Thread: Crash!

User Info Menu

Default Crash!

Well, I finally cracked my B8 crash so I'm in need of an upgrade. I've been doing a little research on both Zildjian and Sabian. First I went looking into A customs and I really don't like the weight behind them. Then Z customs and I really like the 17 inch medium crash. Then I looked at HH HHX AA AAX and I really didnt like the HH's and the AA's were also a little light weight, like the A customs.

So basically, I'm looking for something to give off a loud crash, and have some weight to it, but still be delicate for intro's to songs and such. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Oh...also, I'm kind of a heavy hitter and I play some classic to hard rock. The link in my signature shows some of the songs I play.

Thanks guys, Steve.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crash!

Look at Sabian Paragons. They are very heavy but the crash is not overbearing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    Well, I finally cracked my B8 crash so I'm in need of an upgrade. I've been doing a little research on both Zildjian and Sabian. First I went looking into A customs and I really don't like the weight behind them. Then Z customs and I really like the 17 inch medium crash. Then I looked at HH HHX AA AAX and I really didnt like the HH's and the AA's were also a little light weight, like the A customs.

So basically, I'm looking for something to give off a loud crash, and have some weight to it, but still be delicate for intro's to songs and such. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Oh...also, I'm kind of a heavy hitter and I play some classic to hard rock. The link in my signature shows some of the songs I play.

Thanks guys, Steve.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS LITTLE ROOBER MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) HAVE You CHECKED Out BOSPHORUS or ISTANBUL OR TRX or DREAM * & SABIAN you know their is ALOt of VERY HOT CYMBAL -COMPANYS out their CHECK them all Out ,I just Got 6 NEW ONES
    From all the COMPANYS I just MENTIONED ** AND THEY Are All VERY ROJO CALIENTE (RED-HOT ) Mi amigo ** GRACIAS and what ever works for the
    creative artistic Open Minded ARTIST is All Great within their Own Unique
    (STYLE) (ARTISTRY) within their Journeys **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

A customs are not intended for heavy hitters so I am told. I have really laid in to mine on occasion and they took it well. I can't imagine hitting them hard enough to break them but I hear that happens when hit hard enough, of course I use 7a sticks as opposed to 2b sticks though. The Z series Zildjians were designed specifically for Heavy rock or metal in all its forms. The few times I have messed around hitting them in stores my impression was that you really had to lay in to them all of the time to get a decent crash sound. They were pretty heavy duty though. pretty thick!

User Info Menu

not an expensive cymbal, but the paiste pst5 18" rock crash has a good sizzle, the bell is alright, but its a crash, and it can be loud or good for intros.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

i dont want to come off wrong but, i wouldnt invest in high dollar pies until you are no longer breaking cheaper ones. it takes alot of abuse to break a thick b8 cymbal. for a familiar rock/hard rock sound, zildjian AVEDIS med/med thin crashes and paiste 2002 are the way IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i dont want to come off wrong but, i wouldnt invest in high dollar pies until you are no longer breaking cheaper ones. it takes alot of abuse to break a thick b8 cymbal. for a familiar rock/hard rock sound, zildjian AVEDIS med/med thin crashes and paiste 2002 are the way IMO.
    I've had that cymbal for over 3 years, I know a short time, but the early years of the 3 were when I was just learning and figuring out my technique. So, now I've got the technique down, and I was about to upgrade anyway, but then it cracked on me.

Bish - Those paragons look promising. I like the look, and I'll check them out next time I'm in the "toy store".

Sticks - I saw your thread about the new cymbals a while back. I'll check those out too.

BacktoDrum - I don't play metal or anything, but when I get really into a song, I get a little rough with the cymbals...and heads for that matter. I use 5A's. The Z custom is still in the running.

BegTimm - I'll check that cymbal out as well.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

User Info Menu

i have a 17" sabian AAX stage crash. i like it a lot.

User Info Menu

i wasnt big on the paragon crashes and hats but i have the 6" splash, 19" china, and 22" ride and they are pretty killer. the ride is simply the perfect "live rock" ride. especially if unmic'd and you need cut. it also mixes really well with the zildjians.

User Info Menu

Try Avedis Zildjian and Paiste 2002 Med/ thin crash....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX