Thread: Pacific snare drum question

User Info Menu

Default Pacific snare drum question

I just bought a Pacific snare /black oval badge maple finish,\. ( on the box is model PSL1-5514 ) Its a 14 x 5.5 with the DW numbered tuning pattern printed on a "Pacific" single ply white coated batter.
    After pulling the batter head it looks to be a maple/something/maple shell. The bearing edge is cut ok but needed to be sanded smooth and waxed as well. Its an 8 lug, and after a tune up sounds ok.
    Any one own one or have any details on this one.?

thanks!

bill

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pacific snare drum question

I have one, they are eight ply all maple snares. I have modified it extensively and would be glad to share with you if interested. it now sounds much better than just good. The stock head needs to be the first thing to go. I use an aquarian coated focus X, and it has drayed it out a bit and controls some of the ring and tames it a bit. I also changed the snare wire and put some pure sound customs on it and that really woke it up as well.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I searched the item # on the box and found the following:
    DW-Pacific PSL15514

LQ MAPLE/MAH/MAPLE 5.5X14 SNARE DRUM

Cena detaliczna (brutto): 576 PLN

I dont know what LQ is , I think MAH is mahognony ( the center ply/plys are darker wood ) so this may be a different model than yours,??

User Info Menu

How old is it then? I know mine is 100 percent maple. Was yours made in Asia before they moved to Mexico? I would love to see pictures of it. I am curious as to what you have.

User Info Menu

I would bet LQ is lacquer
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I bet your right.....makes since!

User Info Menu

I don't know how old the drum is, bought it used, but the badge says made in Taiwan.

thanks.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Don, Don .Don..........

Fortunately DW apparently stepped back up to everyones expectations ( I am a long time DW player ) and built a quality Pacific drum line that they could be proud of and at a great price point!
    I bet the newer maples are very nice indeed. I might buy a set!

( Nothing wrong with Taiwan or MAH)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bldrums View Post
    I don't know how old the drum is, bought it used, but the badge says made in Taiwan.

thanks.
    Bill
    Made in Taiwan explains the maple and mahogany mix then. The newer snares and shells are 100 percent maple plys. You can still do allot with that snare to make it sound pretty good though. I always look at these types of things as an opportunity to experiment and see how much I can improve the way it sounds with minimal investment. Have fun with it, if you mess it up you are really not out all that much.

User Info Menu

For sure, I enjoy getting my hands on drums that the last person couldn't get to "sound good"! A head change and proper tuning / snare strainer adjustments and a detailed cleaning did wonders for this drum.
    FYI I replaced the single ply original head with an Evans Genera HD Dry Coated since it tends want to "honk" a bit with the thinner batter ( even with a MoonGel) I may take another look at the bearing edges and check it on a mirror. Re cutting bearing edges is something I personally only try as a last ditch effort , I wouldn't touch a nice shell myself.
    I have turned some pretty crummy abused snares into respectable instruments over the years and almost always for little $. and lots of satisfaction.

I think any drummer using the right technique, parts and patience can make any drum (thats in round), sound good.

hey Dog.......so how u know im not out all that much anyway??!)
    Last edited by bldrums; 07-22-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: chg that to: Evans Genera HD Dry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bldrums View Post
    For sure, I enjoy getting my hands on drums that the last person couldn't get to "sound good"! A head change and proper tuning / snare strainer adjustments and a detailed cleaning did wonders for this drum.
    FYI I replaced the single ply original head with an Evans control since it tends want to "honk" a bit with the thinner batter ( even with a MoonGel) I may take another look at the bearing edges and check it on a mirror. Re cutting bearing edges is something I personally only try as a last ditch effort , I wouldn't touch a nice shell myself.
    I have turned some pretty crummy abused snares into respectable instruments over the years and almost always for little $. and lots of satisfaction.

I think any drummer using the right technique, parts and patience can make any drum (thats in round), sound good.

hey Dog.......so how u know im not out all that much anyway??!)
    I didn't, I just made an assumption!

User Info Menu

30.00 including stand.