Thread: major problem, well kinda...

User Info Menu

Default major problem, well kinda...

Well i cracked my zbt 16in. crash, its right on the edge of the cymbal and is about an inch long, it isnt that big of a deal since its my zbt but if it was my A custom id be cryin. anything i can do to fix it? Help! Thanks
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Default Re: major problem, well kinda...

You should drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from getting worse.

User Info Menu

thats wat my old teacher did, i thought about that, but will it affect other end cause i cant drill a whole there
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    thats wat my old teacher did, i thought about that, but will it affect other end cause i cant drill a whole there
    Can you post any pics? I'm confused.

User Info Menu

yeah just give me a few seconds.

User Info Menu

Is the other end of the crack at the edge of the cymbal?

Drill a hole at the end of the crack and it should stop it from spreading inward.

User Info Menu

Ok here is the best i could do, dont know if u can tell anything from this or not cause i couldnt get away from the glare
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

just replace it. its just a ZBT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie S. View Post
    Is the other end of the crack at the edge of the cymbal?

Drill a hole at the end of the crack and it should stop it from spreading inward.
    yes the other end of the crack is at the edge of the cymbal,

And i doubt those pics are gonna help,

If i drill a hole should i drill it or have a professional or whatever lol and how ig of a hole. thanks guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    just replace it. its just a ZBT
    yeah i prolly will end up doing that, when i get the money. But for now i am gonna try drilling it, and if i screw it up, not to big of a deal, not like i can hurt it any worse, if i do get a new cymbal, im looking at prolly A custom medium crash, 16in. what do u think about those

User Info Menu

bummer dude, don't replace with another ZBT though, replace with a pro level if you are going to replace it.

User Info Menu

yeah thats what i said in the last post, i am gonna replace it with an A custom if i do, but can someone tell me how big to drill the hole

User Info Menu

Justin, I haven't cracked a cymbal yet, so I can't help you with drilling advice. I can suggest you consider how you hit your cymbals before you get the next one. If you hit straight on, you might crack another cymbal. The best technique for cymbals is to strike with a glancing strike. You won't be creating excessive stress on the cymbal that way.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

when u say straight on, exactly what do u mean?

User Info Menu

Just drill your hole large enough to stop the crack. I would say only slightly larger than the widest spot on the crack and drill it at the very end of the crack to stop the progression.

User Info Menu

yeah i did that, now back to pastor Bob's comment, exactly how should i hit my cymbal in a way that wont cause it to break i guess.

User Info Menu

makes sense now when i heard you drilled a hole in the cymbal
    PB- hitting it straight on... do you mean like, wailing that one cymbal. and glancing strike, is that just a regular hit, enough to get the accent of the note, but not over do it?

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Cut a wedge from it with tin snips...no big deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    yeah i did that, now back to pastor Bob's comment, exactly how should i hit my cymbal in a way that wont cause it to break i guess.
    I think PB was saying don't hit the cymbal straight on like you would hit a snare or tom. I'm not saying you would hit the cymbal with the tip of the stick though, you would use the shoulder of the stick. Just don't hit the cymbal directly, swipe at em.

User Info Menu

Exactly Nik. With a drum, you strike straight into the head, but with a cymbal you want to strike it with a slightly sideways motion. When you strike a cymbal straight on, all the energy is focused on the point of impact. But if you use a glancing (slight sideward) motion, the energy is absorbed over a wider area of the cymbal and there will be less likelihood of cracking. And don't worry, because you'll still get a great sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    You should drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from getting worse.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS NIK *MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THATS GREAT ADVICE **I done this AND IT works very good ** GRACIAS*WHAT-EVER works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST IS is GREAT within their own unique (STYLE)(ARTISTRY)
    within their JOURNEYS * GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Exactly Nik. With a drum, you strike straight into the head, but with a cymbal you want to strike it with a slightly sideways motion. When you strike a cymbal straight on, all the energy is focused on the point of impact. But if you use a glancing (slight sideward) motion, the energy is absorbed over a wider area of the cymbal and there will be less likelihood of cracking. And don't worry, because you'll still get a great sound.
    when u say sidewards do u mean hitting it and kinda sliding my stick to the left or right?