Thread: Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

User Info Menu

Cool Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

I stumbled upon these during a drum lesson with my long-time teacher and friend (who owns the drum shop) about six weeks ago. (For the first time in 22 years of studying and playing, I actually broke a bongo head on the set that I use at the shop!)

The store owner had just taken delivery of about four pair of these bongos in different wood tones; the ones I played were in a light-oak shade. They felt fairly light for professional bongos (only about two-thirds the weight of my ol' favorite LP Professional Series II's); I have not played them between my knees, but bongo players who do will find them more comfortable than most professional drums.

These are equipped with FiberSkyn II heads; while I prefer skin heads for most of my hand drums, these heads blew me away when I played them. They tuned easily and didn't seem to "creak" the way skin heads sometimes do as you tighten them. And when I tuned the big head to a low note (the teacher suggested I try tuning them the way Bobby Rosengarden played his bongos), it had the same "ballsy" sound I'd associated with some conga drums! (The other night, in fact, I used the large bongo with two congas while taking a salsa-music lesson and it sounded just like I was playin' three congas.)

And, while I consider callused fingers a badge of honor among hand drummers, the Remos have finger-guard rims. That, coupled with the smooth surface of the FiberSkynII heads, made them really comfortable to play, even when I was playin' hard, high-speed riffs and rolls.

The price on these (at least at this store) was approximately $179.00 (which is less than half the cost of what I paid for my beloved LP's nearly 15 years ago). Where was Remo with these bongos in 1992? They look good, they sound great, and they are one hell of a value for the money! (DrumBum, take note!)

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Oh, I will. I'm really becoming a believer in the new direction that Remo is going. I tried their congas and they are flat out awesome. I will be on the lookout for their bongos!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I don't play Bongos much but I like to when I have the chance,And I am still looking to try the Remo Bongos.They are even coming out with Remo Drumsets.I personally think they will expand even more....

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

Hey, Sabian, you'll love playin' the bongos...Remo has come up with some killer hand percussion, as I originally posted.

Actually, Remo has built drumsets since at least the 1980's...one of their first efforts was the RIMS series--they looked like practice pads on skinny mounts, but their PTS drumheads did a surprisingly good job at sounding like a regular set. I haven't played them myself, but I remember attending at least one party where the set drummer was playing them and they sounded pretty damn good.

And Remo used what they learned to develop their current line of sets...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

HOLA como estas BONGOBRO*DRAGON*CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(GATO) THESE SOUND very Cool *I am going to really check them out**I been a MANOS TAMBORES PLAYER all my life ITs going to be a NEW JOURNEY ,since I really Love My LPS**it seems that your pretty sold on these ,so GRACIAS for the INFO(KNOWLEDGE) Mi AMIGO -DRAGON

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

hello Bongobro! nice to see you!! i'm very interested in Remo bongos after reading your article! Now i wonder what type of Remo bongos you played or is RC-P780-00 good enough? i also checked other threads in this foram and i saw many friends choose Lp bongos and changed drum head into Remo themselves. so my questions is, should i buy a Lp matador series(or Meinl free ride series) bongos and change the drum head myself or buy a remo bongos directly? are there any differences between these drum shells?look forward your advise! thx a lot!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Remo Crown Professional Series Bongos

Hey hurila!

Thank you for the kind words on my review--that was one of the first percussion reviews I made, nearly four years ago!

I must admit I didn't make note of the model number, but if RC-P780-00 is the current model, the results should be pretty much the same as in the original review...

Many LP players have switched to the Remo heads because of the "feel" and the sound quality...if you have test-played the Remos and/or the LPs and Meinls, you may consider that as an alternative. A lot depends on how much you want to spend on new shells and new heads, however. The Remos impressed me because they sounded great and were less expensive (four years ago) than my LP Professional Series II did in 1992.

If price is the main factor, you won't be disappointed with the Remos. If you have the extra money to spend, you may be happy with putting FiberSkyns on LP or Meinl shells. Be sure to measure carefully so you don't end up with the wrong size head for your shells...

Either way, I hope you enjoy playin' them as much as I did!

Welcome aboard from one skin-slapper to another!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Thread revivals with posts from banned users always freaked me out for some reason
    I'm a djembe type of drummer, so I don't really have much to contribute lol.

Sorry guys.
    Off-Topic dweller.
    I use the right side of my sig, yes.
    I am member no. 7196! You?
    PDP Platinum Series drums
    Sizes:
    - 22" x 18" bass drum
    - 10" x 8" rack tom
    - 12" x 9" rack tom
    - 14" x 12" floor tom
    - 6" x 14" snare drum
    ...and throw in some Zildjian A's in there.

User Info Menu

I have just recieved remo crown bongos by courier.Most hardware is stronger than remo thai bongos but bottom hoops not so strong at welded seams.Will still tune to tightest pro level.i.e:-macho hiG+hembra D.Overall though i think that remo thai bongos are the best value for money based on construction+sound quality.The remo crown congas though are of excellent construction.I have 4 of them and they sound great!