Thread: Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Tuning

Ok. I Like To think My Drums Sound Good.

But i Go To some friends houses who play drums and theirs sounds so much better. how can i tune them propperly?
    Joe-

www.bebo.com/cleargunshot
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My Band,One Song On The Page

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning

Hey Rev...Welcome to the Forum and we'll certainly try to be helpful. The trouble is, most Newbies don't bother to explain in detail. For instance, you didn;t tell us one single detail about your drums, the make, quality, how long you've had them, what you like to play etc. Also, you didn't tell us anything about the drums that your friends have that seem to sound so much better. That there suggests that you might have an inferior kit by comparison. However, we can't really tell you much until you provide us with some detail.

User Info Menu

Fiacovaz is right, we need a little detail, but i think it could be the fact that u hear ur drums every day and u play on a drum that sounds so good but it really doesnt sound much better than urs, when i play other drums i think the same thing but when i really think about it mine sound just as good. This was explained better by someone else in a different thread if i find it ill post it here.

And welcome, although uve been a member longer than me!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider is drums out front sound different than they do behind them when You are playing them. That is why really dead sounding heads sound good behind the kit and awful out front. could be the drums you hear that sound so good is because you are in a different position to hear them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Another thing to consider is drums out front sound different than they do behind them when You are playing them. That is why really dead sounding heads sound good behind the kit and awful out front. could be the drums you hear that sound so good is because you are in a different position to hear them!
    thats what stinks about not having anybody around that can play drums so i can get infront of mine so i can hear how they sound! but maybe when my student gets better ill be able to listen then!! =)
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

From what I understand, you need some controlled ring to get that sound going from out front. Which probably means you may here some extra unwanted ring from behind which should mix in with the other instruments
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

that does make sense, hmmm

User Info Menu

are you using stock heads? if you have some real heads, you should just be able to tune your drums how you want. also im pretty sure you and your friends have different sized rooms for the sets? windows and carpet and wood flooring, and especially tile all have to do with the outcome of the sound

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Well I play metal, I have Stock Heads, Small enough room,an unkown make(cant even find anything to do with them on google)=S, Playin 2 1/2 years.

Wanna buy aquarian heads soon though
    Last edited by IAmTheRev; 07-19-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Detail
    Joe-

www.bebo.com/cleargunshot
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    My Band,One Song On The Page

User Info Menu

trying to get the sound of sevenfolds snare?

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tuning

Frank Is Like Da "DAD Drum Teacher" I Never Had As A Kid...Proud To Call Him A Phriend ....EVERYTIME He Has Valid Points ,Kids. So Listen Up; And Listen Up Good.....or....Simply Pay Attention....We Need Details Darn It!!!! Hahahahaha
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!