Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pearl Drums. Made in Japan?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Well, I just gave you three examples off the top of my head. YOu can also go to DW's web site for info, or just wait 'til the Poobah of DW (Big) comes in here and goes off.

BTW- I think DW are a bit over the top for the average drummer. I can tell you from experience that bringing them to a gig is fun, but at the same time stressfull. Like going to the grocery store in a Rolls Royce.
    ok...timber maching...overrated overpriced gimmick. grain matching....also available from pearl. smaller threads for better tuning?....not really significant.
    bring on BTG

User Info Menu

Hehe. No, seriously, I like Yamaha. I think you get more bang for your buck with the foreign made stuff. I also agree that a properly tuned Yamaha Masters sounds just as good as a DW. I think the DW is head and shoulders better if you're buying a kit as an investment. All else being equel, it will hold it's value much better. I mean, Timex makes some really nice watches, but don't try to tell me they're as nice as a Rolex just because they're every bit as accurate.

User Info Menu

yes dw does have great resale value. i would kill to own a timeless timbre kit. i also like yamaha alot, would be cool if they mde custom drums too. they have some great stock finishes.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 01-03-2007 at 05:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Idk I like DW and Pearl.I would say they both are Equal...I'm Personaly a big Ludwig,And SJC fan so I would say that DW and Pearl are Equal in my Opinion...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SabianDrummerNC
    Idk I like DW and Pearl.I would say they both are Equal...I'm Personaly a big Ludwig,And SJC fan so I would say that DW and Pearl are Equal in my Opinion...
    i can only say equal when it comes to the masterworks line. as much as i love the reference kit, it just does not offer enuff options as of now. i would like to see the refs come with all the options of thier all maple or birch masters line.

User Info Menu

OK, time for me to spew, lol....first and foremost, timbre-matching. ALL DW kits are INSTRUMENTS, not pots and pans....no other drum manufacturer in the world ensures the intervolic relationship between the drums themselves, and takes into consideration each drum's part in the whole equation...secondly, the bearing edges on DW drums are checked on a precision-ground surface plate, and held to within .003 inch (that's three thousandths of an inch) of flatness and square with the body of the shell, and as we all know, sh*tty bearing edges mean sh*tty sounding drums (not saying Pearls are sh*tty, just sayin'...), and their Suspension Tom Mount system holds the drum by the lugs, not the tension rods, so changing heads is a breeze....also, if you want your toms mounted on your kick drum, DW has a mounting bracket that connects to the kick drum with four small (I think they're 3/16-inch) holes, which means there is no FOUR INCH diameter hole in the top of your kick drum to accomodate mounting hardware......thirdly, the hardware is unmatched in the industry....every single adjustment on the entire kit has a memory lock......on the cymbal tilters, there is a separate adjustment for the camber of the cymbal UNDERNEATH the cymbal itself, so your wing nuts are always tight.....their 9000 series hardware is absolutely monstrous, with infinite possibilities...I have a 14" tom, a 17" crash, a 20" china, and a remote hi-hat all mounted on ONE tripod....and a 10" tom, a 12" tom, a 16" crash, and a 10" splash mounted on another tripod.....I believe Terry Bozzio (who plays DWs, by the way) said he has 22 cymbals on one tripod on his kit...yes, I said twenty-two. And he doesn't have "special stuff"....the same DW drums and hardware he plays, ANYONE can buy.....the clamp on the kick pedal, where it mounts to the kick drum, the mechanism where the wing nut is, is offset at a 45-degree angle so it is easier to reach.....John Good, the Vice President of DW, spent many, many years on the road with bands as a drum tech, and he comes up with most of the ideas on hardware improvement.....oh, and last time i checked (which was within the last 2 months) there is a 16 month wait for a new custom-built DW kit. I used to be a Pearl man myself....I had 10 grand in my pocket for a new kit, and i was literally a week away from ordering a Pearl Master Series kit when a friend of mine suggested that I check out DW, that I might like their stuff....I found a DW dvd about the history of the company, and a little showcase of their products and their manufacturing techniques, and I was sold on the spot.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 01-03-2007 at 08:10 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    ok...timber maching...overrated overpriced gimmick.

That's like saying a guitar that's in tune is a gimmick, puhleeeeze.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 01-03-2007 at 08:40 PM.

