Thread: Help Me!

User Info Menu

Default Help Me!

I know I already made a thread about this but my question didn't really get answered and anyways its kinda of its own question.

I was wondering if this is all I need to record my drumset.

Do I need to buy any other cables to make this work or is it ready when I order it. Will I need any computer software or can I just use Audacity. Please I need all of the help I can get about this recording equipment.

Thanks-ZG

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help Me!

does it come with the cords to plug into the mics?
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

ZG...I'm wondering why it is you don't contact the manufacturer or the supplier to find out if this is all you will need or if there are accessory items you will have to purchase. If you were to do that and make a purchase, you can then post a product review. There might be a few in here who may kknow the answer to your question but, isn't it better, sometimes, to do a little research on your own. I couldn't think of a better learning experience. BTW, I am definitely not anyone who knows about these sort of things. Find out what you can and then report back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    ZG...I'm wondering why it is you don't contact the manufacturer or the supplier to find out if this is all you will need or if there are accessory items you will have to purchase. If you were to do that and make a purchase, you can then post a product review. There might be a few in here who may kknow the answer to your question but, isn't it better, sometimes, to do a little research on your own. I couldn't think of a better learning experience. BTW, I am definitely not anyone who knows about these sort of things. Find out what you can and then report back.
    very good point
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

computer based recording with that setup will bring you nothing but grief - in fact its not really possible

the mikes dont really appear a great quality ... and you need good mics most of all if you want to make quality recordings

the behringer mixer will not interface with a computer at all - and you will have a latency of almost half a second - if you manage to get some inputs.. you will strike the drum and hear it in the speaker half a second later inside a computer. the gear looks good for live work .. but not recording.

You need some good quality mics and a pro soundcard - with audio units (AU) protools, or asio (cubase nuendo) specific protocols. This gives very low latency recording . You will need a soundcard with at least 8 inputs.

You are looking at some big bux tho.... very BIG. some older pro stuff is available on second hand markets (hammerfall) but be carefull with forward compatibility.. for example - can you find a driver for window XP or vista for this older gear?

- some key terms for google - edirol rme tascam firewire.. RME is beautiful stuff.. this manufacturer sure does have it right. Tascam are making quality gear also

i have been involved in digital recording - since analogue recording ceased to be popular. I know lots about it. Please feel free to ask me anything..

dont buy behringer powered mixer or any mixer ... any software worth its salt will have a built in virtual mixer for digital audio channels.

something like this will work...
    http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?prd=593

User Info Menu

Equipment required to record...

Drums & Recording equipment
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Guys thanks but that doesn't really answer my question accept for the mixer. I don't have alot of money I'm looking for something on the cheaper side. I have mics, okay. What other equipment do I need to record on my computer.

r00n:Thanks for the help its just thats alot of money, which I don't have. I'm looking for something on the cheaper side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    computer based recording with that setup will bring you nothing but grief - in fact its not really possible

the mikes dont really appear a great quality ... and you need good mics most of all if you want to make quality recordings

the behringer mixer will not interface with a computer at all - and you will have a latency of almost half a second - if you manage to get some inputs.. you will strike the drum and hear it in the speaker half a second later inside a computer. the gear looks good for live work .. but not recording.

You need some good quality mics and a pro soundcard - with audio units (AU) protools, or asio (cubase nuendo) specific protocols. This gives very low latency recording . You will need a soundcard with at least 8 inputs.

You are looking at some big bux tho.... very BIG. some older pro stuff is available on second hand markets (hammerfall) but be carefull with forward compatibility.. for example - can you find a driver for window XP or vista for this older gear?

- some key terms for google - edirol rme tascam firewire.. RME is beautiful stuff.. this manufacturer sure does have it right. Tascam are making quality gear also

i have been involved in digital recording - since analogue recording ceased to be popular. I know lots about it. Please feel free to ask me anything..

dont buy behringer powered mixer or any mixer ... any software worth its salt will have a built in virtual mixer for digital audio channels.

something like this will work...
    http://www.rolandcorp.com.au/default.aspx?prd=593

rOOn-
    Glad to see ya back!!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

nice to be back
    what did i miss?
    time for a lot of reading

User Info Menu

might want some clips if you plan on placing them on your toms... or just a good roll of duct tape

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.