Thread: Sound Proofing?

User Info Menu

Default Sound Proofing?

I was thinking about using egg cartons. Is a good sound proofer or not?

Also rubber mats/rugs?

Or should I gp with the really expenisve stuff?

Thanks-ZG
    Last edited by ZeroGravity; 07-10-2008 at 09:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sound Proofing?

what are u trying to sound proof
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

My drumkit.

User Info Menu

I would not recommend putting egg cartons on your drums. Messes up the finish and they no longer fit into cases.

Now if you want to outfit your drum room with egg cartons...allow me.....

I have run out of egg cartons. I have saved them for almost 10 years. This room is approximately 14 by 14.

Better start saving those egg cartons.

One thing I will say. It really added a rich tone to the room now. You can tell just when talking it sounds really nice. And no slap back on clapping.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Im diggin the curtains , my grandma had the matching red / white table cloth in her kitchen . and dude , thats alot of egg salad to get them cartons , glad I dont live next door .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would not recommend putting egg cartons on your drums. Messes up the finish and they no longer fit into cases.

Now if you want to outfit your drum room with egg cartons...allow me.....

I have run out of egg cartons. I have saved them for almost 10 years. This room is approximately 14 by 14.

Better start saving those egg cartons.

One thing I will say. It really added a rich tone to the room now. You can tell just when talking it sounds really nice. And no slap back on clapping.
    WOW, does that really sound proof the room?

User Info Menu

I built 2x4 wals with fiberglas insulation in between the studs and have foam panels in between the stud wall and block wall in the basement.

I put plywood on the stud walls and I am planning on getting padding and carpet to cover the plywood . My room is 22 x 16 .

User Info Menu

why do u need ur drum sound proofed?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

If you feel the need to sound proof your drums, then I would suspect they are pretty this shelled, cheap drums...way to loud!! You change that by using quality drums heads, like Remo Pinstripes. I use the coated ones on my kit. Then, pick up some felt strips at a fabric store and you can cut/measure to length what you'll need for each drum. The felt is very cheap and you'll get more than you need for a few bucks. Start with this and then you can try some other things as you become more familiar with proper tuning.

User Info Menu

I'm attempting the low tech high maintenance "sound absorption" approach for a number of reasons. I practice in this room and with a small PA and drums going it gets rather loud. I'm trying to be respectful of the rest of the family who are upstairs trying to live their daily habits without having to shout over my noise making.

I'm trying to contain more than just drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks guy for the help and advice.