Thread: Drum Riser

User Info Menu

Default Drum Riser

Planning another jam for early Sept. and thought I shoild build a drum riser, if I can scam some more materials........general construction methods I already know........I would appreciate some input as to an ideal height........my dropped ceiling in the drum corner is just under 95"
    cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Riser

Riff Wrath-
    Wow, That's too coincidental... I am kicking around the exact same thought and need. I was looking at some way of frame concept wrungs out of 1X square tubing. I had this crazy idea, At the split, using recessed casters to move the thing around if it could be folded so to speak. Haven't done any research to see if it would be more feasible to build or if something could be had for the money ya know...
    Thanks for the post and I'll keep my eyes peeled here too.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    Planning another jam for early Sept. and thought I shoild build a drum riser, if I can scam some more materials........general construction methods I already know........I would appreciate some input as to an ideal height........my dropped ceiling in the drum corner is just under 95"
    cheers
    Gerry
    Not sure about 'ideal' height, but I've got a 18" high riser built thusly, with a 3 piece deck on top. Underneath the deck are cleats that fit inside the supports to keep it from sliding around and to help square it up. Supports have slots so pieces can slide into each other. A strip of velcro around the deck edge allows a cloth skirt to be attached to make it a little more fancy looking. When the party's over, just pull the pieces apart and stack 'em up in the corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

nice design, would allow for thinner, less expensive material, thanks for sharing............18 inches you say.......hmmmmn........I was originally thinking regular building methods but that would be waaay to big,heavy and "permanent".....I did "google" a design the other day using a wooden perimeter that has removeable pins through hinges at the corners, and a hinged top....the center was two seperate interlocking "Xs" ...........the more I think about it I am excited about your design........mind if I copy it???....I think I will set up a couple of milk crates and see what 12" height "feels" like
    thanks again, and have a great weekend.
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Feel free to copy as I copied it from someone else. I figure, why re-invent the wheel? The only thing I would like to change on mine is to make the deck 3/4" thick instead of 5/8" 'cause the 5/8" is a little bouncy. But when the material is free, who can complain? Glad you found it useful and good luck with it!!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

For the ideal height, keep two things in mind, not taking into consideration ceiling heights you may run into.

First, you don't want it so high you have to climb up, so maybe one or two standard stair riser height dimensions could work.

Second, if you fall off, how much pain can you withstand?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I do like bruarm's idea ,it will come apart easy and store nicely once you take it apart cause all the pcs are flat . .....very nice concept .

I also agree with what Bish said about ceiling height . The higher you make it the closer the ceiling gets to the set , and getting up there could cause some of us older fellas to pull a muscle , unless you make yourself a little 2 step stair to get on it .

User Info Menu

The air is little thinner the higher you go, too. You might get woozy...
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    The higher you make it the closer the ceiling gets to the set , and getting up there could cause some of us older fellas to pull a muscle
    Buaahahahhaahhaha, that is too funny!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

thanks for the insight(s)...lol..........didn't feel "comfortable with the 12" height.....seemed to much given the ceiling height.....probably end up around 9".............thanks to all

User Info Menu

all of these are very good points and tips, make sure you measure your fully set up kit to make sure you have enough clearance for eveything, and allow some wiggle room. I personally have a 2 ft. high x nearly 15 ft across rizer with 2 steps to get onto it. it holds my sampler guy and 2 monitor speakers as well, its all permanent wood frame and it has carpet and padding on it. i will post pictures next week after i go up there for practice, maybe it can give you a few more ideas.

User Info Menu

hey DD, will watch for your pic's.....haven't even started to start building yet..............been to hot & humid here.........I have sat and "looked" at the project, with a brewski in hand...lol......I think, all things considered, 8X8 will work for me with a "pignose" at the front, coming out from a corner.....monitor at floor level on an adjustable stand.........still pondering optimum height.
    all the best
    gerry

User Info Menu

For a portable riser I think that 12" would be the best height and easiest to transport. My reason for 12 " is because allot of clubs already have a stage and only have 8'ceilings and a riser in excess of 12" puts your head practically against the ceiling and it looks out of proportion.

User Info Menu

whats up guys...so i took a couple of pictures as promised...now i dont know if this will help you very much being as its not removeable, only the step in front is removeable. i hope this gives you some kind of ideas on what you can do.
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 11-10-2011 at 09:21 AM.

User Info Menu

That is a tall riser,it looks like it is about 24" of more, how tall is it?

User Info Menu

yes it is 24" tall, but it is very heavy, made of solid 4x6 wood, not really something you would want to be portable, but the step is 12" high, that makes it perfect for getting onto the rizer, without it though... it really sucks, but it does look good with how high it is, me and sampler guy(mikee) feel like we are on top of the world, and we always have all eyes on us, its very hard to miss!! and we dont have to worry about, out of control mosh pits, or out of control bass/guitar players- and yes we do have mosh pits in our studio, and yes our bass player has long hair, and he cant see where he is going! tall rizers are very "drummer safe".

i think your best bet is the design that was mentioned earlyer in the posts, you need something that you can bolt together, so it makes it easy to assemble and disassemble quickly. use large bolts!!! and try to make it to where you ony use 1 tool to assemble and disassemble.

User Info Menu

I used wooden palets for the bottom and 3/4" plywood on the top. Screw the top down and lay down some carpet. SUPER EASY AND SUPER STURDY. Note: THIS IS PERMINANT.

User Info Menu

2X4's, plywood and milk crates.

User Info Menu

hey.........this thread is still around................never got the time or material to build a riser....yet............my kit is at a bud's for the winter due to my unheated space...........I ended up parking my little camper trailer in the drum spot so I could have a heated "jam space" for practising my Bass Guitar inside my "jam hall"....sure beats heating the whole space.......we've had nothing but minus 20C for most of this winter in southern ontario canada (and much colder in other parts ).....maybe this year as I scammed a bunch of used plywood since last summer...............