Thread: Help with beginner set

User Info Menu

Default Help with beginner set

Hello,

I have been looking for a beginner set for my 10 yr old son. Most of the used stuff I see is pretty expensive for just the drums and many times don't have cymbals. I have noticed this set at what seems to be a pretty decent price, and has good reviews for a beginner set. I see the rototoms and chimes are separate, but still looks to be fairly decent quality with Zildjian cymbals included.

What do you guys think?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help with beginner set

I usually recommend spending a little more and getting the Gretsch Catalina Clubs for a first kit, but. . . .

I have looked and tapped on these SP Drums at Guitard Center. For a beginner set, they are quite impressive. The shells look like pretty decent wood, and the heads are above average for a beginner kit.

If you get these for your 10yr old, he will probably be happy with them long enough until he gets a job in a few years and can replace them himself if he sticks with it. He will probably trade out those Zildjian ZBT's first, but they are good to start on.
    Last edited by =^-..-^=; 07-09-2008 at 10:55 PM.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I'd sure look into maybe a junior set to begin with. Not to cast a dark cloud... If it were that he decided the drums just aren't of interest anymore, You're not out too much and it wouldn't create any pressure..? You could find a junior set that would be more than adequate for a 10 yr old to start off on.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

I think that set would be great for a 10 year old. there is nothing wrong with those for him. I bought a kit similar to that for my boy who is 11 years old and he loves it and I practise on it as well, saves my good kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    I'd sure look into maybe a junior set to begin with. Not to cast a dark cloud... If it were that he decided the drums just aren't of interest anymore, You're not out too much and it wouldn't create any pressure..? You could find a junior set that would be more than adequate for a 10 yr old to start off on.
    10 year old kids can grow pretty fast, I don't think a junior kit would be a good idea.

Have you looked at second hand pearl/tama/mapex etc kits? You generally can't go too wrong with any of the big brands if they have been well looked after... If your son loses interest, you could sell it again with minimum loss.

My dad bought me a used Pearl export almost 14 years ago when I was 12, and I still cart it around with me to auditions and play it in a church band every sunday.

User Info Menu

Yeph....
    Agreed with holycow...
    My parents never bought me a junior kit although I was 7 years old when my PRINCE kit came....

I saw used TAMA SWINGSTAR sold at 350$ (including hardware + Planet Z cymbals) here....
    Sure you can grab something like this...it worth.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

pearl export is great, and its an entry leval set, so it shouldd be not to expensive

User Info Menu

Maxpex (my chosen brand) do several entry level kits which are good quality and come with a cymbal pack option and in some cases an extra tom.

You can get a 5 piece Q series with throne for about $439. no cymbals for that price but you can get a set of entry level set of Zildjian's for $99 from the same place.

hope this helps mate - a bit more expensive that the kit you have seen but something that will last a good few years!
    Last edited by drummer; 07-10-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Commercial Links
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

That set looks like a pretty decent set for a beginner, and as far as entry level cymbals go the ZBTs and pretty decent. That's a pretty good price for a complete set with decent entry level cymbals. This set would last him well into his teen age years, then he'll want to upgrade when he knows more about what he wants in a set. I would go for it personally, unless you could find a used name brand set for the same money.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

it doesn't look bad. The cymbals are a good set. i wouldn't be to picky for a beginner set.

User Info Menu

That ad has lots of appeal with the percussion gear added into the picture.

All the gear pictured would be a nice setup for most of us.

As the kit goes, you can hardly go wrong.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

OK, what if I throw these 3 choices into the mix?? :

Mapex Q Series

Pacific PDP Z5

Ludwig Accent LC125

User Info Menu

All the kits you are considering so far are of a similar quality PH. The SoundPercusion kit says it gives you all the hardware, but then it doesn't mention the bass drum pedal, and the throne. To compare aples to apples, you have to make sure what's included with each package. Basically, these are all going to be the stencil kits - made in China, with the different manufacturers' name put on them. The main difference will be what each retailer is throwing in (hardware, cymbals, and throne) to make it an attractive starter set.

BTW, I have seen a lot of these type sets on Craigslist, in the Nashville area, for around $250-$300.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    All the kits you are considering so far are of a similar quality PH. The SoundPercusion kit says it gives you all the hardware, but then it doesn't mention the bass drum pedal, and the throne. To compare aples to apples, you have to make sure what's included with each package. Basically, these are all going to be the stencil kits - made in China, with the different manufacturers' name put on them. The main difference will be what each retailer is throwing in (hardware, cymbals, and throne) to make it an attractive starter set.

BTW, I have seen a lot of these type sets on Craigslist, in the Nashville area, for around $250-$300.
    you do want to be careful, and make sure you get a throne and pedal. i would say try and find a normal set (not necesarily a brand name) for a cheaper price, get a $130 pack of cymbals(hi-hat, crash, ride) and a new bass pedal. the hardware that comes with these standard sets last a good year atleast, so you could probably end up getting a good set for less than the one your looking at. my set isnt a major brand, but those generics sound good when you get some good heads, i even still use the straight cymbal stand for my ride to date, almost 3 years old i believe

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

PH...$500 is not a lot of money for a drum kit that also includes cymbals. Zildjian ZBT's are low end cymbals and fit the drums well. For the purposes you state, this would be a nice kit for your son to learn how to play on. In all situations, there are three things than can happen: 1. We get better. 2. We get worse, 3. We stay the same. So, if your son sticks with the drums and develops into a good player, he'll know more about what he will need in equipment and will work towards getting that. I would not recommend that you provide anything more than this as a starter set. We appreciate what we have to pay for ourselves. If your son decides not to stick with the drums, you didn't lose a huge investment. If he remains neutral, then you both have a "Toy" you can knock around with.

User Info Menu

what brand of a set is it? thats the biggy
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

The Ad says "Sound Percussion."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

This is the price range I've seen for used drum kits in my area although the only cymbals provided are ride and hihat. He's probably like other kids who would like to bang more than one cymbal.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ParrotHead;95882]Hello,

I have been looking for a beginner set for my 10 yr old son. Most of the used stuff I see is pretty expensive for just the drums and many times don't have cymbals. I have noticed this set at what seems to be a pretty decent price, and has good reviews for a beginner set. I see the rototoms and chimes are separate, but still looks to be fairly decent quality with Zildjian cymbals included.

What do you guys think?

That doesn't seem like a bad deal.

However, take a look at Pearls Forum series drums, at this link.
    http://www.pearldrum.com/forum-fz.asp

Pearl has incredibley well made drums for any price, but you should be able to pick one of these kits up for around $500 or less. I am really impressed with the quality of these drums. I play Gretsch myself but I can't see how Pearl can sell a quality kit like the Forum series for the price. Another way to look at it is if things don't work out you problably would have no trouble selling them. IMO you would not go wrong buying these Pearl drums. Pearl also makes very high quality hardware..............
    Gary