Thread: Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass Pedal

I use to have two bass drums when I was younger. Later I got a new set with a single bass. Purchased a double bass pedal and have no idea how to anchor the floating left pedal. I built a drum room, purchased the sound proofing materal, drum mics, mixer. Right now there is just concrete on the floor so there is defnite slippage immediately. I have to purchase some more rubber mats for the floor (Since my old set is under my weight apparatus). But I am looking for a more secure method of anchoring the pedal. Any ideas or products out there?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Hi Matt and welcome to the group! Does your slave pedal have a footplate? That's usually the starting place. From there, many drummers use heavy duty velcro, on the bottom of the footplate. Of course it has to be on carpet to be effective.

User Info Menu

My pedals do not have solid bases if that is what you are referring to. IS that something you can buy seperate or it needs to be bought like that?

User Info Menu

Yea, you used to be able to buy the bases separate. Not sure if you still can. The pedal manufacturer probably offers it as an add on.

User Info Menu

I alway set my kits up on a piece of carpet I call my "Drum Rug" I find that if you do have the foot plates or bases on your double pedal just using the spikes on the plate are enough to hold the pedal in place whe it's on the rug. The Drum rug is also helpfull with set ups because I mark on the rug where each leg stand sits when the kit in set up and in place .

Since your pedal does not have the foot plates or bases, I can suggest two things, buy some if they are available and you have the cash, or you can spend a few bucks on some 2x3's and plywood and build a platform to set your kit on. Then you can screw a small piece of wood in front of your slave pedal to keep it from creeping forward. This platform can also be used as a drum riser when you play out. I used to use empty milk crates under mine when I played out to get me up in the air a bit so I could be seen better. I use to go 4 crates high, but 1 high is just fine. Also empty 5 gallon buckets work well and do not take up much room in the equipment truck because they fit inside each other for transport.