Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bobby Allende Congas

User Info Menu

Default Bobby Allende Congas

Thinking of buying some Pearl Bobby Allende Signature Congas. Will be using them for recording and some gigging, hoping try the LP Giovanni Congas soon as well.

Any opinions about the two models. I have Toca Player Series congas at the moment.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bobby Allende Congas

Welcome to drumchat!!

BongoBro`s your man on this subject....sniff...i can sense his presence soon...

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Hey thanks for the quick response and the welcome. Hopefully he will jump in soon.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bobby Allende Congas

Hey, red1!

Welcome to DrumChat; good to see another skin-slapper in our midst! As you can guess from the member name, I dig playin' hand drums, too...

I haven't seen, much less played, any Pearl congas, so I can't give you an assessment on those; I have played the Giovanni Series at Guitar Center, and I liked the way they played and sounded. IMHO, the wood shells give them a "ballsy" sound that fiberglass just can't match...

Except for one Poncho Sanchez Remo tumba, my congas are all CPs (one pair each of quinto and conga, one in fiberglass, one in wood), and I must admit I lean toward LPs myself...but the Remo sounds awesome, too...

If you get a chance to play them, post what ya think in the "REVIEWS" section.

Again, welcome aboard, red1...good to see another brother conguero in our family!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Told ya he`d be here...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Thanks BongoBro! I've been working hard on my sound with my Toca congas and I feel like I'm ready to move up a level. I was quoted £700 for a set of 3 Pearl Congas and £1300 for three of the Giovanni series.
    Although I'm still learning and wondering whether I should spend that much, I don't want to have to sell another set of congas in a few months as I am now with the Tocas.

I will post a review when I have tried the Giovanni congas.
    Thanks again for the info and the welcome.
    Last edited by red1; 07-08-2008 at 01:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    Told ya he`d be here...
    Yep, and pretty quick too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post
    Yep, and pretty quick too!
    Yep...if it has anything to do with hand drums, I'm on it, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

In my reply to your earlier post I mentioned the price I was quoted for the giovanni congas. Does this sound reasonable to you?http://www.drumchat.com/images/smilies/eusa_think.gif

User Info Menu

Hello Red1,
    Bobby Allende Congas have Remo heads on them and sound good, I have a set of Lp Giovanni's and their cool but I would never get another set of congas with the gold hardware, It's not as durable as chrome or stainless. Pearl Has a new line of congas you might want to consider, their called Folkloric and their the only mass produce congas that have South American thick cow hides and thats a first because all of the rest have Thailand water buffalo skins unless thats what you prefer. On another note I have replaced the heads on a set of drums with American cow hide and the drums cost a third of what my Lp Giovanni's cost but the cheaper drum sound so much better!

User Info Menu

Hey, luv4, were these cowhide heads pre-made or did you have to fashion them from skins yourself? I'm still tryin' to get the head on my CP fiberglass quinto replaced, and I could have bought another whole set of congas in the time it's taken to get a head from LP!

IMHO, LP uses water buffalo skins because they, like the Siam Oak they use in the Giovannis, is available where the drums are built (in Thailand).

I understand Cuban congas are made with mule skins; some conga fanatics claim the sound of a mule skin head is better than any other. I haven't played one with a mule skin head, but here again, this is a case of using what's available. Unless the Cuban trade embargo is lifted, man, I guess we'll never know...

Charlie

User Info Menu

I have played mule skins on older drums, nice warm sound with no ring to it. Not sure if their still available. Take a look online how to reskin, study it and when your ready you will find it's not that hard. Once you do one then you got it. I started on a used cheap drum.

