Allende drums in that white sparkle finish look reall hot and probably will look amazing on stage!

    Good luck!

  4. #29

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    ok so I'M THE DUMMY...i totally didn't see your last post for some reason!
    I think you'll like those classics a lot. good choice there Red1. Let me know how those pro bags work out for you. I have the quilted LP conga bags, and wish I had bought the wheel'd bags. Give us the update once you get the drums!

    Good job!

  5. #30

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Hey red1, you won't be sorry you got the wheeled bags! They make it so much easier to roll the congas from one gig to the other...just remember to make sure you load them head down and make sure they're centered on the platform...lookin' forward to seein' the pics and hearin' the sounds, mate!

    Te1985, budget permitting, you can always upgrade down the road...

    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  6. #31

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey red1, you won't be sorry you got the wheeled bags! They make it so much easier to roll the congas from one gig to the other...just remember to make sure you load them head down and make sure they're centered on the platform...lookin' forward to seein' the pics and hearin' the sounds, mate!

    Te1985, budget permitting, you can always upgrade down the road...

    B-bro , please enlighten me on why you say to load them head down .

  7. #32

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Glad to, GF!

    Most congas are narrower at the bottom than at the top (as you know, the shell widens a bit from the head to the "belly", then tapers down to the floor). In my experience, this makes them top-heavy and more likely to fall over when you're putting them into a soft case--and I should have clarified that in my original post! If you use a hard-shell case, of course, you put them in the way the inner shell is shaped. That is, if they're designed to go in head side up, put them in head side up!

    Thanks for clarifying that point, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  8. #33

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Does It Make A Difference In My Percussion Library If I Load My Yamaha "DD50" Upside Down Or Rightside Up?It's
    Easier To Carry Than Congas That Weigh As Much As I Do
    Hahhahahaha(sorry Bb)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

    "BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

    COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

    CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "OUR
    LADY OF DA NEW BEAT CONGREGATION"

    LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO TIE"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ)

  9. #34

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    YEAH, BRO', BUT YOU GOT ROADIES TO DO ALL THE GRUNT WORK FOR YA!!!



    LUBS YA, BRO'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  10. #35

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Had...BB...Key Word Was "Had" Back In Da Day I Had Roadies Then.....I Got Grandkids Now But Da Drums Dont Leave Da House And I Dont Trust Em' To Carry Da E-pad(or It Will Never Work Again!!!!)AND YES I NOW HAVE A ROAD CASE FOR MY KAZOO!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

    "BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

    COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

    CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "OUR
    LADY OF DA NEW BEAT CONGREGATION"

    LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO TIE"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ)

  11. #36

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey red1, you won't be sorry you got the wheeled bags! They make it so much easier to roll the congas from one gig to the other...just remember to make sure you load them head down and make sure they're centered on the platform...lookin' forward to seein' the pics and hearin' the sounds, mate!

    Te1985, budget permitting, you can always upgrade down the road...

    B-Bro,
    You know what's funny, I've been telling myself I'm going to upgrade those bags for a couple years now...but every single time I think about buying new bags, I say to myself: "wait, for that amount of money, I could buy THIS instead!" haha!

  12. #37

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by Te1985 View Post
    B-Bro,
    You know what's funny, I've been telling myself I'm going to upgrade those bags for a couple years now...but every single time I think about buying new bags, I say to myself: "wait, for that amount of money, I could buy THIS instead!" haha!
    been there, done that, brada!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  13. #38

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Ok Great Idea....Have Yer Mom Make Ya Some....Take Her Out To Dinner For Thxs;Take Da Rest Of Da Money Buy Other Stuff....Everybody's Happy!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

    "BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

    COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

    CHARTER MEMBER OF THE "OUR
    LADY OF DA NEW BEAT CONGREGATION"

    LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO TIE"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ)

  14. #39

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Yup! Seen em on the net but not up close, very shiny! TE185 here is a few drums I re skinned, I think it's the same stuff that Volcano congas uses. The Lp originals are still wet.
    L4C

    The picture you have have of the first Conga looks very similar to my LP's that I recently purchased.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

  15. #40

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    I'm about to pick up my new congas, they have finally arrived after two weeks. I will let you know how they sound later!!

  16. #41

    User Info Menu

    Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    I'm about to pick up my new congas, they have finally arrived after two weeks. I will let you know how they sound later!!
    I can tell you're seriously chuffed, mate! (that is, you're really excited!) Congrats, red1! Rock those congas!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

    Charlie

    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

    "There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

    "Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

  17. #42

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    I'm about to pick up my new congas, they have finally arrived after two weeks. I will let you know how they sound later!!
    Red1, please lets see some pictures of those babys!

  18. #43

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

    Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Red1, please lets see some pictures of those babys!
    I'll take some pictures tomorrow. I'll take some pictures of the LP Pro Conga bags as well in case someone is thinking of buying them. I might put in a new thread so it's easier for people to find later.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •