Thread: basic beats

User Info Menu

Default basic beats

Im just curious,we all start out with the basic 2and 4 on the snare and 1 and 3 on the base and every on the high hats.
    So I pose the question ,is there a basic pattern that can be practiced if one were to purchase a double base pedal?

User Info Menu

Default Re: basic beats

not sure, maybe try eighth notes with ur double bass, if ur new at it, go pretty slow
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    not sure, maybe try eighth notes with ur double bass, if ur new at it, go pretty slow
    just new with double bass pedal..not drums

User Info Menu

yeah you need to start slow on the double bass. You can do your rudiments with your feet and train your left foot to keep up
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    what he said, just keep the timing with the hats and snare. but do try it slow, your not going to be able to just jump on that thing and be amazing the first time

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Well, i don't have a double bass pedal, but i'll be buying one soon and in anticipation, i've started just tapping out a double bass beat like this with my feet and hands...
    h= hihat b=bass s=snare

h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h
    --s---s---s---s-
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

8ths on the hihat
    16ths on the double bass
    snare on the count of 3

start it off slow and speed it up
    Last edited by MetalManMonkey; 07-13-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: extra advice added
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManMonkey View Post
    Well, i don't have a double bass pedal, but i'll be buying one soon and in anticipation, i've started just tapping out a double bass beat like this with my feet and hands...
    h= hihat b=bass s=snare

h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h
    --s---s---s---s-
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

8ths on the hihat
    16ths on the double bass
    snare on the count of 3

sounds like you got a lot on your hands... and feet

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MetalManMonkey View Post
    h= hihat b=bass s=snare

h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h
    --s---s---s---s-
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

8ths on the hihat
    16ths on the double bass
    snare on the count of 3

i did that a lot before i got my double bass pedal too! lol keep it up
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

I can now (sort of) play sextuplets (16th note triplets) on the imaginary double bass drum
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey: