Thread: Oh my aching eyes!

User Info Menu

Default Oh my aching eyes!

One of the practice pieces my instructor has me doing now has a bunch of very similar looking figures mixed together and my eyes are going batty keeping them straight! So, bear with me as I blow off some steam

Here is a snippet of what I am doing, as you can see the little 16th note beam marks keep flipping around so sometime it is on the E A and sometimes on the E&.

I ended up enlarging it to to better accomidate my over 40 year old eyes, and that helps. But whew! it is still a challenge to sight read. It is also a challenge to count, since I am mostly doing a full 1e&a counts on most of the measures, but only playing the e/a or e/& etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will keep taking it slow and if nothing else, I will eventually have it memorized

oh, as an aside, I am doing this on the hand drum as part of my attempt to learn to read music. Once I get this a down a little more he wants me to revoice this and turn the 16th's into open notes, 8ths into slaps, and quarter notes to bases - my mind boggles at the concept! I have to say though this whole exercise is really helping with synchopation - very little of it is actually on the down beat.

Well, back to my sing/song counting and trying to keep the notes straight...
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Oh my aching eyes!

Goodluck bud, Splitting the 16's are very annoying, especially once you add in the 16th note rests, It makes the paper look a lot harder then it really is.

What I do is when I have an annoying pass like this, Write out the count, then sub-divide it out loud (Ever heard a drum corp all say dut on the beats? Thats sub-dividing) then introduce the drum.

Goodluck with everything! =)

User Info Menu

I'm not sure that I understand what the problem is. I played the snipet on my knees as soon as I saw it. Nice little ditty of an exercise in counting.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Oh my aching eyes!

midgard:

Ever thought of having your eyes checked? I'm not being a smart-aleck here, man, but if you're having to enlarge the notes on your music score to make them easier to see, you could be overdue for an eye exam...

Just a thought...

BTW, it sounds like quite a good workout!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

LOL! You guys are soooo supportive! It was all those partial beams flopping around from end to end that was causing me grief when it was smaller - like Ch33zz says, it makes it look more difficult than it is. You are right fiacovaz, it is a nice exercise in counting and I will get there! It is all part of learning to read music.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Yea, once you get a good bit of experience under your belt and you decide to look back on your old lessons, I will bet, you will ask yourself if you were really that ignorant. I know thats what I did, I looked at my old counting excersizes and turned red...I was alone in my room practicing xD

But goodluck, Just wait (if you do join the scotch band) till they give you a line, with notes on the top and bottom, Talk about looking tough.