User Info Menu

...and it's not "timber" matching, it's "timbre" (TAM-ber)...meaning, each drum has a specific note that it naturally wants to resonate at, and each successive tom is a perfect third chromatically down the scale......no fussing with tuning...tune that specific drum to that specific note, and you're all set.....for instance, my 12" tom is a perfect third chromatically down the scale from my 10" tom, and so forth, so my 10" tom and my 16" tom are the same fundamental note, an octave apart. I KNOW Pearl doesnt do THAT. (RD...you're the guitar player here, help me out with this, lol)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

And let me see Pearl do THIS.....[IMG]

That's hand-selected African Bubinga exotic wood finish over maple shells with 24 karat gold hardware....beautiful.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 01-03-2007 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Or this...

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

Cocobolo Vertical Grain Exotic over maple shells (but I'm not fond of the black hardware....they should have put gold on this one, too)
    Last edited by BigTallG; 01-03-2007 at 08:42 PM.

User Info Menu

And look, they even make kits for our drumming sisters!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Seriously, though, all in good fun.........I am in no way trashing Pearl Masters Series drums....they are beautiful kits. I just believe that DW takes that extra step in every aspect of drumming, and for my money, that's all there is.

User Info Menu

hey im new here.im coming over from the cymbalholics forum.
    ive been playing pearl a long time,export,masters,masterworks,etc.bang for the buck you cant beat them!i have a gretsch usa custom kit made in the united states & the craftsman ship dulls in comparison.

User Info Menu

Finally Big got in on this. I have been waiting for him to join in on this. Big is definately the DW expert on this site and I enjoy listening to his viewpoints. I had always been a Pearl man myself. If I had the money Big has definately convinced me to get a DW set. I really like the Blackjack Exotic Veneer they have because it ties in both my hobbies together. Actually poker his like a part time job which is kind of becoming my drum fund. So maybe I will be able to get a DW set here sometime soon.
    Last edited by PokerDrummer; 01-04-2007 at 09:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    ...ensures the intervolic relationship...
    Oh, man. I'm simply am not worthy. I'm so going to use that the next time I'm arguing about anything.

As to helping you out, Dude, when you have 'em down with you knee on the back of their neck, beating the very life out of them, you don't need my help. What you need is someone with a mop!
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 01-04-2007 at 08:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Also, I think much or all of the "DW's aren't any better than Pearl" argument comes from the sour grape crowd (i.e. if I can't reach the grapes they must be sour anyway). They are better, as evidenced by what you have to pay for them used. There's no shame in owning top of the line asian gear, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Seriously, though, all in good fun.........I am in no way trashing Pearl Masters Series drums....they are beautiful kits. I just believe that DW takes that extra step in every aspect of drumming, and for my money, that's all there is.
    but here again you are comparing the masters line to dw, i am talking about the custom masterworks line. did i mention custom bearing edges? cut perfectly to your specs. back to timbre matching, do you really think it makes that much dif.? do you think pearl or other companies just take any ole maple planks and throw them together? with the masterworks line they only use the best select materials. no they dont have the nice vertical grain vaneer like in the pic above, but do have some really nice exotic vaneers. i have some real nice pics of bubbinga and tamo ash kits with gold harware that are equally amazing, i just have to resize them for this site. as far as hardware. i am a HUGE fan of pearls 2000 series hardware. i also mount a 14" tom a 22" ride and an 18" china on the same bc2000 boom stand. trust me it dont budge. this thing has a ton of adjustments. i am not that impressed with the eliminator pedals. i will prolly always use dw pedals. i have had the same 5000 double kick for close to 15 years.

User Info Menu

Let me add one more thing. I don't play DW, but I did buy them, and I'm the roadie/drum tech who usually hauls, tunes, sets them up and tears them down. For our purposes, they are not practical to gig with. They are just way too nice for the type of venues my kids are currently playing. My son got a used Remo Legero 5 piece travel kit (mint condish) for Christmas which has now replaced the DW's as his gig rig. It's not anywhere near as nice as the DW set, but it's smaller, lighter, and not near the liability (money wise) that the Dw's are. So, in this particular sence, the Remo's, which cost a fraction of what the DW's cost, are the better drums.Additionally, as mic's are the next investment on the list, the 5 piece Remo is going to be way cheaper and easyer to mic than the 7 piece DW.

This whole argument is very much like what guitarists go on about with tube vs. solid state amps. Some guys hold the sincere delusion that nice solid state amps, like Line 6, are as good or better than top of the line tube amps like Messa Boogie. That's a load of crap, but they really believe it. On the other hand, even if I had the money to buy my 11 year old a Boogie, I probably wouldn't. They are high maintenane and are too valuable to haul around to the kind of gigs he plays at. So, no matter instrument you play you want quality gear that fits your needs, not neccessarily the absolute finest available. For the record, the Pear Masters are not practical for the average drummer either.

