Thread: Cymbal Trouble.

User Info Menu

Question Cymbal Trouble.

Hi everyone,
    Whenever I clean my cymbals with the Zildjian Cymbal Polish it get really shiny and everything but after a few days it starts rusting/oxidizing. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

ThePloughman Guest

Default Re: Cymbal Trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Whenever I clean my cymbals with the Zildjian Cymbal Polish it get really shiny and everything but after a few days it starts rusting/oxidizing. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
    What cymbals?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    What cymbals?
    Zildjian ZBTs.

User Info Menu

Zildjian ZBTs.
    i use Barkeeper's Friend on mine. it works, but it takes a lot of elbow grease and it will take the logo's off the cymbal.

i am considering Groove Juice or something stronger, because mine do not stay nice looking very long either.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

I heard you can use a cleaner, then use a polish over it and the shine will last longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    I heard you can use a cleaner, then use a polish over it and the shine will last longer.
    yea, i plan on cleaning really good w/ groove juice or something then putting some Z polish on it...last time i cleaned them, i was outta polish. actually i still. the local music store is awful...they have hardly anything for drummers. the GC is about an hour-and-a half drive so i don't get there too often. usually i buy accessories online, actually.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

Don't use Groove Juice on the lower end cymbals. The bottle says it's a no no.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Don't use Groove Juice on the lower end cymbals. The bottle says it's a no no.
    Yeah, I know. I was going to get a bottle of that stuff but luckily I asked you guys first and someone told me it damages the cymbals.
    Last edited by Nik276; 07-11-2008 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

How bout Brasso ??
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I don't htik Brasso is for sheet bronze either!

User Info Menu

I use Brasso on my AAX's and my A custom ride. The guy at the drum shop said NEVER use Brasso. I bought some Sabian cleaner and used it but it seems to leave residue on it no matter how hard you rub. Also it will not take off stick marks left by the nylons whereas Brasso does.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Just let em get all grungy. I will never polish my ZBT's. When I get some higher end cymbals, I may consider the polish, but until then...........

User Info Menu

what have u been using nik?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    what have u been using nik?
    I've been using Zildjian Cymbal polish on my ZBTs.

User Info Menu

nevermind u said that at the beggining sorry, thats wierd, im pretty sure thats the same stuff i use on my ZBTs but they do fine
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Clean them with what you have been cleaning them with to make them shiny and then put a coat of automotive carnuba wax after the Polish and that will help them keep from re-tarnishing so quickly. If you live in a humid environment or have swamp cooling in your home it will promote the problem you are trying to solve and you will have to re-polish more often.

User Info Menu

another thing, if u clean them with the cymbol cleaner, make sure that u wipe it all off after ur done, that might be the problem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Clean them with what you have been cleaning them with to make them shiny and then put a coat of automotive carnuba wax after the Polish and that will help them keep from re-tarnishing so quickly. If you live in a humid environment or have swamp cooling in your home it will promote the problem you are trying to solve and you will have to re-polish more often.
    Automotive wax, that works? Does any automotive wax work?

User Info Menu

Since when do people "clean" cymbals?
    DW Drums, Zildjian/Meinl cymbals, Regal Tip sticks

My Father: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Mallaber

User Info Menu

Probably as long as it is a quality type.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Probably as long as it is a quality type.
    Yes, It does. That's what I meant by "polish". Sorry I wasn't clear...at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoadieJr78 View Post
    Since when do people "clean" cymbals?
    you've never cleaned ur cymbals?

User Info Menu

I still have my ZBT's and i have never polished them once. I don't think it's that big of a deal until you have higher end cymbals. I think most polishes are made for higher end cymbals too. But like I said i have never polished mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cadesonT14 View Post
    I still have my ZBT's and i have never polished them once. I don't think it's that big of a deal until you have higher end cymbals. I think most polishes are made for higher end cymbals too. But like I said i have never polished mine.
    that is a good point, i just realize that ive never cleaned my Zbts either, just my A Customs, silly me!

User Info Menu

i dont think i'll ever clean my cymbals