Thread: Discography

User Info Menu

Default Discography

This is something I have been thinking about for quite some time. There have been several threads that play around this theme...What's your favorite song to play to? what's the best music to play along to? The recent post by DrummerDavie...connecting the drums to the melody, really opened this up for even deeper discussion. Listening to all kinds of music is the single most important thing we can do to enhance ourselves as Drummer musicians. So, I would like to post this thread to invite all of you to list those CD's that you feel have helped you develop into a better drummer and musician.

When I simply want to listen to music that will help to expand my area of drumming, I will listen to anything by Antonio Carlos Jobim and Stan Getz. The soft melodic strains of the Bossa Nova and energy of the Samba are all about "Feeling" the music. Also, there is, I believe, much to be gained from by listening to the Classics. Gustav Holzt's "The Planets", Maurice Ravel's "Bolero", Resphiggi's "The Pines Of Rome" and "Festa Romana" are all excellent examples of Tone Poems that are all about painting music scenes.

For pure Jazz...I listen to John Scoffield, Michael Brecker, Dave Brubeck, Manhattan Jazz Quartet, Miles Davis and Gil Evans and on and on and on.

For great Rock, nothing is better for me that anything Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and KISS.

So, guys and gals, put on your thinking caps and list your discography of what music helps you to be the best that you can be.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Discography

Even though I am somewhat new to drumming, I have a cd club that inspires me. They are:

CCR greatest hits Vol 1 & 2
    Audioslave debut
    Rainbow Long Live Rock N Roll
    Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
    Black Sabbath debut and Mob Rules
    Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium
    Iggy Pop Lust For Life
    Sugarloaf Greatest Hits
    Aerosmith Night in the Ruts
    ZZTop tres hombres

That's all I can remember, now.