User Info Menu

Here's my 2 cents:

Value = need

I play a Pearl kit, but I think DW makes the most beautiful kits on the planet. It's just not practical for us working drummers to haul around something so expensive. Would you drive your brand new, mint condition Ferrari to work every day in the rain, snow, hail, etc.... Me neither.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Let me add one more thing. I don't play DW, but I did buy them, and I'm the roadie/drum tech who usually hauls, tunes, sets them up and tears them down. For our purposes, they are not practical to gig with. They are just way too nice for the type of venues my kids are currently playing. My son got a used Remo Legero 5 piece travel kit (mint condish) for Christmas which has now replaced the DW's as his gig rig. It's not anywhere near as nice as the DW set, but it's smaller, lighter, and not near the liability (money wise) that the Dw's are. So, in this particular sence, the Remo's, which cost a fraction of what the DW's cost, are the better drums.Additionally, as mic's are the next investment on the list, the 5 piece Remo is going to be way cheaper and easyer to mic than the 7 piece DW.

This whole argument is very much like what guitarists go on about with tube vs. solid state amps. Some guys hold the sincere delusion that nice solid state amps, like Line 6, are as good or better than top of the line tube amps like Messa Boogie. That's a load of crap, but they really believe it. On the other hand, even if I had the money to buy my 11 year old a Boogie, I probably wouldn't. They are high maintenane and are too valuable to haul around to the kind of gigs he plays at. So, no matter instrument you play you want quality gear that fits your needs, not neccessarily the absolute finest available. For the record, the Pear Masters are not practical for the average drummer either.

Very well said Roaddebris. I agree with you 100%

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDrummer
    Finally Big got in on this. I have been waiting for him to join in on this. Big is definately the DW expert on this site and I enjoy listening to his viewpoints. I had always been a Pearl man myself. If I had the money Big has definately convinced me to get a DW set. I really like the Blackjack Exotic Veneer they have because it ties in both my hobbies together. Actually poker his like a part time job which is kind of becoming my drum fund. So maybe I will be able to get a DW set here sometime soon.
    that IS a wicked kit!!!!!
    1drumbum...i like your dw to ferrari comparison. it would be safe to say if dw is ferrari, masterworks is lamborgini(sp). the decisions rich people have to make. i would like to have the money to have to make such a choice. but if i did it would be the masterworks:toungue: in charcoal fade over tamo ash vaneer with black chrome hardware.
    8x7... 6 ply birch
    10x8... 2 inner ply birch / 4 ply maple
    12x9...6 ply maple
    14x12... 4 outer ply maple / 2 inner ply mahogany
    16x16 floor... 2 outer ply maple / 4 inner ply mahogany
    18x16 floor...2 outer ply maple / 4 inner ply mahogany
    22x18 kick...2 outer ply maple / 4 inner ply mahogany
    18x16 kick...2 outer maple / 4 inner ply mahogany
    and 3" & 5" 6ply maple insert for my freefloater snare system w/ same finish.

anyone got 8 grand i can borrow?
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 01-04-2007 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    it would be safe to say if dw is ferrari, masterworks is lamborgini(sp).
    Here's what Ferrari, Lamborghini, and DW all have that Pearl lacks- mystique. Things like timbre matching, hand selected grain, micro-threads, etc. all add up to overkill. They aren't neccesary, but they demonstrate the builders obsession with quality. Ferraris, Lambourghinis, and DW's have a jewel like appearance and straight up sex appeal that is very rare in Asian made products. I'd say Pearl Masters are more like an Acura NSX than any Italian super car; very capable, but lacking true majic.

User Info Menu

Here's what Ferrari, Lamborghini, and DW all have that Pearl lacks- mystique. Things like timbre matching, hand selected grain, micro-threads, etc. all add up to overkill. They aren't neccesary, but they demonstrate the builders obsession with quality. Ferraris, Lambourghinis, and DW's have a jewel like appearance and straight up sex appeal that is very rare in Asian made products. I'd say Pearl Masters are more like an Acura NSX than any Italian super car; very capable, but lacking true majic.
    no offence, but please please please learn the dif between pearl MASTERS and MASTERWORKS lines. two very different things. i really do agree with you IF we were talking about the factory MASTERS line, if you go to the pearl drummers forum you will see some beautiful, hand made to order drums that are all you describe about dw. here is a link to the masterworks picture thread.
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...ad.php?t=50706