Thread: pst5 Cymbal pack

User Info Menu

Default pst5 Cymbal pack

Includes 14 in. medium hats, 16 in. medium crash, and 20 in. medium ride.

i managed to get these for $167 on ebay the other day(regular 300 at the store) just waiting for them to arrive, anyone have these ?

what size extra pst5 crash should i buy?

let me know your opinions thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: pst5 Cymbal pack

Welcome to Drum Chat ColdToiletSeat (I'll use CTS from now on, but I had to say it just once)! I'm been a Zildjian guy, so I can't give much advice on the Paistes, but I will say congrats on the new cymbals. We do have others around here that have the PST5's so hang in there and you'll get your answers soon.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome aboard. sounds like a good deal, although i too am a Z man, don't know much about this line...

if you have a 16", a typical add would be an 18". but i'd suggest going and looking at/playing some side by side of the 16" and see what catches your ear.

Ludwig Classic Maple Drums (22" x 14", 13" x 9", 16" x 16", 14" x 5")

Zildjian A Armand Cymbals (14" hats, 20" ride, 16" thin crash, 16" medium-thin crash, 10" splash)

Ludwig, Zildjian, Remo, Promark.

User Info Menu

im a paiste guy, but i never used the pst series any of the numbers, i jumped in at the 2002s and sigs, i know the pst5 are like the top of the bottom lines so there the cream of the crap, there not bad if they do what you need them to, personally i would say pick up a higher end second crash, in the cymbal line you want to upgrade to eventually so you don't have to buy another one later. oh but on size for #2 i find an 18 is far enough apart to make a decent range.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Check out this drummer. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=OL8nonY4QI8 > He uses the PST 5s and they sound awesome. This guy is an awesome drummer. I watch his videos almost everyday to get new ideas.

User Info Menu

Hello CTS...
    Nice to meet you....I just bought PST-5 8" splash yesterday...
    Sounds nice enough with the price...

But still....I recommend Zildjian ZBT....It came with almost similar price....And better quality I think....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

the 18" rock crash might be your best bet

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

If you aren't a hard hitter go with a medium thin 16" or 14". Just the thickness and cymbal will be very different than what you have now. Zildjian A Customs look and sound fantastic.

I might be wrong or too generally speaking but the smaller cymbals will "splash" more without a lot of after tones. Great for accents.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have that PST5 cymbal pack - use them with my practice kit, and they're definitely decent cymbals. Not Sigs by any means, but I think you'll like em. I know I do. I also have Alphas and Sigs, and I picked the PST5 over the lower level Zildjians and Sabians cuz I like their sound better. But then again I'm a Paiste guy anyhow.

I'd try the 8" if you need a splash. It's a nice middle ground kind of cymbal.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have not heard the PST5 series but I have heard and played the PST3 series. I bought them because I was hosting a open mic jam night and did not want to have people beating up my vintage Zildjians. i have to admit I was really impressed with the sound for the price. If these are higher up in the line then I am sure they sound really good.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Don't know much about piestes either, but I will welcome you to the forum.

User Info Menu

i love PST 5 hihats. and if you have a 16" crash, you should get an 18" crash

User Info Menu

I bought that pack, all cymbals separately on eBay for only $30 each!!! If you know what you're doing on eBay you can get some great deals! Anyway, they are really nice cymbals for the price anyways (there's always something better) I would recommend the 18", I have it as well, or Sabian XS20s go really good with these...

Nik276 that video gave me inspiration, thanks for sharing it!

User Info Menu

LOL, did you get them from a guy named netwrkr?

sold my set on ebay separately and they went really cheap. hope whoever bought them is playing and enjoying them.
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 07-19-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

No it was someone else...sorry. But I'll def put you on my favorite sellers list! lol

User Info Menu

theres also Xs20 and ZHT

User Info Menu

if you get another crash go with a pro leval one, such as A customs.

User Info Menu

I have 'em and for the price they are relatively good. IMO if one is starting and not sure to pursue drumming then entry level cymbals are good choice. OTOH if you are serious and in for the long haul you will quickly outgrow these cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    theres also Xs20 and ZHT
    drive clear around the clangity -clangity- clang XS20 !wow!... can you say bag those cymbals!?

User Info Menu

Hey,

Sounds like a good deal to me. Anyway, I own from the PST5 series the 21" groove ride, the 10" splash and the 16" medium crash. I am very pleased with the price/quality combination. They can't touch the Avedis or K's, but they are definately the high end on the lower price cymbals. I'll bet you'll like them.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

as i said in another post, don't buy the cheaper cymbals from the big companies. rather look into istanbul mehmet(there's also agop but they're two different companies). istanbul makes some awesome cymbals which sound much better for almost the same price. also if you want something cheaper(i don't know what your price range is) look into the wuhan traditional crashes also known as western style. the crashes are pretty cheap and sound much better than the zbt's and b8's etc. they don't have that gongy, crap sound but do have some trashiness to them. i play one along with a paiste 2oo2 crash and an istanbul radiant crash and it's only a little bit less good sounding - quality wise. my 2c.