User Info Menu

Bongobro,
    If you still have your CP Flesh whoop take some thin fabric like an old T shirt and practice reskining with that. Put the whoop over the fabric, put the rim over both with the fabric pulled between the flesh whoop and the rim. Mounted on the drum and connect your lugs. Pull the excess out and practice cutting the excess with a sharp blade. Protect the fabric closes to the drum. I use an old gift card. Now it's the same with flat skins but you have to soak the skins. Hope this helps. Another option that I've done was to find a bigger pre mounted head, soaked it and skinned a smaller drum.
    L4C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Hello Red1,
    Bobby Allende Congas have Remo heads on them and sound good, I have a set of Lp Giovanni's and their cool but I would never get another set of congas with the gold hardware, It's not as durable as chrome or stainless. Pearl Has a new line of congas you might want to consider, their called Folkloric and their the only mass produce congas that have South American thick cow hides and thats a first because all of the rest have Thailand water buffalo skins unless thats what you prefer. On another note I have replaced the heads on a set of drums with American cow hide and the drums cost a third of what my Lp Giovanni's cost but the cheaper drum sound so much better!
    Hey luv4, thanks for the info. I'm going try those next week if I can find someone who has them in stock. I might try the Meinl pro series as well if I can.

Thanks everyone for the info.

User Info Menu

Red1,
    I just was wondering if you had made your decision yet, and what did you buy? I have LP drums myself: 3 Matadors (wood w/ LP "hand picked" heads), and a set of LP 35th anniversary drums: conga & tumba (fiberglass w/Remo Nuskyn heads). But I'm not partial to LP...I think they probably are the most played drums but also the most expensive. I've played Toca drums, and recently I had a chance to sample those Poncho Sanchez drums (with Fiberskyn heads) and those drums ROCKED!! I LOVED THEM. But alas...if I buy another set of conga's I'm going to have to get rid of SOMETHING...otherwise the wife will get rid of ME!

Anyway, I was just curious as to what you decided...all of the drums you've mentioned are all quality instruments. ALOHA!

User Info Menu

Hey Tel1985, I just logged on to update the thread when I saw your post. Not quite decided yet, it's been difficult finding a shop with the congas I want to try all in stock.

I had a conga lesson last week with a guy called Robin Jones at Pro Percussion in London last Thursday. We were using the LP Giovanni congas which unfortunately I really liked. I say unfortunately because they are so much more expensive then the Bobby Allende ones, which I have yet to try side by side with the Giovanni's to hear the difference. From memory, the Giovanni's had more body to the sound and a deeper tone. I have another lesson on Thursday and I'm going to get there a bit earlier and try the Giovanni's next to the Meinl Professional Series. Pro Percussion doesn't have the Bobby Allende congas. It was suggested to me that I could get the Meinl ones and replace the skins which would make a big difference.

I am still yet to hear the Pearl Folklorics that luv4 recommended earlier. The nearest shop that has them is 3 hours away. May be able to get down there on Friday.

It's a bit of a mission trying to get the right congas but I want to try and buy a set that I will be happy with for a long time. In the meant time I'm still practicing on my Toca Player Series congas which, after my lesson are sounding a lot better... Ok, still not as nice as the Giovanni's damn it!!

User Info Menu

Red1
    I'm sure any one of the many conguero's out there is going to quickly bash me for saying LP is the most expensive... because surely Isla's or Volcano drums are going to run maybe 2-3 times as expensive! But what I meant was, of the "main" mfr's: Toca, Pearl, Meinl, LP is probably the most expensive.

Here's my humble opinion on the matter: For your upgrade...go with the drums you want MOST and you can afford to buy! I started out with Matadors thinking I would upgrade to LP Classic's when I'm able. When I finally upgraded, I ended up keeping my Matadors because I bought fiberglass 35 Anniversary LP's. And I'm glad I kept the Matadors! I LOVE BOTH sets because of their differences and I feel like my Matadors have finally reached their "singing voices" if that makes sense. Maybe I should have bought the Classic's from the beginning, but I really like that my Matadors have been thru all the pain with me over the years...

Anyway...good luck and let us all know what you end up getting. It's always so exciting when you're finally looking for that new drum. It's like new love...

