Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Heads

User Info Menu

Default Tom Heads

OK so i have a pearl export EXR and it suits me... but the protone heads gotta fly. i hate the overtone/reso/ringing of them and i tried tuning them various times. i recently just got moon gels hoping they work when i get them, but if all comes to worse i would like to get new ones. i like a good thump with little reso/ringing as possible.. i was looking at EVANS Genera G2 Clear (Batter Side)/EVANS Genera G1 Clear (Bottom Side) any good?? any suggestions? comments would be nice thanks!
    Last edited by doubletapaddiwackbingbang; 07-11-2008 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Heads

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapaddiwackbingbang View Post
    OK so i have a pearl export ELX and it suits me... but the protone heads gotta fly. i hate the overtone/reso/ringing of them and i tried tuning them various times. i recently just got moon gels hoping they work when i get them, but if all comes to worse i would like to get new ones. i like a good thump with little reso/ringing as possible.. i was looking at EVANS Genera G2 Clear (Batter Side)/EVANS Genera G1 Clear (Bottom Side) any good?? any suggestions? comments would be nice thanks!
    i use Remo. coated Pinstripes for the batter, clear Ambassadors for reso. w/ these you need no, or very little, muffling when tuned properly.

also, i'd look into a coated Powersonic head for he bass batter. i love this head. all the muffling is external and sounds great.

if you want to go Evans, i know they too offer excellent heads, i just don't have experience with them myself.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

DTPWBB, welcome to Drum Chat!

You made the statement that you like a good thump, so I was wondering if the G2's are what you're looking for. The G2's will still give you a more open sound, although less that the G1's. On the other hand, if you're really looking for the "thump," I wonder if you've considered the EC1 or the EC2. These heads will control the overtones a bit more, much like the Remo Pinstripes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

my friend has coated g2's, to me they sound kinda pingy
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

k i checked out the EC1s and i seem to like them... any experiences with Aquarian Super Kick 2's??? they seem to be what im looking for too.
    Last edited by doubletapaddiwackbingbang; 07-11-2008 at 08:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Aquarian performance II are two play both 10 mil heads that are glued together about an inch around the outer rim of the head. They are pretty thick and don't allow any ring what so ever. They are way too dead for my taste but they may be just what you are looking for. they super kick II are two ply 10mil head with a muffling ring. On smaller toms you would be better off with cardboard in my opinion, they would completely choke the drum.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 07-11-2008 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

ok thanks for the info. i like the performance II's and the Evans EC1's... its probably between those two now.. still not quite sure

User Info Menu

doubletapaddiwackbingbang, welcome to Drumchat! Yeah, those protones are junk. That was the first modification/upgrade I made. I use the Remo Pinstripes. I love them. I do have RemO's mufflers on them, as well. I stayed with the stock kick head. It sounds pretty good. I have the kevlar patches on it, and a pillow inside. It gives a good thump. The resonant heads are stock. Perhaps, I will upgrade them soon. I plan on more cymbals next.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luddy71 View Post
    i use Remo. coated Pinstripes for the batter, clear Ambassadors for reso. w/ these you need no, or very little, muffling when tuned properly.

also, i'd look into a coated Powersonic head for he bass batter. i love this head. all the muffling is external and sounds great.

if you want to go Evans, i know they too offer excellent heads, i just don't have experience with them myself.
    i agree with luddy, i wud go with remos
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

the best heads for anything top and bottom is evans ... go to any music store and they will automaticly give you evans ... there the best heads ever !

they sound so amazing even on ****ty drums like old drums that have been beat up .. it still sounds amazing !

and for the bass drum they have amazing sounding heads !

LOOK INTO EVANS !! ! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HulkDrummer View Post
    the best heads for anything top and bottom is evans ... go to any music store and they will automaticly give you evans ... there the best heads ever !

they sound so amazing even on ****ty drums like old drums that have been beat up .. it still sounds amazing !

and for the bass drum they have amazing sounding heads !

LOOK INTO EVANS !! ! !
    Welcome to DrumChat, Hulk. Let me be the first to kick you in the shins...

Just kidding but I'm going to disagree with you on this from MY own personal experience. My comparison is between Evans clear G2's and Remo Emperors.

The Remo's blow away the Evans for top quality sound.

From there I even like the Remo Pinstripes better yet. But on certain Maple kits the Coated Ambassadors are like fail safe. I HIGHLY recommend Clear pinstripes or coated ambassadors. JMHO of course but it is backed with testing and factual data. It also is a personal opinion so you can see if it holds any value to you.

As far as bass drums go. No matter what heads start on the bass drum, when I put on an Aquarian SuperKick II and ported Reso, any bass drum lights up and is instantly mikable and ready for anything. Again, JMHO but based on experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cheapest would be to use those aquarian studio rings or you can spend more on new quality heads from Remo, Evans, Aquarian, etc. Currently I am using remo pinstripe on the batter side and retained the generic head on the reso side. I am satisfied with the tone I got from remo and aquarian ring add on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doubletapaddiwackbingbang View Post
    k i checked out the EC1s and i seem to like them... any experiences with Aquarian Super Kick 2's??? they seem to be what im looking for too.
    I have the Superkick and love it. EC2 clear on the toms and Genera Dry for the snare.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

ok guys looks like im going with the remo pinstripes i found a good deal. 3 toms, 1 snare batter heads. thanks for the info! hopefully its what im looking for

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Welcome to DrumChat, Hulk. Let me be the first to kick you in the shins...

Just kidding but I'm going to disagree with you on this from MY own personal experience. My comparison is between Evans clear G2's and Remo Emperors.

The Remo's blow away the Evans for top quality sound.

From there I even like the Remo Pinstripes better yet. But on certain Maple kits the Coated Ambassadors are like fail safe. I HIGHLY recommend Clear pinstripes or coated ambassadors. JMHO of course but it is backed with testing and factual data. It also is a personal opinion so you can see if it holds any value to you.

As far as bass drums go. No matter what heads start on the bass drum, when I put on an Aquarian SuperKick II and ported Reso, any bass drum lights up and is instantly mikable and ready for anything. Again, JMHO but based on experience.

Totally agree with u bish! remos are much better to my opinion
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

or u can get the coated pinstripes

User Info Menu

does Remo's coated pinstripes and clear pinstripes have a significant difference??

User Info Menu

Coated heads seem to have warmer sound and the clear heads seem to have more attack, I use clear emperors myself. The pinstripes use a thicker mylar and a two ply, and a coated strip to help with unwanted ring. I have never seen a coated pinstripe so I don't know if they still have a pinstripe or not.

User Info Menu

oh ok thanks

User Info Menu

just on case anyone was wondering-
    G2=Emperor
    G1=Ambassador
    EC2=Pinestripe

User Info Menu

they do still have a pinstripe im pretty sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I have never seen a coated pinstripe so I don't know if they still have a pinstripe or not.
    Why yes they do. I just happen to have one.

I haven't put it on anything yet. It's a 14" so I only have a few possibilities anyway.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I use coated G2's. I hear a lot of you saying that they are pingy but you just have to tune them right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Why yes they do. I just happen to have one.

I haven't put it on anything yet. It's a 14" so I only have a few possibilities anyway.
    Thank you very much Bish now I know!

User Info Menu

and bish, if u put that on a tom can u let me know how it sounds. Because i might be gettin some for my set