Thread: Definitions??

User Info Menu

Default Definitions??

I need some help, i've been reading articles on how to read drum tab i've printed off for Nirvana, my band switched songs, anywho, can someone help me out and explain/ how to's on what the following terms are?

Click Hi-Hat with foot
    Accent
    Flam

Source is: Here

Thanks to anyone who helps.

Also, if anyone has any tips on actually drumming Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" please by all means, reply (I'm new so please try to keep the terms simple ).

User Info Menu

"click hi-hat with foot" = push your hi-hat pedal just like you do with your bass drum pedal.
    "accent" = hit just that note harder/louder then the rest of them.
    "flam" = basically, hit the drum it calls for with both sticks at the same time, one harder then the other-but at the same time. That's the basic jist of a flam. You need to see it done to understand it better. (There's a difference in the hight of each stick before and after the note is played).
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

yeah its hard to explain a flam, pretty much what i do is hit hard with my left hand but you're right hand follows and hits like the millisecond after that. they have to be very very close, but not at the exact same time. and make sure you dont "buzz" or roll on the first hit, or have any rebound at all, cuz then it would be a ruff. (if thats how u spell it..) but i guess a ruff would work.. but being specific, theres a difference.. this is soo hard to explain.. go to a drum website and find a video of it.. lol this is harder than i thought
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Going in today to see if I can drum it via, tabs. Wish me luck.

User Info Menu

Leslie's right. In a flam, the second note follows the first by just a hair. You can eventually control this too. In latin and jazz music, drummers will often play what's called 'wide flams'. You simply separate the distance b/t the two strokes that much more. It's a great effect!

Matt, if you're not aware of it, check out the Drum Tabs Database. It points to all of the free drumtabs songs/sites out there on the net.

User Info Menu

Tee hee, thanks. I have my Nirvana song tabbed already, but couldn't hurt to learn more.