User Info Menu

Default The search for Congas

Hey Tel1985,
    I knew what you meant about the price of LP's, I've seen some other pretty pricey congas as well.
    It is fun looking for the right set of congas and I will definitely let you know when I have bought some.

I was watching the Anga Mania DVD this morning which really inspired me to put some serious work in to my playing. If only I could afford five congas... actually it's probably best that I nail playing two first.

User Info Menu

Red1,
    I worked for 5 years at an outdoor stage where we had festivals every weekend "latin jazz, jazz, rock and all ethnic music from around the world" We had lunchtime concerts everyday. It's funny, most of the congas that the pros played were Lp classic, Matadors or LP originals. The only one I ever seen on stage with Giovanni's was the man him self " H Giovanni" Some bands would come from so far away that a band equipment rental company was frequently used which set everyone up with top notch stuff and the only congas they used were classic's.
    Just FYI.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info luv4, just had a look on the net and they're about two thirds the price of the Giovanni's.

You mentioned that you replaced the heads on a set of drums that ended up sounded better than your Giovanni's. What model were they?

User Info Menu

Red1,
    Believe it or not it’s the Lp performer’s series. They are just another one of LP’s beginner’s series.. I did it out of curiosity, I have them side by side with my Giovanni’s but I’m torn between replacing the skins on my Giovannis or leaving the hand picks on them. There is a picture of one I reskinned on one of these threads.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Here's another thought that just came to mind Red1: if you're going to gig with your drums a lot...you may want to think about it: Do you want your pretty Giovanni's getting dinged and abused? My Matadors would get dinged up on-stage! I've accidently bumped a drum with my leg during sound check and watched it tumble off a 2' stage riser onto the lower stage! OUCH!!!

anyway....see ya, from the land of Aloha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Red1,
    I worked for 5 years at an outdoor stage where we had festivals every weekend "latin jazz, jazz, rock and all ethnic music from around the world" We had lunchtime concerts everyday. It's funny, most of the congas that the pros played were Lp classic, Matadors or LP originals. The only one I ever seen on stage with Giovanni's was the man him self " H Giovanni" Some bands would come from so far away that a band equipment rental company was frequently used which set everyone up with top notch stuff and the only congas they used were classic's.
    Just FYI.
    L4C
    L4C,
    you're right...the big sound/lighting companies here in Hawaii all provide LP, and come to think of it, I played this big music festival a couple years in a row here...and they had LP Classic's. I think LP's name and pro line-up is what makes them so expensive. But these days...I don't know. Remo's Poncho drums are good too. I haven't played these but Toca's Ltd edition and custom deluxe models look like really nice drums too. So...these days, it's all dependant on what you want to play I guess. Have you seen those CHROME mirror finish drums from Meinl?!!!! Holy CRAP those look CRAZY!!

anyway...back to work.

User Info Menu

Yup! Seen em on the net but not up close, very shiny! TE185 here is a few drums I re skinned, I think it's the same stuff that Volcano congas uses. The Lp originals are still wet.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Te1985 View Post
    Here's another thought that just came to mind Red1: if you're going to gig with your drums a lot...you may want to think about it: Do you want your pretty Giovanni's getting dinged and abused? My Matadors would get dinged up on-stage! I've accidently bumped a drum with my leg during sound check and watched it tumble off a 2' stage riser onto the lower stage! OUCH!!!

anyway....see ya, from the land of Aloha!
    That's a good point Tel1985. I had my second lesson today and tried out some properly tuned Meinl Pro Series next to the Giovanni's. They just sounded different not worse really and the Giovanni's didn't sound like twice the money which is almost what they are. Funny enough my teacher said he actually prefers the Classics. I think I preferred the skin on the Meinls but the I like the rim on the LP a little more.
    Going to play the Bobby Allende's one more time tomorrow and then make a decision. I think at the moment I'm leaning towards either the LP Classic or the Meinl Pro Series.