Thread: Greetings

User Info Menu

Smile Greetings

Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have not played drums since the early 80s. Played in a few bands back then and even had paying gigs at a few local clubs. I have a teenage Son now who loves guitar and is pretty good at it. He has seen some of my pictures and vids from the old days jamming in clubs and stuff and has finally talked me into getting a set so I can jam with him. I opted for an electronic set (Simmons SD7k) so I can play quietly without disturbing others (without breaking the bank) and to see if I still have what it takes. Been playing for a week now and cannot get enough of it. I made a few vids and put them on Youtube (under FloridaSkater07 ) and am getting good reviews. No doubt I have forgotten a lot but I tell you its fun and I spend every spare minute jamming. The Worship Minister at my church has even expressed in interest in me jamming with them so I am pretty pumped. So I stumbled on to this Drum forum and figured I check it out. thanks for allowing the opportunity to be here.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Greetings

OSD-
    That's great! Glad to have ya here!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard OldSchoolDrummer!

Hey, there are a lot more people than you think who played in their younger years and came back to drumming after a long haitus. I know, because I'm one of them.

The longer you play the more you'll realize that you really didn't forget how to play, you just got rusty. Practice gets rid of the rust, and what I discovered is that I'm a lot smarter than I was in my 20's (no offense to anyone intended), and I pick things up a lot faster now. I think that today I play better than I did back in the old days, mostly because I'm not inserting fills where they're not needed (we don't all have to be Keith Moon), and I can enhance a song much better by paying attention to the song structure than I can by just trying to be flashy and impress people.

At any rate, have fun, that's what it's all about!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Welcome

User Info Menu

Welcome OSD!!

Glad to hear you're playing again.
    Family jams are great. It's a real kick to see your kid becoming a good musician.

Keep it up!!

User Info Menu

Welcome OSD!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat OldSchoolDrummer. The Simmons SD7K is a pretty solid kit. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome to drumchat

User Info Menu

welcome nice to have another seasoned person here !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome oldschool, welcome! It is good to have another here with a similar background in music as my own. I laid off of for twenty years and and came back to it about 6 years ago and I am sorry I ever stopped to Begin with. I kick myself all of the time for it, I think where I would be as a musician and how much more accomplished I would be now if I had continued to play and laid off.

User Info Menu

Welcome OSD! Isn't it amazing how our kids can influence us? My situation is somewhat similar. I got into drumming because my son wants to jam with me.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum OSD

User Info Menu

welcome aboard!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Welcome and enjoy the return to the drums!
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate